0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Karl Mildenberger ~ 'I Had The Formula To Beat Cassius Clay'

Wednesday ~ September 18, 1968

Empire Pool ~ Wembley, London, England

European Heavyweight Championship

~ Tale of the Tape ~

Karl Mildenberger ~ 53-5-3 {19 KO's} ~ 6' 1 1/2" ~ 208 lbs. ~ Reach; 74" ~ {Age; 30 years, 10 months}
    vs.
    Henry Cooper ~ 36-13-1 {25 KO's} ~ 6' 1" ~ 187 lbs. ~ Reach; 76" ~ {Age; 34 years, 5 months}
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Skinny ~

This will be a battle between '2' Ringworn Veterans, as both have seen better days.

Karl Mildenberger has owned the European Heavyweight Crown for 4-Years, since October 17, 1964
    when he defeated {KO 1} Santo Amonti to win the 'vacant' Championship.

This will be the German's '7th' Title-Defense, but his '1st' on foreign soil.

Karl and Henry were supposed to fight for the European Championship 4 years earlier {back on October 10, 1964},
    but Henry pulled out, claiming an elbow injury.

Henry Cooper is the former European Heavyweight Champion, which he won on February 24, 1964 by defeating
    {W Dec 15} Brian London. But, Henry was 'stripped' of his Crown on October 10, 1964 for failing to defend
    against Karl Mildenberger.

Henry 'is' both the British and Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion, and is out to claim his former European
    Crown as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Double Skinny ~

* Karl Mildenberger is coming off a brutal loss {L KO 7} to Leotis Martin only 5-Months earlier {April 5, 1968}.
    * Karl has dropped out of the Top 10, and is now slotted at #14 WBA.
    * Karl has visited the canvas a total of '12-times' in his last 7-Bouts.

* Henry Cooper has won '3' straight since losing by a 'brutal knockout' {L KO 4} to Floyd Patterson on September 24, 1966.
    * But, Henry last fought on November 7, 1967 {10 months ago}.
    * Henry is now rated at #10 WBA
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Outside Skinny ~

German Style
    If Karl Mildenberger wins, German Fight Promoter - Joachim Gottert is prepared to offer WBA Champion - Jimmy Ellis
    $175,000 {Tax Free} to come to Germany to defend his Title against Karl Mildenberger in November 1968.

Karl Mildenberger >
    This bout will not be that much of a problem for me. Henry is right there to be hit, and he cuts easily. All I have to
    do is watch out for his left-hook, and keep my right-hand in his face. I'll be patient for the first 5-Rounds, and then
    I'll work on his eyes.

I'll slash his eye-brows, and cut him up. He'll be wearing a bloody mask by mid-way thru the bout. There is no way
    he can go 15-Rounds without getting cut up. They will stop it before we here a Judges decision. I predict a win
    by the 11th Round.

English Style
    If Henry Cooper wins, British Fight Promoter - Harry Levene is prepared to offer WBA Champion - Jimmy Ellis
    $150,000 to come to London, England to defend his Title against Henry Cooper in early-1969.

Henry Cooper >
    Mildenberger fits my style. He will no problem for me. I won't predict a Round, just that I will win by a convincing
    margin. I'm already looking ahead. Next will be Jimmy Ellis for 1969.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 04-17-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For some reason, I always skimmed the thread title as "Kate Middleton ~"

Anyway, Ali was a WAY above all his contemporaries...
    I believe there was a formulate to beat him, but no flesh to execute it
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As my kid would ask on a trip out for the day,! ARE WE THERE YET.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
    For some reason, I always skimmed the thread title as "Kate Middleton ~"

Anyway, Ali was a WAY above all his contemporaries...
    I believe there was a formulate to beat him, but no flesh to execute it
    True,

But it was Karl Mildenberger who had the 'formula' in how to beat Cassius Clay.

Cassius was lucky to have an inferior group of Heavyweights in front of him during
    the 1964 thru 1967 campaign.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

plus it's now been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sonny Liston took a huge dive in the rematch.on top of that the way to fight was stopped with Jersey Joe Walcott waltzing around the ring like an idiot and then waving the fight off for no reason when liston was not really taking any more punishment and had his hands up in a good defensive position the whole thing was a sham from start to finish. Rocky Marciano and Jack Dempsey as well as great sports writers of the time all looked at the film over and over and over and said it was b******* Jimmy Breslin of the Daily News was right at ringside and liston fell right in front of him less than 10 feet from the tip of his nose and Breslin said very clearly and maintain this position his entire life

" the force of Muhammad Ali's right hand punch which put Sonny Liston down was not strong enough to crush a grape"

. Case f****** closed .. fact

fact

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Boxing News {September 13, 1968} ~

Henry Cooper >

"I'm already looking forward to fighting WBA Champion - Jimmy Ellis next. Mildenberger
    fits my style, as he comes in with his hands held below his chin."

"I will win by a convincing margin. I am confident, and do not expect any problems on
    Wednesday Night {September 18th} in Wembley."

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 04-17-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Empire Pool ~ Wembley, London, United Kingdom

Attendance ..... { 10,500 }

European Heavyweight Championship
    Promoter ...... Harry Levene

Fight Purses
    * Karl Mildenberger ....... $50,000
    * Henry Cooper ............. $48,000

Odds ......... 'Even'
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

~ Henry Cooper Defeats Karl Mildenbeger, Wins European Crown ~

~ 'Brit' Cooper Over 'German' Mildenberger By DQ In 8th ~

~ Cooper Regains European Heavyweight Title ~

34 year-old Englishman - Henry Cooper administered a beating on 30 year-old German - Karl Mildenberger
    to capture the European heavyweight Championship by a Disqualification in Round 8.

Italian Referee - Nello Barrovecchio called a halt to the bout at {2:58} of Round 8, after repeated head-butting
    by the 'now' former Champion - Mildenberger.

Henry Cooper {187 lbs.} was giving up 21 lbs. in weight to Karl Mildenberger's {208 lbs.}, as well as 3 1/2 years
    in age. While the German came in with more speed, size, youth and a southpaw stance, it was the Challenger
    'Old Enry' who took it to the Champion in the Opening Round with left-jabs to the face.

In Round 2, Cooper 'dropped' Mildenberger coming in, by connecting with a short left-hook to the jaw. The German
    was up immediately, but had to take the 'Mandatory 8-Count'.

In Rounds 3 and 4, the Englishman was effective with solid left-jabs and left-hooks, as Mildenberger 'paid-the-price'
    each time that he moved in close to deliver his right-jab or left-hand leads.

A frustrated Mildenberger used his gloves {thmbs} repeatedly to Cooper eyes, in an attempt to open up a cut. Italian
    Referee - Nello Barrovecchio warned the German several times for 'illegal use' of his gloves.

Mildenberger also used his head, to bang the nose of Cooper late in Round 4.

Mildenberger had his best Round in the 5th, as he was able to back up his British Challenger with 'double-and-triple'
    right-jabs to the face, followed by a rough inside attack.

In Round 6, Mildenberger was 'warned' by the Referee for use of his head {head-butting}, as he caught Cooper
    in the nose which caused damage. Both fighters scored with good jabs during an 'Even' Round.

In Round 7, Mildenberger got off to a good start, and just as he was heating up at Center-Ring, the Brit Challenger
    caught him with a 'double' left-hook and right-hand to the chin, dropping him on the seat of his pants.

The German Champion was up at the '2-Count', but again was forced to take the 'Mandatory 8-Count', before
    circling around the Ring and staying outside for the remainder of the Round.

Coming out for Round 8, Henry Cooper was up {5-1-1} in Rounds on the Referee's scorecard.

'Twice' in Round 8, Mildenberger came in 'head-first' and butted Henry over his right-eye, opening up a bad-cut
    that started 'dripping blood'.

Then, Mildenberger fired away with left-hands and rubbed his glove {thumb} over Henry's right-eye in attempt to
    gouge his eye-brow and open the cut further.

Late in Round , Mildenerger came in with another 'head-butt', and Referee - Nello Barrovecchio called the bout over
    at {2:58} and 'Disqualified' Karl Mildenberger for 'illegal' use of the head.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 'UPI' had the bout scored {5-0-2 in Rounds} for Henry Cooper.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Referee - Nello Barrovecchio >
    "I had no other choice. Mildenberger was using 'unruly headwork', and intentionally head-butted Cooper. And he
    was using his gloves to gouge Cooper's eye-brows. The Disqualification was warranted."

"I warned Karl several times for 'illegal tactics'. He knew he was on 'thin-ice' during the 8th Round."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolfgang Mueller {Manager for Karl Mildenberger} >
    "The Disqualification was not fair. Karl opened the cut over Cooper's eye with a left-hand, not his head. Yes, they
    banged heads, but the cut was opened by a punch, not a head-butt."

"We want a rematch. We can do it as soon as Henry's eye heals. What's that, probably 3-Months. We'll challenge
    him anywhere."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 04-17-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Englishman Regains European Crown From German Fighter ~

34 year-old Henry Cooper walked into the Empire Pool Ring as 'Even Money', but the ringworn
    Englishman administered a beating on German - Karl Mildenberger that few have seen.

Despite entering ring after a 10-Month lay-off, Henry stated dishing out snappy left-jabs and vicious
    left-hooks on the German from the very 'first-minute' of the bout.

For some inconceivable reason, Mildenberger moved to his right, and into the damaging left-hooks
    of Cooper, instead of circling to the left, and away from Cooper's power punches.

Cooper 'floored' Mildenberger in Round 2, by landing a solid left-hook to the jaw.

The German used 'illegal tactics' throughout, which included 'thumbing' Henry with his gloves, and
    'head-butting' his nose.

Referee - Nello Barrovecchio warned Mildenberger several times throughout the bout.

In Round 7, Cooper 'floored' Mildenberger again, after landing '2' hard left-hooks to the head, and a
    right-hand to the chin.

In Round 8, Mildenberger slammed his head into Cooper's right-eye, which opened a nasty gash which
    dripped blood immediately.

About '1-Minute' later the German came in head-first again. This time the Referee 'disqualified' Mildenberger
    at {2:58} of Round 8.

Henry Cooper >
    "There will be no rematch. What for, I'm stepping up now. I'll either fight WBA Champion - Jimmy Ellis or
    defend my '3' Belts against Billy Walker."

"I'm out for greener pastures. My time has come for a World Championship opportunity."

Karl Mildenberger >
    "I hope Henry will reconsider, and offer me a rematch. I will ask him 'not' to rule out a return match. If I can't
    get a return match, I will probably retire.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 04-17-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Karl Mildenberger

Cassius Clay told me that I gave him his toughest fight. He definitely wanted to have
    a rematch with me in 1967.

But he had those problems with his government, and that kind of stalled everything. I
    was hoping he could get a waiver or something, to allow him one more bout. But that
    fell apart after he made bad remarks about the U.S. Military.

The 'secret' to beating Clay, was to pressure him fast, and keep your hands going. He
    needed time to set up. If you waited, he would strike.

My problem, was that I just didn't punch hard enough. I had no problem hitting him,
    as his defense was not that good at all.

But, he had those long tree branch-like arms. And, he caught me coming in several
    times.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 04-18-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Caroline Munro

Hold on there Mr. Master.

Are you aware that Raquel Welch had plastic surgery, on her face and legs. And those 'puppies'
    aren't real. Those are 'silicone filled'.

And that photo, is air-brushed. She ain't that tight.

As for me, I'm 100% Pure............... And I ain't 'Horsen' around.

"Giddyup'

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Raquel Welch is pure she was around before plastic surgery. Stop making this stuff up.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Raquel Welch is pure she was around before plastic surgery. Stop making this stuff up.

Caroline Munro

"Hey Master. Everybody in Hollywood knew that Raquel was a 'plastic doll'. Those
    legs were worked on by Dr. Kildare."

"And the breasts, those look like the work of Dr. Marcus Welby."

"And the face, Oh the face. Dr. Joe Gannon of 'The Medical Center' did the make-over."

"And, drink Lamb's Navy Rum'."

"
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 04-19-2015 at 04:40 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone thought they had the magic formula...

Thread Information