87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Karl Mildenberger ~ 'I Had The Formula To Beat Cassius Clay'

March 3, 1967

~ Mildenberger and 'The Golden Boy' Sign To Fight ~

Karl Mildenberger and Billy Walker have signed to fight on March 21, 1967 at Empire Pool
    in Wembley, London.

The German - Karl Mildenberger will be defending his European Heavyweight Championship for
    the 5th-Time since winning the Title in October 1964.

This will be the Brit - Billy Walker's first attempt at the European Championship.

Mildenberger {Age; 29 years, 4 months}, has a record of 50-3-3 with {17 KO's}.

Billy 'Golden Boy' Walker {Age; 28 years, 0 months} has a record of 20-5-2 with {15 KO's}.
    The 'hard-punching' Brit has won '6-Straight', with all coming by way of stoppage.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-25-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tuesday ~ March 21, 1967

Empire Pool ~ Wembley, London, United Kingdom

Attendance ..... { 10,500 }

European Heavyweight Championship

{5} Karl Mildenberger ~ 50-3-3 [17 KO's} ~ 6' 1 1/2" ~ 199 lbs. ~ {Age; 29 years, 4 months}
    vs.
    {17} Billy Walker ~ 20-5-2 {15 KO's} ~ 6' 1" ~ 190 lbs. ~ {Age; 28 years, 0 months}
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Skinny ~

Karl Mildenberger, ranked at #5 Ring Magazine, needs a win if he wants another chance at Champion - Cassius Clay.

Billy 'Golden Boy' Walker, ranked at #17 Ring Magazine feels that he is ready to win the European Championship.

Billy said that after he defeats Mildenberger, he wants to fight the come-backing former World Champion - Sonny Liston
    next, and in Sweden.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-25-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tuesday ~ March 21, 1967

Attendance .... { 10,500 }

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    Tuesday ~ March 21, 1967

Attendance .... { 10,500 }

~ Mildenberger Batters 'Golden Boy' Walker, Halts Brit in 8 ~

Karl Mildenberger retained his European Championship by scoring a TKO 8 over Britain's
    Billy Walker.

The action was fast and furious from the Opening Bell, as both fighters went at it with hard
    exchanges.

Mildenberger caught Walker with a sharp 'right-left' in the 1st-Round, that stunned him and
    had him backing up. But the 'gritty' Brit came back in charging after the cob-webs cleared.

Late in the Round, Mildenberger caught Billy with a sharp right-hook that opened a cut over
    his left-eye. The cut hampered Walker throughout the bout.

But the Brit was tough, and continued to walk in firing with both fists, as the German countered
    with fast '2-Punch' combinations to both the body and head.

In Round 6, Mildenberger landed several stinging combinations, and had Walker 'groggy' after
    tagging him with a hard-flurry to the head. Referee - Den Brill issued Walker a 'Standing 8-Count'
    after one hard combination had the Brit 'wobbly'.

Mildenberger continued to pound away on his opponent during Round 7, leaving Walker battered
    and bruised, and with blood pouring from the cut over his left-eye.

In Round 8, Mildenberger had Walker in bad way early, and laid in some heavy-punches, drawing
    more blood from the Brit's cut left-eye.

Referee - Den Brill {Holland} finally called a halt to the now 'one-sided' bout at {1:43}.

The 'Associated Press' had the bout scored {6-1-0} in Rounds for Karl Mildenberger.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-26-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Pre-Fight Skinny ~

Karl Mildenberger had opened up as a {6-4} betting Favorite with the London Bookmakers.

But, a lot of late-money was 'flooding' in on Billy Walker.

If you bet on Mildenberger, it was {6-4}, but some Bookmakers had it 'Even Money'.

If you bet on Billy Walker, it was {5-4}, and some also had it 'Even Money'.

The consensus was, that Mildenberger was a notoriously slow-starter, and that Walker could
    possibly get the German out there by Round 5.

Others stated, that if the hard-hitting Brit could not get Mildenberger out of there early, the
    German would slice him up with his sharp-and-educated right-jab, and stop Walker by a TKO
    on cuts, sometime after Round 10 in the scheduled 15-Rounder.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billy Walker >
    "After I win the European Championship, I want to fight that 'old guy' Sonny Liston. He said that
    I wasn't good enough to fight him back 1963. Well, now it's a different time and place."

"I've been told, that if I beat 'Milde', the Champion - Cassius Clay would come back to England
    to fight me in defense of his World Championship. I would like that."

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

A fast-action bout from the out-set, as both fighters came out fast and 'slugged' away,
    and toe-to-toe.

Karl Mildenberger scored with best punch first, when he 'cut' Billy Walker over his left-eye
    in Round 1 with a sharp right-hook.

Despite the cut, which hampered Billy throughout the bout, the Brit hung tough and kept
    forcing the action by moving in close and firing away with his hard punches.

Mildenberger was the 'sharper puncher', but he was forced to work hard, as Walker kept
    boring in on him with heavy-pressure during the early-Rounds.

It was an entertaining and fast-action bout for 5-Rounds, with both fighters getting in
    solid blows to the head and body.

But in Round 6, Karl opened up and battered Billy with several 'one-two' combinations
    to the head and body.

Referee - Den Brill {Holland} issued Billy a standing '8-Count' in Round 6, after he was
    tagged with several jarring combinations which left him 'groggy'. At the end of Round 6,
    Billy was > battered, bruised and bleeding.

Here in Round 7, Karl attacked the area over Billy's left-eye with sharp right-hands, opening
    the cut worse, as blood was now pouring out of the wound.

In Round 8, Karl unloaded with several fast combinations, and battered Billy with punches to
    both the head and body, putting him in bad-shape and 'woozy'.

Referee - Den Brill called a halt to the 'now' one-sided bout at 1:43 of Round 8.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-26-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

March 1967

~ Ring Magazine Ratings ~

*** Cassius Clay
    #1 . Ernie Terrell
    #2 . Zora Folley
    #3 . Thad Spencer
    #4 . Floyd Patterson
    #5 . Karl Mildenberger
    #6 . Joe Frazier
    #7 . Oscar Bonavena
    #8 . George Chuvalo
    #9 . Johnny Persol
    #10. Manuel Ramos
    #11. Jerry Quarry
    #12. Eduardo Corletti

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

May 1967

~ Karl Mildenberger To Meet American - Amos 'Big Train' Lincoln ~

The #5 World-ranked Heavyweight - German Karl Mildenberger will be taking on the
    big and hard-swinging American Heavyweight - Amos Lincoln.

The 29 1/2 year-old Mildenberger is also the European Heavyweight Champion, and the
    southpaw brings in a record of 51-3-3 with {18 KO's}.

Amos 'Big Train' Lincoln is a big 6' 2" and 210 lb. power-puncher. Lincoln, is a 30 1/2
    year-old, 14-year veteran, who has been campaigning as a Professional since 1954
    when he was only Age 18.

The 'Big Train' has also been a sparring-partner for former Champion - Sonny Liston.

Lincoln, comes in with a record of 40-9-1 with {24 KO's}, but the Oakland-based fighter
    says his record is really > 63-8-1 with {41 KO's}.

Amos was ranked as high as #3 in October 1966, but upset losses to ended his Top 10 ranking.
    * October 21, 1966 ...... {L Dec 10} > Johnny Persol
    * March 16, 1967 ........ { L KO 2} > Jim 'King' Fletcher
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amos 'Big Train' Lincoln >
    "I'm a dangerous fighter right now. I have nothing to lose. Just 'one-punch', a Knockout win,
    and I'm right back in the Top 10 and looking at a World Title bout."

"All I know > is that Mildenberger is easy to hit, he's a slow-starter, and has a weak chin. Sounds
    like a recipe for a win for me."

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-27-2015 at 02:38 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saturday ~ May 6, 1967

Festhalle ~ Frankfurt, Germany

Attendance ...... { 7000 }

{5} Karl Mildenberger ~ 51-3-3 {18 KO's} ~ 6' 1 1/2" ~ 202 lbs. ~ {Age; 29 years, 6 months}
    vs.
    {23} Amos Lincoln ~ 40-9-1 {24 KO's} ~ 6' 2" ~ 209 lbs. ~ {Age; 30 years, 9 months}
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Mildenberger Wins By TKO In 6 ~

~ Mildenberger Beats Lincoln, Batters American To Win By TKO In 6 ~

Karl Mildenberger battered Amos Lincoln with numerous hard combinations in Round 6, to
    win by a TKO @ 2:55 of the Round.

This bout was not as easy as it sounds, as the southpaw German and big-hitting American
    went toe-to-toe over the first 4-Rounds, where each was 'stunned-and-staggered'.

In front of { 7000 } at the Festhalle {multi-purpose indoor arena} Mildenberger {202 lbs.}
    came out fast over the plodding Lincoln {209 lbs.}, and scored with quick right-left 'one-two'
    punches into Lincoln's head during the 1st and 2nd Rounds, rocking the visiting American
    back-on-his-heels several times.

But the 'big' American was swinging-hard, and in Round 3, Lincoln caught the German with a
    big right-hand to the head, which 'stunned' him. Lincoln then added in a few more solid blows,
    and later 'staggered' Mildenberger with a hard right-hook to the jaw, as well as opening a
    cut under his right-eye with a left-hook.

In Round 4, the bout turned into a toe-to-toe 'slug-fest', and again Lincoln caught Mildenberger
    with right-hook to the jaw, which buckled the German's legs and sent him staggering back to
    the Ropes.

At the end of Round 4, Lincoln wailed away on a stunned Mildenberger, but could not put his
    'dazed' opponent away.

But in Round 5, the 'flow-of-the-bout' changed, as Mildenberger came out with blazing-fists, and
    'mid-way' through the session the German caught the American with a 'hard' left-hand lead which
    shook him up. Mildenberger then opened up with a 'two-fisted' attack, and literally chased Lincoln
    around the Ring by landing fast 'right-left' punches into the face of the retreating American.

Round 6 >

Mildenberger came out with a 'steady' right-left attack, as Lincoln tried to fend off the blows by
    keeping his hands up high. But Karl's punches were getting through the porous defense of Amos.

Karl was now too fast for Amos, who could not get anything going offensively. Just past the {2:00 Mark},
    Mildenberger caught Amos with a 'jarring' right-left-right to the head at Center-Ring. Then Karl landed
    a 'big' left-hook to the jaw which sent Amos 'reeling' into the back-right Corner at the {2:10 Mark}.

Referee - Karl Perpeet then jumped in and issued a 'Standing 8-Count', as Amos walked over to the
    back-left Corner.

When action resumed, Karl tore into Amos and sent in both fists at blazing-speed, sending Amos reeling
    across the Ring as Karl chased the 'out-gunned' American.

Karl then caught Amos with a hard 'right-left' to his head, which stunned him at the {2:33 Mark}.
    Then Karl rained a 'dozen' unanswered punches on his head, driving Amos backwards and into the
    front-right Corner. Referee - Karl Perpeet jumped in at the {2:41 Mark}, and issued a 'Standing 8-Count'.

After completion of the '8-Count', Amos stayed in the front-right Corner, as Karl made a steady 'bee-line'
    across the Ring. Karl then wound up, and delivered an over-hand left, 'smack' into Amos' forehead.

Amos' legs buckled as he fell back into the Corner. Immediately, Referee - Karl Perpeet called a halt
    to the bout at {2:55} of Round 6.

Amos Lincoln never touched the canvas, but he was given '3' standing 8-Counds in Round 6, and was
    tagged hard again at the end of the Round.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-27-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Pre-Fight Chatter ~

Karl Mildenbeger, who was ranked #1 WBA and #2 Ring Magazine was 'risking' his ranking
    by taking on the still dangerous Amos Lincoln.

Karl, who was aiming for a 'rematch' with Cassius Clay, saw that go 'up-in-smoke' as Cassius
    was 'stripped' of his Crown on April 22, 1967 by the NYSAC and other sanctioning bodies.

On the horizon, Karl was looking at a bout with #6 Ring Magazine - Thad Spencer, which
    was penciled in for July 1967.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-28-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

May 8, 1967

~ WBA Elimination Tournament Set

European Division
    {#1} Karl Mildenberger is set to meet {#4} Thad Spencer in July.
    {#2} Floyd Patterson will face {#3} Oscar Bonavena.

American Division
    {#1} Ernie Terrell and {#4} Jimmy Ellis were penciled in to meet.
    {#2} Joe Frazier and {#3} George Chuvalo were slotted as opponents in the 1st Round.

WBA-ranked {#9} Jerry Quarry and {#10} Leotis Martin were placed in the 'reserve category'.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-28-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

July 11, 1967

~ The WBA Realigns Their Tournament Selections ~

~ WBA Ratings ~

#1 . Ernie Terrell
    #2 . Karl Mildenberger
    #3 . Oscar Bonavena
    #4 . Thad Spencer
    #5 . Floyd Patterson
    #6 . Jimmy Ellis
    #7 . Jerry Quarry
    #8 . Leotis Martin

Joe Frazier and George Chuvalo decided to fight in a NYSAC-sponsored Heavyweight
    Elimination bout, and both have been removed from the WBA Tournament.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...NJMqd3395Fd0iQ

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

[I][/~ Karl Mildenberger ~I]

I was really hoping for a rematch with Cassius Clay. I hope that he can straighten out his issues with
    the United States Government, and the Military. He should honor his commitment to his country and
    fulfill his duty in the Military.

But, I'm sure that the U.S. Government would allow him to box and defend his Title once every 6-Months
    while he is in the Military. He could get a 'type of deferment', where they would allow him 30-Days of
    leave, to train and prepare for a Championship Bout.

I'm sure that his Government can work out something. It doesn't seem all that difficult to me.

I'm still convinced that I had him in trouble in Round 9. He did finally admit that he was in a lot of
    difficulty, and he was tired {arm weary}. He said that he couldn't keep me off him, and that he was
    lucky that I had a bad-cut on my left-eye, where I couldn't see the right-hand punches coming in.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-29-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

September 16, 1967

~ WBA Elimination Tournament 'European Division' ~

Walstadion {Outdoor Cycling Stadium} ~ Frankfurt, Germany

Attendance ..... { 18,000 }

{1} Karl 'Milde' Mildenberger ~ 52-3-3 {19 KO's} ~ 6' 1 1/2" ~ 203 lbs. ~ Reach; 74" ~ {Age; 29 years, 10 months}
    vs.
    {3} Oscar 'Ringo' Bonavena ~ 30-3-0 {25 KO's} ~ 5' 10 1/2" ~ 204 lbs. ~ Reach; 73" ~ {Age; 24 years, 11 months}
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Skinny ~

ABC-TV Broadcast

Both fighters will receive $50,000 as a Fight Purse.

Karl Mildenberger is a solid { 4-1 } Betting-Favorite.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Pre-Fight Chatter ~

Karl Mildenberger >

"Bonavena is very strong. He's awkward and tough, but he does not have the skill level that I have."

"After me, Oscar is the best fighter in the tournament. But I will beat him, and then my walk to the
    Title will be easy."

"I'll take the Decision, as I expect it to go the full-distance."

Oscar Bonavena >
    "I don't think that Mildenberger really believes that he can beat me. He has 'false confidence', as I
    can see that in him."

"It will be curtains for him in Round 5. I will knock him out."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-30-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

September 16, 1967

~ Bonavena Wins Decision Over German ~

~ Husky Argentinian Bonavena Upsets Mildenberger Over 12 ~

Argentinian - Oscar Bonavena showing little finesse but a lot of strength, used an awkward but effective
    attack to win a decisive 12-Round 'upset' Decision over German - Karl Mildenberger.

Bonavena {204 lbs.} floored Mildenberger {203 lbs.} '4-Times' in the bout, by clubbing the southpaw
    German with wide hooks.

Bonavena scored Knockdowns in Rounds 1, 4 , 7 and 10 > and used a barreling attack on his opponent,
    and was clearly the stronger fighter here. The Argentinian was penalized {1-Point} in Round 5 for a
    low-blow, but that did not stop Bonavena from using his rough-tactics throughout the bout.

Mildenberger, after getting dropped in the 1st-Round, fought cautiously and tentative. In Round 2, the
    German was 'cut' under his right-eye, and he looked somewhat scared for the next 3-Rounds, as he
    did not want to engage.

The German did rally in Rounds 5 and 6, which got him back into the fight.

Mildenberger had his best moments in Round 9, when he tagged Bonavena with a hard-right, and terrific
    left-hand to the jaw that spun Bonavena's head. But the Argentinian showed his toughness, and continued
    to press with his awkward-style.

Mildenberger did put forth a good rally late, but the '4-Knockdowns' that he suffered were too much to
    overcome in Points.

The 'UPI" Scorecard in Rounds >
    * 6-3-3 > {Oscar Bonavena}

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-30-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saturday Night ~ September 16, 1967

Radrennbahn {Open-Air Cycling Stadium } Stadion ~ Frankfurt, Germany

Attendance ..... { 18,000 } Standing Room Only

Temperature ...... 58*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 WBA ~ Karl Mildenberger ...... 202 1/2 lbs.
    vs.
    #3 WBA ~ Oscar Bonavena ......... 204 lbs.

Broadcast by ABC-TV ...... 'Wide World of Sports'

Announcers ....... Howard Cosell and Angelo Dundee
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Pre-Fight Analysis ~

Angelo Dundee >

Oscar is very strong and awkward, and I believe that he will come out quickly and
    try to go for a 'fast-start' and to put Mildenberger down.

Oscar has a good left-hook, and he will look to catch Mildenberger who likes to move
    counter-clockwise {to his right}.

Mildenberger who is a southpaw, walks into a lot of punches. And, he goes down
    fairly easy. But, he gets right back up, usually fairly quickly.

Mildenberger's best punch is the right-jab, and he's got to be sharp tonight to keep
    Oscar from coming in un-abated.

It's a bout between 'strength' {Bonavena} and 'conditioning' {Mildenberger}. The best
    chance for Mildenberger, is to out-box Bonavena over the second-half of the bout. He
    just has to be careful of Oscar's strength early.

Let's not forget, that Mildenberger gave Muhammad {Ali} his toughest fight.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-31-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Karl Mildenberger vs. Oscar Bonavena ~

~ Round 1 ~

Mildenberger starts off by circling to his right {counter-clockwise} and pecked away with
    right-jabs from his southpaw-stance.

{0:12} > Howard Cosell > "Mildenberger is circling to his right, clockwise."
    > Note > Karl Mildenberger was circling 'counter-clockwise'.

Bonavena was content to lay-back, and wait until Mildenberger initiated any exchanges.

A the {1:00 Mark}, Mildenberger was doing the scoring {pecking jabs} and Bonavena
    had yet to throw a punch while both circled at Center-Ring.

At the {1:05 Mark}, Bonavena was starting to back-away, as Mildenberger tried a few left-hand
    leads to the mid-section.

At the {1:28 Mark} Angelo Dundee makes the statement that > "Bonavena is fighting all wrong.
    He's backing away, and not coming in."

Howard Cosell > "Bonavena may be suckering him in."

At the {2:10 Mark}, both fighters get into a good exchange at the left-side of Center-Ring.

{2:17} > Mildenberger attacks, and scores with a lead over-hand left to Oscar's head.

At the {2:18 Mark}, Bonavena counters Mildenberger with a hard left-hook to the jaw, and
    then a follow up 'quick' left-hook to the head.

Mildenberger goes 'down' on the seat-of-his-pants at Center-Ring.

{2:21} > Karl gets up at the '2-Count', and takes the 'Mandatory 8-Count' from American Referee - Harry Krause.

Howard Cosell > "Oscar suckered him in."

The Referee has a hard time picking up the count from the Time-Keeper at Ringside, and
    Karl gets a 'break', as the count does not end until the {2:36 Mark}. Which was a full {17-Seconds}.

When the action resumed at the {2:38 Mark}, Bonavena steadily moved in, and then drove the
    backwards moving Mildenberger into the front-left Corner, where Oscar slammed in a few hard
    punches over the next 5-Seconds.

Karl clinched, and then circled away out to Center-Ring at the {2:46 Mark}.

{2:48 Mark} Howard Cosell > "Mildenberger is hurt."
    > Note > Howard was 'over-zealous' in his remark, as usual. As Karl was not hurt.

{2:53} > Mildenberger steps in, and exchanges with Oscar at the back-right Ring area.

Bell at {3:00}.

Round 1........ {5-4} Oscar Bonavena

The knockdown was more for a 'flash-knockdown', and Mildenberger was not really hurt.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 04-06-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Thread Information