7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Needs Tyson Fury

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Some think his temperament might be a big problem and that he should be more self-deprecating, but I suspect he could care less what others think about him. All the rhetoric and loud mouthing is likely a load of blarney and he knows it better than anyone. Oh sure, he could take himself more seriously and embrace humility, but then he wouldn’t be Tyson Fury.

Maybe it’s the inherent Irish in him, but he possesses a wit. The thing is, he’s putting everybody on half the time, and it’s all a joke with him. Fury, and for that matter Deontay Wilder, is a showman. They are rarely at a loss for words or afraid to throw bold craziness out there. Heavyweight boxing hasn’t had this type in a long time. David Haye came close but he was too self-absorbed. In short, boxing needs guys like Fury and Wilder.
    The title of this thread is rather amusing, but reading your point appears well thought out. Personally I think its kind of a shame we need bragadocious loud mouths with charisma to bring fans in. But I digress: it works.

Thank you

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think boxing is in any desperate need for a Tyson Fury. I don't even think he is particularly good. Wilder I can understand. He stays in shape, displays an intelligence both inside and outside the ring, and is finally stepping up. But Fury? Not really, he is rematching Chisora and then following it up with fights against who exactly? No, I still can't take him seriously. Of the two names put forward Wilder is the more interesting, but both have a lot more to do. The tragedy of the HW division is that these two are being spoken of as Champion material when both of them have been pissing around padding their records. Fury keeps talking but at least Wilder did step up against Stiverne. That's what boxing needs. More fighting and to get in the ring. To be fair to Fury though Haye did waste 6 months of his career.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I don't think boxing is in any desperate need for a Tyson Fury. I don't even think he is particularly good. Wilder I can understand. He stays in shape, displays an intelligence both inside and outside the ring, and is finally stepping up. But Fury? Not really, he is rematching Chisora and then following it up with fights against who exactly? No, I still can't take him seriously. Of the two names put forward Wilder is the more interesting, but both have a lot more to do. The tragedy of the HW division is that these two are being spoken of as Champion material when both of them have been pissing around padding their records. Fury keeps talking but at least Wilder did step up against Stiverne. That's what boxing needs. More fighting and to get in the ring. To be fair to Fury though Haye did waste 6 months of his career.
    Exactly what part of Wilder's exposure has led you to believe he is in any way intelligent?

Was it his "Bomb Squad" antics?

The guy proved he could keep a shorter opponent at bay with his jab. That's good.

But let's not credit the Stiverne win as masterful boxing, Stiverne barely did anything!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

either Stiverne just took the money and ran because he knew he could not overcome the size and reach differential or was paid off or basically went along with some kind of game plan to get out of boxing in an honorable manner. However it was a dishonorable way in which he just stood there squared up taking shots from Wilder right on the chin

Thread Information