87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 'Bobcat' Bob Stallings ~ "I Lumped Up Earnie Shavers'

November 4, 1974

Felt Forum ~ New York, New York

Earnie Shavers ~ 47-3-0 {46 KO's} ~ 6' 0 1/2" ~ 213 lbs. ~ {Age; 29 years, 9 months}
    vs.
    Bob Stallings ~ 21-23-0 {4 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 209 lbs. ~ {Age; 30 years, 4 months}
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Bobcat' Bob Stallings

Earnie Shavers was making his comeback bid, after taking 6-Months off. Earnie had only
    1-Bout, since losing by {L KO 1} to Jerry Quarry back here in New York on December 14, 1973.

Earnie wanted to make his comeback bid here in New York, in hopes of getting an early-1975
    bout with a 'name fighter'.

Earnie was still sporting his 'hair', and was going by the moniker of 'The Dark Destroyer'.

I had seen him during his sparring-sessions here, and he was at 213 lbs., which was more
    than he was when he fought here in 1973. He also had bigger arms, so I figured that he had
    been lifting weights, which is not good for your endurance.

As for me, my record {21-23-0} made me look like a 'patsy', but I had won '5-Straight' since
    June 1973, including an 'upset' over Mac Foster on June 30, 1973.

The last guy to beat me was Ron Lyle, who just barely edged me out by a 10-Round Decision
    on May 14, 1973.

I figured that my size {5' 11" and 209 lbs.}, and my style would be a problem for Earnie..
    As I liked to get in tight-and-close, and come in real low. With that approach, I could
    smother and frustrate my opponents.

I figured that Earnie would come out like he normally does, and unload with everything in his
    arsenal in an effort to take me out early. My plan was to ride it out by staying low, and try to
    smother him on the inside, so that he couldn't get any room for leverage to throw his bombs.

I knew that I would have to take some 'hard-and-bad' punishment over the first-half of the bout,
    but that is 'the business' that I'm in.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-24-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 'Bobcat' Bob Stallings ~ "I Lumped Up Earnie Shavers'

'Bobcat' Bob Stallings

From the Opening Bell, Earnie came out winging.

From the 'first exchange' in the 1st-Round, Earnie was looking to take my head off. He staryed off
    with left-hooks to the body, and then with big looping right-hands to my head.

But I stayed low, and rolled with most of the punches. But, some of the punches did get through, hurt
    me real bad.

It was the same thing in Rounds 2 and 3, and I was getting pummeled, and driven around the Ring.

At the end of Round 3 > Referee - Tony Perez asked me > "Bob, are you able to defend yourself."

I told him > 'Yes."

Then he said to me > "One more Round like that {Round 3}, and I'll have to stop it."

When I came out for Round 4, I thought that Earnie would put me away. But though he was landing,
    I was able to fend-off his punches.

Later in the Round, he was still punching, but the punches were coming in much slower now. And
    he was starting to breathe real heavy, like a Locomotive pulling out of the rail-yard. Then at the
    end of the Round, I started to catch him with 'sucker' right-hand counter-punches to the head.

When I came back to my corner at the end of Round 4, I told my corner that Earnie was 'out-of-steam',
    and that his punches didn't hurt anymore.

In Round 5, Earnie was pawing with his punches, and I started to move side-to-side, which frustrated
    him. He was missing with all his punches now, and I was counter-punching him with looping right-hands
    smack in his face.

In Round 6, I did the same thing, and I was really confusing him. He was really frustrated that he couldn't
    catch me with anything. He missed me with everything he threw.

In Round 7, I started to take control, as I was beating Earnie to the punch. But I got a little too careless,
    and he nailed me with a big left-hook to the body, and a right-hand to the head. I was 'shaken', and
    Earnie unloaded with heavy left-hooks to the body, and right-hands to the head. I saw 'stars' as I got
    battered to the Ropes.

I was barely able to ride out the storm, but I made it to the Bell. At the end of the Round, Earnie looked
    completely exhausted, as he burned himself up.

When I came out for Round 8, I knew that Earnie was 'tired'. I moved in on him, and just slammed in
    my best right-hands on his head. I drove him to the Ropes, and just kept working. Earnie did little, other
    than cover up with his hands held high.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-24-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Bobcat' Bob Stallings

Coming out for Round 9, I knew that I needed to win the last 2-Rounds.

I moved in close on Earnie, and made him punch. But I was too cagey and kept moving,
    not allowing to him get set to unload his heavy-punches. I just kept countering him with
    short left-hooks and straight right-hands each time that he would load-up.

Then by the {2:00 Mark} he started to drop his guard as he was 'spent'. Then I started
    teeing off with 'looping' right-hands, which landed on his chin. I shook him up pretty good
    while backing him up near the back-left Ropes.

Then I caught him with '2' right-hand wallops to his jaw, and he spun into the Ropes 'dazed'.
    As I moved in, I landed another right-hand to his jaw as he was going down.

He dropped to the canvas. He was both exhausted and demoralized. He stayed down for
    a '9-Count' as Referee - Tony Perez tolled off the count.

When he got up, I moved in and walloped him agan with right-hands. He just barely survived
    Round 9.

{Below, Earnie Shavers takes a '9-Count' from referee - Tony Perez}.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-25-2015 at 05:44 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Bobcat' Bob Stallings

Bob Stallings raised his hands and celebrates after dropping Earnie Shavers in Round 9.

At the end of Round 9, I knew that the bout was mine to win. All I had to do was keep the
    pressure on Earnie in Round 10, and not make any mistakes.

In Round 10, I came out by using constant movement. I kept bobbing-and-weaving, presenting
    angles and left Earnie with 'no openings to unload his heavy punches on.

He tried to counter, but his arms were weary and his punches were slow. Then I started to 'zing'
    him with my right-hand leads, and I bounced several punches flush off of his head.

Late in the Round I had him wobbly, but I wasn't the type of fighter with a big KO punch.

I still poured it on over the last 30-Seconds, but Earnie hung in there despite being completely
    exhausted.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-25-2015 at 05:42 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Bobcat' Bob Stallings

Despite me beating and 'lumping up' Earnie Shavers, I didn't get that much recognition.

Even the sports headline newspaper reports failed to mention me. Instead they mentioned
    that Earnie lost.

'Shavers Loses Decision'

'Shavers Comeback Bid Stalled In New York'

'Shavers Nicked In New York'

I was now being labeled as a 'Super Underdog'. And a short-squat counter-puncher with
    a losing record.

I really liked the label, the 'burly' New York journeyman that enjoyed losing.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-25-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

shavers was was tired by the fourth round. His arms are heavy and his punches was slow. Maybe was from all those weights he was lifting

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    shavers was was tired by the fourth round. His arms are heavy and his punches was slow. Maybe was from all those weights he was lifting
    Correct,

Earnie went to 'weight-lifting' during 1974.

He knew that it would give him even more 'Superhuman Power', and he thought that
    it would increase his endurance.

Part 1 was correct, but Part 2 was not.

Earnie was out of steam by the end of Round 4. He needed 2-Rounds to recover, before
    making a brief-rally in Round 7.

But in Round 8, he had nothing left.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you two actually believe weight training hurts stamina?

Or have you come to the widely accepted belief that the wrong type of weight training hurts stamina?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Or have you come to the widely accepted belief that the wrong type of weight training hurts stamina?
    I think weight training must have something to do with a slight loss and stamina. I know it increases power. George Foreman and Rocky Marciano never lifted weights that I ever read. And it seems like Mike Tyson started to lose some of his stamina when he started lifting weights later on in his career.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Earnie Shavers {September 1974} >

I need to increase my endurance, as for some reason I cannot maintain my strength
    after 4 or 5 Rounds.

I run 5 to 6 Miles a day, and that hasn't helped increase my stamina. A few guys have
    suggested for me to lift weights. I will give that a try, and see if that helps me.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-27-2015 at 12:18 AM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post

Earnie Shavers {September 1974} >

I need to increase my endurance, as for some reason I cannot maintain my strength
    after 4 or 5 Rounds.

I run 5 to 6 Miles a day, and that hasn't helped increased my stamina. A few guys have
    suggested for me to lift weights. I will give that a try, and see if that helps me.
    Muhammad Ali

"I didn't have any muscles, but I knew how to grab behind the neck and push down on the neck and make faces. Referees warned me in many fights to stop talking. I almost got DQ'ed in my first fight with Frazier for talking too much."

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Bobcat' Bob Stallings

After I fought Earnie, I was pretty banged up. I mean he really dished out
    some rough punishment on me. I was so busted up, I couldn't fight for 6-Months.

The funny thing is, I won the fight and knocked him down. Then 3-Weeks later
    he's fighting again in Philadelphia.

The man was not human.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post

I think weight training must have something to do with a slight loss and stamina. I know it increases power. George Foreman and Rocky Marciano never lifted weights that I ever read. And it seems like Mike Tyson started to lose some of his stamina when he started lifting weights later on in his career.
    I could quickly shoot down any argument against weight training by pointing out every fighter runs. Running uses body "weight".

But to keep from being a dick if I can.
    You body has systems, you have to actively train each system. You can do anaerobic exercises and you will be more fit and perform better in bursts. You can do aerobic exercises and be better for duration at a slow pace.

Boxing is a combination of both properties. It is at a fast pace(anaerobic) and longer duration(aerobic). So you need to train both systems because the body recovers and proceeds at each property differently. Aerobic uses oxygen and anaerobic uses different electron acceptors while still using a respiratory electron transport chain.

It quite simply is not about lifting weights, it's about how you lift weights. If you train your body to do something and then do something completely different your body doesn't know how to excel.

Thread Information