Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who will you vote for?

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: General Election 2015

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: General Election 2015

UKIP actually got about as many votes as the SNP and Liberal Democrat parties COMBINED but got fewer seats. Guess UKIP people need to move to be in the same districts.....madness

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The first past the post system has always ensured that the make up of parliament is not properly representative or democratic

Green Party - 1,132,607 Votes = 1 MP
    SNP - 1,454,436 Votes = 56 MPs
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    The first past the post system has always ensured that the make up of parliament is not properly representative or democratic

Yeah that is pretty crazy.

UKIP 3,773,402 = 1 MP
    Liberal Democrats 2,322,704 = 8 MP (loss of 46 seats, ouch)

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True about FTPT but the comparison to SNP is a bit misleading. Their 1.4 million votes were spread across 59 seats rather than the Green's 1.1mil spread across 650.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

UKIP 3,773,402 = 1 MP

That is a better example of the vagaries of FPTP.
    2011/12 - 2nd

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

UKIP 3,773,402 = 1 MP

That is a better example of the vagaries of FPTP.
    You have to get strongholds.
    2011/12 - 2nd

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem with proportional representation is that it gives you very little accountability when it comes to local issues. With FPTP, if your MP votes to build a massive railway through your village, or votes to close down the hospital, you get to vote them out at the next election. Proportional representation means you can only punish parties on a regional level, and you may not have the opportunity to hold a particular individual to account at all, if they are placed high on the party's regional list.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    The problem with proportional representation is that it gives you very little accountability when it comes to local issues. With FPTP, if your MP votes to build a massive railway through your village, or votes to close down the hospital, you get to vote them out at the next election. Proportional representation means you can only punish parties on a regional level, and you may not have the opportunity to hold a particular individual to account at all, if they are placed high on the party's regional list.
    True but some types of PR do take that into account. Single Transferable Vote is the best IMO. It is much more representative but keeps the constituency links.
    2011/12 - 2nd

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn, to bad, I feel bad you guys are so upset about the results of your election. Are there any English here who prefer Cameron and aren't afraid to voice your opinion. It's good to see such passion in your posts, shows you really care about your country. We here in the US always have a positive view on the English, Irish as well despite what you may think of us. Nary have I heard any of my countrymen speak poorly about England. To be honest, we really don't say, as a people, many bad things about many countries, if we don't like you, you will heat from us in a more concrete manner. We walk softly but carry a big stick. I think we are a bit upset that Putin threatened to Nuke us if we interfere in Crimea, but forget about that, this is about our English friends.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like the current system because you get a government that can implement their policies and accountability for that every 5 years.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I like the current system because you get a government that can implement their policies and accountability for that every 5 years.
    I hear you master but I think the US and England have the same problem. The incumbent has way too much of an advantage. I wrote a letter to the editor that the best way to wake politicians up was one clean sweep of every incumbent in every house, every position. It would be equal to revolution.. Start over. Doesn't even matter who gets in for a term. It will wake the career politicians up. The founding fathers didn't intend to have senators in for twenty thirty and even fourty years. It's crazy. They aren't accountable for there actions. It's happened in a couple states, not many but it had a drastic effect. It brought a smile to my face.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will take home my ball because I lost.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton...ust#.uirk9xrW9

Truly amazing election result. The ruling party never ever increase their vote share yet this actually happened. And it was down to Lib Dem voters. Lib Dem voters were furious with their party for five years of collaboration with the Tories so abandoned them. And voted Tory. Labour actually increased their vote share but the Lib Dem voters switching en masse and UKIP taking roughly half their votes each from Labour and Tory candidates instead of all Tory give Cameron a majority.

Labour are now completely fucked. How the hell does the new leader craft a message that simultaneously appeals to Scottish voters and English voters in the south? Impossible. While Scotland remains part of the UK and is sending 50+ MPs to Westminster Labour will never be trusted by English voters. The only way Labour can ever win again is to repeat 1997 -- wait a decade or two for the Tories to fuck it up and then offer a Conservative Lite alternative.

So get used to the current style of government. It's all you're going to get for the forseeable future. And to be fair if Miliband was in Number Ten right now there'd be very little difference over the next five years.
    Last edited by Kirkland Laing; 05-12-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got a feeling Labour will go even more right wing to get the lib dem voters but I think they should back anti austerity parties.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Labour are a lame duck unless they can somehow dislodge the SNP in Scotland. If the Scots go independent, Labour will take many years to get a look in at another election, and if they stay in there Labour have to find away to counter the battering they'll get from the Tories for pandering to Scotland (my problems with that negative part of the campaign from the Tories are numerous.

Personally, as a Welshman, the only way I see any kind of chance of being governed in a manner away from the London-centric parties is the Scotland goes independent, proves to be hugely successful and then Wales follows suit. Otherwise, the Tories will continue tweaking English prejudices against Scotland to stay in charge for another two terms at the very least. Many friends were posting on facebook last Friday about Canada and Australia among potential destinations. I'm not going that route, but I can see why many would want to in order to get the best possible life for their families.

Thread Information