Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Karl Mildenberger ~ 'I Had The Formula To Beat Cassius Clay'

~ After Bout Comments ~

Max Schmeling >

"Karl was out-classed at the end, but he exhibited great determination."

"I thought that Karl fought very hard, especially in Rounds 2 and 11 which he
    dominated and won."

"Karl proved that he belonged in the Ring with the Champion. 'Milde' was competitive
    in every Round, except for the 6th."

"Karl did make the bout close, and he hung in there, even when he was getting a
    beating. He has nothing to be ashamed off. He put up a good fight."

"I thought that 'Milde' gave everything he had. He left nothing in the dressing room."

"Clay is good."

Comparison between Joe Louis and Cassius Clay >

"On his best day, Joe beats Clay everytime. Joe hit too hard, and was fast while in close."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-17-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ After Bout Comments ~

Karl Mildenberger >

"It was a good contest. I think I showed everybody out there on the 'Formula'
    to beat Clay."

"I had blurred vision in my left-eye from the 8th Round and on. The blood from
    the cut kept getting in my eye. That's why I took so many punches in the end.
    I really had trouble seeing his punches coming in."

"He did hurt me several times with his right-hand, but I new where I was and
    recovered quickly."

"I thought that the Referee {Teddy Waltham} was a bit quick in his stoppage. I
    could have gone on. I was 'stunned' for a second, but my head cleared."

"Sure I'd like a rematch. As soon as my cuts heal, I'll be back in the Gym. Clay
    knows that he was in a fight here."

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali out boxes and batters Max Schmeling.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ After Bout Comments ~

~ Der Speigel ~

The German Magazine had the bout scored {7-4-0 in Rounds} for the Champion - Cassius Clay.

The Champion was the class of the show, but 'Milde' was persistent and aggressive in
    his attempt to defeat the fast-working Champion.

The Champion was the better man in Rounds 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10. Mildenberger did well
    in Rounds 3, 4, 9 and 11.

The Champion was 'befuddled' by 'Milde' early in the bout, as he was surprised by the
    Challenger's speed. Mildenberger was the better fighter in early part of each session,
    as he continually backed up the Champion.

But the Champion came on strong over the last-seconds of each session, as he did
    in Round 5, when he dropped 'Milde' at the Bell with a fast jolting right-hand.

The Champion was 'not' impressive at all defensively, as he was tagged numerous times
    by awkward punches from 'Milde', as he was boxing with his hands low and by his sides.

Clay had a very good Round in the 6th, as he pummeled 'Milde' whenever he wanted to
    open up and fire-away, especially at the end of the Round.

But Mildenberger fought courageously in Rounds 7 and 8, and made the Champion work,
    not giving him a rest, as he put on constant pressure. In the second-half of Round 8,
    Clay caught 'Milde' with a powerful left-hook that turned his legs to 'jelly' and dropped
    him, but 'Milde' was up quickly.

Despite suffering a Knockdown in Round 8, 'Milde' was the effective-aggressor in Round 9,
    and did a good job in controlling the action.

Late in Round 10, Clay dropped 'Milde' again, this time with a 'bolt-action' straight right-hand
    to the point-of-the-chin as Mildenberger was walking in with his guard down.

The punch sent 'Milde' down on his back, where he did a backwards somersault, before
    struggling up at the '6-Count'.

But the gritty Challenger fought on, despite a bloody left-eye which effected his vision. And
    again, 'Mllde' rallied in the next Round {Round 11} and fought well, winning the Round as
    he out-punched the Champion who back-pedaled around the Ring, and looked arm-weary
    and puzzled.

But in Round 12, 'Milde' fought with blurry vision and could not see the right-hands coming
    in, and was caught by another jolting right-hand which staggered him.

Referee - Teddy Waltham wisely halted the bout at that point.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-19-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Monday ~ September 12, 1966

Fight Promoter - Harry Levene

"I thought that 'Milde' put up a good fight, and fought well. He performed much better
    than anyone had expected."

"Who thought that he would still be around in Round 12, and fighting back hard. He gave
    the Champion a tough time in there."

"I would like to match 'Milde' up with the winner of the Henry Copper vs. Floyd Patterson
    bout which is being held this week {September 20th}."

"We can put that bout together for December, and the winner of that bout would earn a
    rematch with Cassius Clay for April 1967."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-19-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thursday ~ September 15, 1966

Kaiserslautern, Germany

~ Townsfolk Give Mildenberger Hero's Ride To City Hall ~

On Wednesday, 20,000 townsfolk lined the streets of Kaiserslautern to greet native Karl Mildenberger
    on his exciting effort against Champion - Cassius Clay.

'Milde', still sporting cuts under both eyes inflicted from the slashing-fists of the Champion, was brimming
    with smiles as the locales cheered for their Hero during the triumphant procession.

The open-roof car that 'Milde' was standing in while waving to the cheering crowd, proceeded to the
    Town Square, where another 5000 locales were waiting to greet 'Milde' along with Mayor - Walter Summer
    who have 'Milde' the Key-to-the-City.

A 'crescendo' of cheers erupted, as 'Milde' lifted the large Key above his head and displayed the Gold-painted
    Key to the cheering fans.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-19-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Cassius Clay vs. Karl Mildenberger 'Recap' ~

Fight Promoters ..... Joachim Gottert and Harry Levene
    Main Bout, Inc. ...... Received > $200,000 from ABC-TV for the broadcast rights

Attendance ............ 45,000 {Waldstadion Stadium, Frankfurt ... Capacity; 80,000 }
    Gate Receipts......... $500,000
    Ancillary Fee's ....... $250,000

Fight Purses
    Cassius Clay .......... $350,000+ {Some estimates put the Fight Purse at closer to $400,000 }
    Karl Mildenberger... $100,000
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday ~ September 17, 1966

Following the Championship Bout, Karl Mildenberger left long-time Manager - Bruno Mueller,
    and signed with Wolfgang Mueller {son of Bruno Mueller}.

Wolfgang Mueller >

"I want 'Milde' to take 6-to-8 weeks off, so that his cuts heal. We will 'not' fight again this
    year."

"We've already had offers to Challenge - Cassius Clay again for next year, to fight the winner
    of the Floyd-Patterson - Henry Cooper bout, and also to fight former Champion - Sonny Liston
    in Sweden set for January 1967."

"Now, everybody wants to fight us, because 'Milde' is such a huge draw, and is entertaining."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-19-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Excellent Photo Mr. Master

Mildenberger's left-eye was nearly closed, and he couldn't see a thing from the
    8th Round and on.

A testamenent to his courage, and a weakness in Clay's punching-power.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The other way to see it was Ali using his brilliant skills and power to slice up a good fighter like Karl.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The other way to see it was Ali using his brilliant skills and power to slice up a good fighter like Karl.
    While Cassius Clay was a brilliant boxer with fast-hands, he was exposed as having
    nothing more than 'average power' for a big Heavyweight.

Let's not forget, that though 'Mllde' was an aggressive fighter, he had a 'below-average'
    defense and a very questionable chin.

And 'Milde' was only 194 lbs., which did not put him in the average sized Heavyweight
    category.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    While Cassius Clay was a brilliant boxer with fast-hands, he was exposed as having
    nothing more than 'average power' for a big Heavyweight.

Let's not forget, that though 'Mllde' was an aggressive fighter, he had a 'below-average'
    defense and a very questionable chin.

And 'Milde' was only 194 lbs., which did not put him in the average sized Heavyweight
    category.
    That average power stopped Patterson, Liston, London and Cooper. If Ali had the single punch power of Joe Louis he would be the perfect fighter.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sunday ~ October 30, 1966

~ EBU Demands Mildenbeger Sign Contract To Defend Title ~

~ Mildenberger May Be Stripped Of Crown ~

There is no more rest for European Heavyweight Champion - Karl Mildenberger.

The German who fought so courageously against Cassius Clay in his challenge for
    the World Heavyweight Championship on September 10th, has been ordered by
    the European Boxing Union to sign a contract, to defend his European Championship
    by January 16, 1967 against Italy's Piero Tomasoni.

Wolfgang Mueller {Manager} >

"Karl has only had 50-Days of rest, and we're being ordered to sign a contract, or be
    be stripped of the European Champion and be suspended."

"You would think that the EBU would acknowledge Milde's great effort against the
    World Champion, and allow us 75-Days of rest, before making demands."

'We have always defended the European Championship within the proper time frame,
    and never issued a delay. This makes no sense to me."

"We were planning on fighting former 2-Time World Champion - Floyd Patterson in
    mid-December 1967, but 'Milde' was checked out by '2' Doctors who advised him
    to have a more rest, and to not start training until the end of December."

"I really wanted to take 'Milde' to Los Angeles in December, and plan for a bout with
    the American - Jerry Quarry for January 1967. But this will effect our plans."

"We really can't make any money defending the European Championship against
    the 'mandated' Challenger {Piero Tomasoni}. Not even 1/5 {20%} of what we
    could get to fight Floyd Patterson."

"It seems like the EBU doesn't want Karl to make any money."

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-20-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wednesday ~ February 1, 1967

Festhalle ~ Frankfurt, Germany

Attendance ....... { 14,000 }

European Heavyweight Championship

{5} Karl Mildenberger ~ 49-3-3 {17 KO's} ~ 6' 1 1/2" ~ 199 lbs. ~ {Age; 29 years, 2 months}
    vs.
    {19} Piero Tomasoni ~ 28-5-4 {11 KO's} ~ 5' 10" ~ 189 lbs. ~ {Age; 33 years, 8 months}
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Skinny ~

Karl Mildenberger's '1st-Bout' in 4 1/2 months, since his courageous effort against the Champion - Cassius Clay
    on September 10, 1966.

This will Milde's 4th Title Defense, since he won the European Championship on October 17, 1964.

Both Mildenberger and Piero Tomasoni fought once before, back on May 14, 1965 - where Karl edged out
    Piero by a 'narrow' 15-Round Decision.

Since that loss, the Italian Heavyweight Champion has gone 3-1-1, including a {TKO 3} over British Heavyweight
    Jack Bodell on June 28, 1966.

Both fighters southpaws. Karl fights with an aggressive-style, with fast-punching and movement. Piero comes
    straight in and low, and attacks the body with both hands.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolfgang Mueller {Manager for Karl Mildenberger}>

"We would like to go to Los Angeles and fight American - Jerry Quarry next. We have been promised a rematch
    with the Champion {Cassius Clay} if we defeat Jerry Quarry."

"But, we are not looking past Piero. He is tough, and never stops coming in. It will be a difficult fight, but 'Milde'
    is the more skillful and technical boxer."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-25-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

February 1, 1967

~ Mildenberger Wins, But Gets Boo'ed By German Fans ~

~ Mildenberger Escapes With Tight Decision Over Italian - Tomasoni ~

~ Mildenberger Retains European Championship, But Decision Not Well Received ~

~ Mildenberger Is Still Set To Pursue Cassius Clay ~

~ Mildenberger Sluggish, But Retains European Title ~

Karl Mildenberger, fighting before 14,000 fans at the Festhalle in Frankfurt, Germany rallied over the last
    4-Rounds to escape with a 'tight' 1-Point {70-69} 15-Round Decision win over tough-fighting Piero Tomasoni
    of Italy to retain his European Heavyweight Championship.

Things got off to a rocky start for Mildenberger in the 1st-Round, as after only 30-Seconds 'Milde' found himself
    on the canvas, after getting tagged by 'whistling' left-hook to the jaw.

Mildenberger {199 lbs.} was badly stunned, and was down for a '7-Count' before he rose on 'unsteady legs'.

The rough-slugging Tomasoni {189 lbs.} then came in charging after 'Milde' rose, and slammed more hard hooks
    into the German's head before the Round ended.

The visiting 33 1/2 year-old Italian, despite a 4" height advantage, stayed aggressive in both Rounds 2 and 3, as he
    worked himself inside while Mildenberger tried to get some distance by circling and flicking out 'light' right-hands.

Tomasoni was at his best in Rounds 4, 5 and 6 > as he worked Mildenberger over, by slamming in 'heavy' hooks to
    the ribs and mid-section, and short left-hooks to the face while staying in close, as he got the better of the in-fighting.

After 6-Rounds, Mildenberger had a lacerated left-eye, and a badly bruised face from the fists of the veteran Italian.

In Rounds 7 and 8, Tomasoni slowed down some, but kept charging forward looking to slam in his body punches
    while keeping Mildenberger on the defensive.

But, Mildenberger was able to get some distance between himself and Tomasoni late in each of Rounds 7 and 8, and
    scored with a series of 'pecking' right-hand jabs, to hold the Italian at bay.

After 8-Rounds, Mildenberger was trailing badly on Points.

Round 9 was fought on 'even terms', as Mildenberger was able to get some room to deliver his quick 'one-two' punches.
    But still the veteran Tomasoni was still able to get in close enough, to slam in some hard punches to the German's body.

Mildenberger started to make his 'comeback-rally' in Round 10, as the aggressive Italian slowed down. 'Milde' then started
    to score with repeated right-jabs, and fast straight left-hands from the outside.

In Round 11, Mildenberger kept up with a steady-attack, as Tomasoni was less aggressive, and fading.

In Round 12, Mildenberger switched his attack to the body, and hurt Tomasoni with a series of punches to the mid-section.
    Then 'Milde' shook the Italian with a hard 'right-left' to the head, and came back with left-hook to the liver which 'dropped'
    Tomasoni.

The Italian was down for a short-count, then took the 'Mandatory 8-Count' before continuing. Tomasoni then covered
    up well and survived Round 12.

Surprisingly, Tomasoni came back well in Round 13, and out-worked Mildenberger by landing a steady assortment of
    body punches on the inside.

The 'last' 2-Rounds, Mildenberger fought while circling and flicking out 'light punches' from the outside, while Tomasoni
    pursued, but was unable to get close enough to land an effective punch.

Sole Scoring Referee - Bill Williams {Great Britain}
    * 70-69 > {5-4-6 in Rounds} for Karl Mildenbeger

The Decision was greeted with boo's and whistles from the German crowd of 14,000.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ After Bout Comments ~

Karl Mildenberger >
    "It was a rough fight. But I turned it around, and won 5 of the last 6 Rounds. He caught me good in the 1st-Round,
    and it took me about 5-Rounds to clear my head."

"I still want to fight Jerry Quarry, and plan on challenging the Champion - Cassius Clay again in a few months."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolfgang Mueller {Manager for Karl Mildenberger} >
    "We're travelling to New York on Saturday {February 4th}, and then we will be going to Houston, Texas to watch
    the Cassius Clay vs. Ernie Terrell 'unification bout'."

"After that, we will be heading to Los Angeles to sign to face an 'unknown opponent'. Then, it's Cassius Clay again."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piero Tomasoni >
    "I thought I won, as did his hometown supporters. I want another fight with 'Mildeberger, but it should be on
    Neutral-Ground."

"The Referee {Bill Willians of Great Britain} should have never given him the Decision. I'm sure the EBU will demand
    'Milde' to give me a rematch."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-25-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Thread Information