Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 18yr old, bit of help please

Hi,

Im really keen about getting into boxing.

Im 18yrs old, really skinny but tall (bout 6'1). i think i fall into the super featherweight division.

anyway just a few questions:

1) at 18 yrs old, am i too old to be getting into any serious amateur boxing?

2) before i go to my local boxing gym, should i get fit and built up?

3) if i join an ABC and work really hard, how long will it be until i am able to contend in real fights?

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 18yr old, bit of help please

Quote Originally Posted by Medina

Hi,

Im 18yrs old, really skinny but tall (bout 6'1). i think i fall into the super featherweight division.

3) if i join an ABC and work really hard, how long will it be until i am able to contend in real fights?

thanks.
    1. Hell no
    2. Doesn't matter, the trainer will tell you what to do when you get there.
    3. Depends on your skill level, whenever your trainer thinks you are ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your in the same boat I'm in except I'm a super heavyweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KevK
    Quote Originally Posted by Medina

Hi,

thanks.
    1. Hell no
    2. Doesn't matter, the trainer will tell you what to do when you get there.
    3. Depends on your skill level, whenever your trainer thinks you are ready.
    I agree on all.

for #3 - It could be 3 months or 2 years.. depends on skill and opputunities
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hello mate, welcome to the forum.

im 18, and i fight welter weight, and 18 isnt too old atall. most of the guys we have coming down and wanting to fight are in their mid to late 20's. get down the the gym asap. you dont need preliminary training, theyl push you and help you with that when you get ot the gym. if you can get out and do some running before hand it cant hurt.

as for going into fight... it depends on your trainer and you. some gyms put their fighters in soon, and others like to keep them back. i fought after being at my gym for only 2 months, but i know lads whov had their first fight after a year or 2's worth of training... you should be aware of that when you consider fighting.

basically you need to get as fit as possible, listen and learn, and get a fuck load of sparring under your belt. make sure that the guys at your gym know you want to compete.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1) 18 is not too old
    2) you should stay as u r till u start training if ur 6ft 1 and super featherweight ull have a big reach advantage so why gain weight and lose tht advantage
    3)as everyone else has said depends when you are ready

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some lads in my gym where ready after a few months, I was ready after about 6, I started slowly then suddenly my technique came together and I learned how to get myself fit.

Missed the Season because my dad was in a road accident and it ended up taking me over a year before I got to actually compete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

appreciate the replies people, thanks.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are far from being too old to learn to box, but you should bear in mind that, should you come to decide to pursue the activity seriously- as a pro- that you have no time to waste, like those guys that started at eleven and got to play for a few years
    If you want to box start now; don't waste time trying to get "fit and built up" because you have, as of yet, no real idea of how fit you need to be or if building up would work to your advantage. Start a regimen of exercise that features 15 minutes or so of stretching exercises and calisthenics, as well as as fast paced early morning walk of 1-2 miles. After you finish at the gym in the evening you'll want to do some "roadwork"; I'd recommend finding a jogging track and the following program: break your work into three 3 minute rounds with a 1 minute rest period between them. Before you begin walk two rapid laps to warm up, and then go directly into the first 'round'. You'll want to alternately jog at a good pace, run, and sprint, breaking up the three minutes @ evenly. During the one minute rests continue to walk briskly. You'll treat the other two rounds as you did the first, but trychanging the pattern so that in one round you run for the majority of time and in another round let sprintimng carry the day.
    As you work on your punches when you first go to the gym, do not neglect your defensive skills. As you learn each punch in turn learn the basic defensive moves to protect against the punch. You'll be thankful when you do spar, which should be within 3-5 weeks; by that time you'll be able to do a couiple rounds and you'll be ready to learn about how to actually land punches

Thread Information