Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lost Art of Bobbing and Weaving

It's like what you'd often say, different horses for different coarses. I'd like to think that our boxing shoes today gives us an edge over the old timers. The rubber soles means better grip, this makes things easier from the way that we stand, to how much better we can use our big toes. More power to us.

On another + note, these days we don't have to worry about getting resin in our eyes.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hey grey..

Do you think bobbing and weaving has alot to do with leg strength? Because i have weak legs and i was sparring today, i noticed everytime i slipped a punch or bobbed my way close and tried to throw a punch simultaneously with the weaving movement as you said, i had a hard time pushing off the ground for my punches. So im wondering if i need more powerful legs so right when ive slipped or rolled a punch and im in position, legs coiled up, i can spring up with more explosiveness. I can do fine on a heavy bag, but when it comes to sparring, my punches feel much weaker and i find it hard to dash in on my opponent to take advantage of openings and counter opportunities. suggestions?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know about leg strength, per se, but how about timing? I'm not of the school of thought that I think a fighter has to have huge powerful legs...look at Ray Robinson, Archie Moore...If they keep you from falling down while you do you road work they are strong enough.
    But here's the thing, and this is why you feel that loss of power. You'll do fine on the heavy bag because you can predict it's movements. With a live opponent it is much more difficult and this is why there are first rounds and feints and so on. That is how you learn to predict where he'll be and when he'll be there. I'm not trying to be wise here and I hope you see what I am saying.
    The other thing is this. It isn't how you push off, it is how you shift your weight to carry the punch. In this case I think "live" legs are better for you than "powerful" legs. You get "live" legs by exercising properly and I think too many of you try to do too much. Don't jump rope on days you spar or run because that is overusing your legs. Don't run and spar. Don't run everyday. Use your legs, each day, and strenuosly, for the number of rounds you are preparing to fight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Found a big problem with weaving and bobbing is noty the strength of my legs, but the flexability. I need to get more of a bend at the kness. working on uit.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First revolve both knees both ways clockwise then the reverse. then do a few light knee bends back and forwards with your hands on your knees for support .warm up all your joints this way .revolve hips ttoo and your ankles as you stand on one foot (close your eyes if you think your bored) .
    Stand on one leg ,shake the other out to the side and make all your joints go floppy and loose as you do the shake,then do the other side.

Sitting on your legs like kids do .tops of your feet flat to the floor under your ass; knees bent and you sit on them and watch telly or do your home work. Start out lying on the floor face down and lift your body on your arms and go right back see if you can sit on your feet ,some can eventually sit in between them as they splay out and rest besides your hips.

Stretching your legs out in the splits. Stand then spread the legs and just hang your body down in the centre and go for relaxation only ,hang there until you are looser ,think loose.
    Then sway around down there, very slowly! relax,hang out, and then roll around to the side and hold around one knee and hold that stretch down for about 30 sec no more at first. Do the same other side. repeat the process a few times.
    Then move onto sitting splits.

Sitting in the half splits fashion (only as far as is extremly comfortable no stretch feelings). legs out on 45% in front of you at first or less if you like.
    Lean down from your waist bodily and put both arms out to your knees ,ankles or around the bottom of your feet (depending on how loose you get, those are the stages) , and hold the stretch each time for around a min max less at first.
    Come up and one side at a time, lean over your own leg one at a time holding that stretch for only 30 seconds at first too.
    Its starts with both hands either side of the knee if your stiff and goes ,shin ,ankle and foot and around the bottom of the foot lastly .
    Eventually once you can reach both hands around your foot, slide them up to the toes and lightly pull your heel off the ground (careful very lightly here and feel that new area) then you pull your self lower so your laying out flat along your leg.

The easier it gets the further out in splits fashion you can start off the routine.
    Then in a few months you move your new found flexability onto the ends of your moving footwork and you will be creating angles you never dreamed of before and all with the benifits of boobing and weaving freely while on the move.
    If you follow what Grey was getting at up there.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Andre thats really Helpful...
    I gave you a CC, but changed it to a SC instead

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmmm, so in twenty days or so it will end up being two for the price of one then ,thanks!
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information