Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: bring back 15 round fights

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Only the Facebook generation could have a problem with 15 round fights. 'My attention span just can't take it!'. Please.
    LOL Yeah, says the old boy on an online boxing forum!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Only the Facebook generation could have a problem with 15 round fights. 'My attention span just can't take it!'. Please.
    2 different things there, one is a decorum/behavioral simulation and the other is a synaptic transmission.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will have you know that my average post length is 182 words long. Twitter cannot handle me.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will have you know that my average post length is 182 words long. Twitter cannot handle me.
    not only that Miles old chap but your average syllabic suggestion per word is "4". Stellar.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well sure I'm not about to get into this one...

Social media sucks, bringing up a generation of retards who are unable to speak to each other in the real world.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    3 more rounds show who the real champion is and I think fighters like Floyd would love it.
    hell yeah three more rounds to show off his ballerina skills
    Modern opponents are heavier and more explosive and would wear out a nostalgic boxer much faster.

Notice this statement can only be made to one division thus the knowledge here is :7 weight class-deficient. Unless we look at the extra 10 divisions added on in the past 20 or so years.

Oh, wait a modern Welterweight is much more lean in muscle mass, with his general nutrition centers at your local shopping mall. While those old Neanderthal Welterweight just aren't as toned, they don't have the modern techniques, the modern whey protein and creatine.
    Obviously a 1960's MW would never compare with a modern day MW. Today's MW are totally bigger, stronger, smarter and more uh...athletic. Yeah that's it! More uh, athletic.

With that being said; the Jetsons' Astro would slaughter the Flintstones Dino. Dino is prehistoric, Astro is a scientific canine.
    Well Slim, you actually did answer your own question here.

A MW today IS approximately 15lbs heavier on fight night AND much leaner too so all up we're talking a difference of about 25lbs or 2 or 3 divisions.
    Thanks to the 24 weigh rule yes, but their is a downside to that. See Brandon Rios vs Murray. Per his trainer Robert Garcia dude plumped up 20lbs, slowed him down. See Chavez Jr who blew up beyond 20lbs in 24 hours...he had health issues over that.
    See the 1990's Michael Moorer could gain 10-15lbs then come in as a CW vs a LHW that shit is unfair. That's why he left the LWH division 22-0 22KO's helluva an advantage.

Even if we completely disregard weight when discussing limited divisions and strictly compare fighters cross eras who are the same size on fight night, the performance of the modern fighters over 12 rounds is FAR more explosive than before to the point it isn't debatable.
    Ray Robinson had 108 & was explosive from bell 2 bell. Henry Armstrong 100 knockouts, Archie Moore 130 knockouts. These guys had dynamite in their hands that never softened over a bout.
    Oh, wait.. I guess fighters of the past didn't have the well trained conditioned chins next?

12 rounds is simply a superior figure for a boxing match over 15 beyond any doubt.
    Ten-Count for Jose Sulaiman - Boxing.com
    Thank Jose for that. It was a move to benefit his ABC belt org. 15 round championship fights were reduced to 12 rounds for his benefit. Weigh-ins before fights were pushed back 24 hours for his benefit not the fighters and dang-tootin' sure not for the fans. & of course the 8 weight classes were spread out like manure in a field. Then add on those fagtastic catch weight fights. I mean why do like Armstrong and fight ...& win 3 different weight classes -without ballooning up in 24 hours and catchweighting his way to the Hall of Fame.

The ONLY thing relevant is that championship level fights are long enough for tactical boxing plans to play out (like wearing down the body etc), for which purpose, 12 rounds is AMPLE long enough.

I have no problem with 12 rounds fights, but I have a problem with fans who don't know the history of why it came to be. Only you -yourself can say if you knew this- or even if it matters to you. This is totally my opinion, nothing more.

Other than that, the longer a fight goes for, the more it is simply an endurance and a pacing game and the less it is an explosive event. Longer=weaker.
    Once again I can think of too many fighters who brought their ass the whole of the game. Like Arguello vs Pryor. They fought harder in 14 rounds than most guys do in 4 rounds. Salvador Sanchez vs Azumah Nelson another example. There are a lot of stinkers that have gone on 15 or 12 rounds, but boxing fans. Hardcore fans not fans of an era or fans of this guy. But fans of boxing KNOW some of the greatest fights happened during the era of the 15 rounders.

Ten-Count for Jose Sulaiman - Boxing.com

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Slim one of your comments sticks out to me here..

The one about Robinson and Moore etc with 100+ KO's on their record, flat strap from bell to bell and dynamite in their fists...

Tell THAT to Manny Pacquiao (regarding workrate)
    Tell THAT to Gennady Golovkin (regarding dynamite)

And as for the 100 KO's, the reason is the same as for WHY they could perform as they did perform...

They fought opposition so abysmally poor, hardly any if any of them would ever step foot in a boxing ring with a top rated professional, let alone not get knocked out well within 12, let alone 15!

Obviously nobody could have so many fights against good opposition.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The one about Robinson and Moore etc with 100+ KO's on their record, flat strap from bell to bell and dynamite in their fists...

U -R right. Pac has shown a gr8 workrate, but different from whom? Paul Williams and Margarito's workrate at one point was about 100 thrown per round. Then watch Norman Hayes vs Jake Lamotta, there were no punchstats then, but if I could estimate maybe 110 per round. Mickey Ward vs Drunken warrior averaged 100 plus per round. HW's Ike vs Tua averaged 80 per round. Pac is an example of what has already been happening. Era dont dictate workrate. Individuality does.

Why? he is a great prospect looking to do what others b4 him has done: KTFO's have long been a staple of the MW division. See Gerald McCellan 85% KO ratio. see Jr. Middleweight KO artist Julian Jackson- he is THE HUMAN ONE PUNCH HIGHLIGHT REEL 49 KOS out of 55 wins.

And as for the 100 KO's, the reason is the same as for WHY they could perform as they did perform...

They fought opposition so abysmally poor, hardly any if any of them would ever step foot in a boxing ring with a top rated professional, let alone not get knocked out well within 12, let alone 15!

I remember on a few occasions you responded to others that if they havent watched/viewed ALL the fighters opponents over thousands of them, then they shouldnt claim to know. Psst; practice what U preach.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

U -R right. Pac has shown a gr8 workrate, but different from whom? Paul Williams and Margarito's workrate at one point was about 100 thrown per round. Then watch Norman Hayes vs Jake Lamotta, there were no punchstats then, but if I could estimate maybe 110 per round. Mickey Ward vs Drunken warrior averaged 100 plus per round. HW's Ike vs Tua averaged 80 per round. Pac is an example of what has already been happening. Era dont dictate workrate. Individuality does.

Why? he is a great prospect looking to do what others b4 him has done: KTFO's have long been a staple of the MW division. See Gerald McCellan 85% KO ratio. see Jr. Middleweight KO artist Julian Jackson- he is THE HUMAN ONE PUNCH HIGHLIGHT REEL 49 KOS out of 55 wins.

I remember on a few occasions you responded to others that if they havent watched/viewed ALL the fighters opponents over thousands of them, then they shouldnt claim to know. Psst; practice what U preach.
    Well Slim...

That WAS actually what I considered one of my "smoking gun" arguments..

And I suppose you're right.. I also am not immune to that philosophy.

I'll shut up for now. Because from there on as you will tell me if I continue, it's only my opinion (with regards to modern training methods, skills, athleticism etc), I stand by it, I can see it! We KNOW of some methods now which have replaced old.

But statistically there's only really the weight argument, and if we adjust for real weight in lower divisions, then we're only really talking about HW.

Well done.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

smoking gun? The only thing max power is smoking is gun.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

15=darkness, misery and boredom
    12=enlightenment, joy, and interest

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged