Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nicolino Locche vs. Alfonso Frazer ~ "WBA Champion Upset In Panama"

Friday ~ March 10, 1972

Gymnasium Nuevo {New City Gym} ~ Panama City, Panama

Attendance ............ { 15,300 }
    Gate Receipts ....... { $122,000 }

WBA Light-Welterweight Championship

{*} Nicolino Locche ~ 106-2-14 {14 KO's} ~ 5' 6" ~ 67" Reach ~ 140 lbs. ~ {Age; 32 years, 1 month}
    vs.
    {#4} Alfonso Frazer ~ 26-4-1 {20 KO's} ~ 5' 8" ~ 70" Reach ~ 137 1/4 lbs. ~ {Age; 24 years, 2 months}
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Skinny ~

This bout generated the largest gate Receipts { $122,000 } of any bout held in Central America up to this time.

The bout was covered by numerous Latin Television Networks, as this bout was in high demand.

Nicolino Locche received a Fight Purse of { $75,000 } plus a cut {25%} of all Television Receipts {ancillary fee's}
    which some reported was nearly an additional { $50,000 }.

The Challenger {from Panama} Alfonso Frazer received a paltry Fight Purse of { $7500 }.

~ The Double Skinny ~

The Champion - Nicolino Locche was making the '6th' Title Defense of his WBA Light-Welterweight Championship
    that he won 3 1/2 years earlier on {December 12, 1968}.

This was Nicolino's '1st' Title Defense on foreign soil, as his other '5' Title Defenses were held in the comfortable
    home surroundings of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Alfonso 'Peppermint' Frazer was ranked as the #4 WBA Light-Welterweight.

The 'word here', is that the Alfonso Frazer Camp paid the #1 WBA-ranked Challenger {Joao Henrique of Brazil}
    { $7500 } in step aside money.

Joao Henrique had fought and lost a close 15-Round Decision to Nicolino Locche 2 1/2 years earlier on {October 11, 1969}.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Triple Skinny ~

Nicolono had last lost a bout {L Dec 12} 7+ years earlier {November 14, 1964} when he lost to Argentinian countryman
    Abel Ricardo Laudonio.

Since that loss, Nicolino has gone an incredible {54-0-3} during that span {7 years, 4 months}.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-13-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nicolino Locche vs. Alfonso Frazer ~ "WBA Champion Upset In Panama"

December 11, 1971

~ WBA Ratings ~

*** Nicolino Locche
    #1 . Bruno Arcari {WBC Champion}
    #2 . Joao Henrique
    #3 . Antonio Cervantes
    #4 . Alfonso Frazer
    #5 . Bunny Grant
    #6 . Domingo Barrera
    #7 . Chang Ki-Lee
    #8 . Chris Fernandez
    #9 . Angel Robinson Garcia
    #10. Johnny Gant

According to Manager - Carlos 'Tito' Lecture >

This was to be Nicolino's last defense before challenging WBC Light-Welterweight Champion - Bruno Arcari
    in a World Unification Bout, with a proposed date for June 1972.

And, the guarantee fight purse of { $75,000 } plus the Broadcast ancillary rights of { $50,000 } was worth the risk
    to got to Panama to defend the Title, as Alfonso Frazer {though very good} was not considered to be in the 'class'
    of the WBA Champion.

Also, Nicolino was coming off a 'super impressive' and one-sided win {W Dec 15} over Antonio Cervantes only
    3-Months earlier on {December 11, 1971}.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Panama Skinny ~

Alfonso 'Peppermint' Frazer was a 5' 8" lanky boxer, with fast-hands and good power. Alfonso was also a very good
    boxer/puncher who had an aggressive and busy style.

Alfonso was a 7-Year Professional who stated out at {Age; 17} in 1965 as a 'skinny' Featherweight. Alfonso grew
    into a 135 lb. Lightweight, and won the Panamanian Lightweight Title on November 30, 1968.

Alfonso was coming into the Ring unbeaten in his last '12-Bouts', by going 11-0-1 with {8 KO's} since September 1969,
    and with bouts against >
    * TKO 8 ................ Jose Isaac Marin
    * W Maj. Dec 10 .... Eddie Linder
    * W Dec 10 ........... Jaguar Kakizawa
    * Draw 8 ............... Eddie Blay
    * KO 8 .................. Eugenio Espinal
    * KO 2 .................. Antonio Herrera

And since July 1967 > Alfonso has only lost once, by going 15-1-1, with his only loss {L TKO 3} to Chango Carmona
    on July 26, 1969.

Alfonso's last bout was {4 1/2 months ago} on October 30, 1971 with a win {W TKO 8} over Jose Isaac Marin.

'Ring Magazine' > At the end of 1971, Alfonso was ranked as the #7 Lightweight, behind compatriot Roberto Duran
    who was ranked at #6.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Friday ~ March 10, 1972

Gimnasio Nuevo {New City Gym} ~ Panama City, Panama

Niccolino Locche vs. Alfonso Frazer
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Bout ~

The Challenger - Alfonos 'Peppermint' Frazier fighting in front of over 15,000 Panamanian supporters
    was aggressive early, and was attacking to establish an ealy lead over the defensive-wizard in
    Champion - Nicolino Locche.

Alfonso {137 1/4 lbs.} used fast left-jabs over the first 2-Rounds, as the Champion {140 lbs.} was
    content to 'bait-and counter'.

In Round 3, Alfonso scored with a heavy-attack, and stayed on the offensive as he was over-whelming
    the Champion with a 'fast' two-fisted barrage.

The Champion got it going in Round 4, as he landed several solid-blows on the Challenger's head, and
    buckled Alfonso's knee's with a vicious right-cross to the jaw. But the Champion's lack-of-power prevented
    him from finishing the job on a hurt Challenger.

But in Round 5, the Challenger was 'keen-to-the-task', and rallied strongly with a heavy-fisted attack that
    had the Champion covering up and bending low.

The fighters maintained 'even exchanges' in Round 6, but the Challenger was growing in confidence.

In Round 7, the Champion started off well, and landed several solid-blows on the Challenger. But Frazer took
    the punches well, and rallied back at the end of the session by landing a slashing right-hand to the Nicolino's
    left-eye, that opened up a bad-cut on the eye-brow. Then the Challenger targeted the 'cut' with a series of
    left-jabs that had the Champion bleeding by the Round's end.

In Round 8 the Challenger kept up with his heavy-attack and rained punches on the Champion who was using
    his 'bob-and-weave' defense. But Frazer got through, and opened up another cut, this time a 'gash' near the
    Champion's right-eye.

In Rounds 9 thru 14 {6 Rounds}, the pattern was the same, with the Challenger using excellent movement,
    by circling to his left, while firing in sharp left-jabs, mixed in with fast combination punches.

Alfonso stayed on the offensive, and also mixed it up by using good side-to-side movement, as well as darting
    in on the slower Champion. And, Alfonso's hand-speed was much faster than Nicolino's, as each time they
    traded the Challenger got the better of the exchanges.

Nicolino spent much of his time 'bobbing-and-weaving' or resting in on the Challenger's chest, while throwing
    very few punches. Overall, Nicolino's offense was 'minimally effective' at best.

There were even times, when a 'frustrated' Champion would just drop his hands by his side, and let the Alfonso
    hit him at will. Nicolino was never hurt, a testament to his 'steel bar' reinforced rock chin.

Coming out for Round 15 >

Nicolino was behind on Points {3, 6 and 2} on the Scorecards, and he knew that he needed a Knockout to retain
    his Championship Belt.

The Challenger - Alfonso Frazer was 'arm-weary', but the young Panamanian still had some reserve left in the tank,
    as he bounced up-and-down on his toes in his Corner.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Round 15 ~

0:00 > Both fighters meet at Center-Ring {Nicolino is on the left, and Alfonso is on the right}.
    0:03 > Nicolino starts off by firing out '2' left-jabs.
    0:06 > Alfonso circles 360* and stays outside
    0:18 > Alfonso sends in a left-jab.

0:19 > Nicolino is 'loading up' for one punch.
    0:21 > Nicolino lands with a shiort right-hand.
    0:25 > Nicolino is 'stalking' as Alfonso stays outside to protect his Points lead.
    0:27 > Alfonso circles again 360*, and flicks out '3' long-range left-jabs.

0:29 > Nicolino has his hands held low at Center-Ring, while trying to bait Alfonso in close.
    0:31 > Alfosno moves in and fires off a fast 'left-right-right'.
    0:32 > Alfonso backs out quickly, and darts in-and-out.
    0:34 > Alfonso moves back to the front-center Ropes.

0:36 > Nicolino moves in.
    0:37 > Alfonso circles out 180* to Center-Ring.
    0:39 > The fighters clinch.
    0:42 > Alfonso lands with a fast 'right-left', and moves out.

0:43 > Alfonso circles to his right.
    0:44 > Nicolino goes back to 'stalking'.
    0:49 > Both move in, and trade with 'left-right' punches to the head.
    0:53 > Nicolino backs up to the left-side Ring area.

0:56 > Nicolino backs up into the left-side Ropes, but he is not punching.
    1:04 > The action moves out to Center-Ring, where both clinch.
    1:07 > Neither fighter is punching, and they both rest on the inside.
    1:12 > Nicolino stays in close, and lands with a 'left-right'.

1:17 > Alfonso moves in close, and smothers Nicolino.
    1:25 > The Referee calls 'Break'.
    1:29 > Neither fighter is punching while in close and at Center-Ring.
    1:32 > Nicolino does not look desperate to punch away.

1:37 > Alfonso pushes Nicolino backwards and into the right-side Ropes.
    1:43 > Alfonso leans in on Nicolino's chest, and stays busy by throwing very-light punches to the body.
    1:48 > Nicolino is resting the Ropes, and is letting Alfonso hit him.
    1:50 > Alfonso is tossing in 'light punches'.

1:52 > Alfonso backs out fast to Center-Ring.
    1:54 > Nicolino walks out stalking, with his hands down by his side.
    1:58 > Alfonso fires out with a fast 'left-right-left-right'.
    2:00 > Nicolino is 'not fazed' by the punches.

2:02 > Alfonso backs up to the left-side Ring area.
    2:04 > Nicolino walks in with his hands down.
    2:05 > Nicolino is still 'not' punching.
    2:06 > The fighters move in close.

2:07 > Nicolino fires in with a hard left-hook to the ribs.
    2:08 > Alfonso counters with a quick 'right-left'
    2:12 > Both fighters get off and exchange with a fast-flurry.
    2:17 > The fighters move in close, but do not exchange.

2:21 > Still there is no punching.
    2:24 > Nicolino scores with a good right-hand to the chin.
    2:27 > Alfonso counters with 'light' pepper-punches.
    2:29 > The fighters move to Center-Ring.

2:34 > Nicolino leads off with a 'left-right' to the Challenger's face.
    2:35 > Alfonso counters with a fast 'left-right-left' to the Champion's face.
    2:36 > The flurry drives Nicolino backwards into the left-side Ropes.
    2:40 > Alfonso moves in close, and the fighters 'clinch'.

2:44 > While on the Ropes, both fighters pepper each other with light counters.
    2:48 > Alfonso is punching, but he has 'nothing' on his punches.
    2:50 > Nicolino moves to his right, and backs into the front-left Ropes {near his own Corner}.
    2:52 > Alfonso rushes in to pin the Champion there.

2:54 > Alfonso throws a 'left-right' to the body.
    2:57 > Nicolino is doing nothing.
    3:00 > 'Bell'

After the 'Bell', Alfonso Frazer lifts both hands in the air, as Nicolino put his gloves out to congratulate him.

Alfonso walks over to Nicolino's corner and gets a good sportsmanship welcome.

Alfonso Frazer's handlers rush into the Ring, and grab their fighter under his arms, and walk the exhausted
    Challenger back to their Corner to wait for the Official Decision.

Scorecards
    * Referee - Jesus Celis ........... 147-143 ~ {7-3-5 in Rounds}
    * Judge - Juan Carlos Tapia .... 148-141 ~ {9-2-4 in Rounds}
    * Judge - Luis Allede .............. 149-146 ~ {4-1-10 in Rounds}

* Associated Press ................. 149-140 ~ {10-1-4 in Rounds}
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Alfonso Frazer Unseats Champion - Locche ~

~ 'Shocking Upset' - Panamanian Upsets The Great Nicolino Locche ~

~ Panamanian Frazer Uses Speed And Quickness To Defeat 'El Intocable' Over 15 ~

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alfonso Frazer >

I followed my corner's instructions, and used fast-punches from the outside. I tried to stay away
    from getting in close, because Nicolino is so good there.

Right from the out-set, I knew that he couldn't match my speed. I have faster hands than him,
    and my footwork was excellent, as that is what we worked on for 2-Months in preparing for this
    fight.

I'd like to defend my Title here in Panama, then I'll see about going to Argentina to give Nicolino
    a rematch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray Arcel {Trainer for Alfonso Frazer} >

I watched Nicolino Locche in his sparring-sessions in Panama City. His style is to come out to
    Center-Ring, then back up to the ropes where he can bait you in. When you move in, he's so
    strong and tricky, that he can hit you with short punches, and then spin you around before you
    know what's happening.

I told Alfonso to just stand there and look at Nicolino when he backs up, and don't follow him in.
    Frustrate him by staying outside. By the end of 7th Round, Nicolino was 'flustered' and had to start
    chasing Alfonso. Then my guy just boxed his ears off for the next 6-Rounds and built up a big lead
    heading down the stretch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicolino Locche >

I have no excuses. The Panamanian was the better fighter. He stayed outside, and kept away
    from me.

He does have quick feet, and it was difficult to try and catch him. I really didn't have my best
    equipment in Panama, as I was out-of-rhythm and couldn't get my punches off.

I'll get my Title back, when we have a rematch in Argentina.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 01:40 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

March 1972

Alfonso 'Peppermint' Frazer

~ WBA Fighter of the Month ~
    ~ Ring Magazine Fighter of the Month ~

WBA Ratings

*** Alfonso Frazer
    #1 . Antonio Cervantes
    #2 . Joao Henrique
    #3 . Nicolino Locche
    #4 . Jimmy Robertson
    #5 . Eddie Perkins
    #6 . Frank 'Paco' Flores
    #7 . Carlos Giminez
    #8 . Rodolfo Gonzales
    #9 . Jeff White
    #10. Roger Zami
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 02:57 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

March 18, 1972

~ Nicolino Claims He Wasn't Prepared In Panama ~

Nicolino Locche 'El Intocable' says that he wasn't properly prepared for his bout
    with Alfonso Frazer on March 10, 1972 in Panama.

The defensive-wizard lost his WBA Light-Welterweight Championship after holding
    it for 3+ years, and after making '5' Title Defenses.

Nicolino Locche >

"I have no excuses, but I did not have good preparation before the bout. I travelled
    to Panama City on February 28th."

"I only had 10-Days to prepare in Panama City, and I was rushing to get in Rounds
    with my sparring-partners."

"When I walked into the Ring on March 10th {Friday Night}, I was less than I should
    have been. My timing was off, and my speed was poor."

"I only ask for a rematch, and would hope to have that bout here in Buenos Aires as I
    travelled to Panama to defend against Frazer. The 'new' Champion should afford me the
    same courtesy."

"I beat 'Kid Pambele' {Antonio Cervantes} only 3-Months ago, and he is a much better
    fighter than Alfonso Frazer. So I know that I can still win. You will see the old 'Nico'
    in the rematch."

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Macrh 27, 1972

~ Nicolino Will Have To Wait For Rematch ~

Nicolino was hoping to get a rematch with conqueror Alfonso Zamora immediately,
    and hopefully for a setting at Luna Park in Buenos Aires.

But, Argentinian Fight Promoter - Juan Carlos Lectoure stated that there was 'no'
    rematch clause signed by either fighter in their March 10th bout.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juan Carlos Lectoure {Argentinian Fight Promoter} >

"There will be no rematch here in Buenos Ares, no matter what 'Nico' says. I have
    talked to Carlos Eleta {Alfonso Frazer's advisor}, and he says that the new Champion
    will take 3-Months off."

"They then have plans to have 1 or 2 {10-Round} 'non-title' bouts, and will defend
    the WBA Title in September or October."

"Nicolino will just have to stay in Mendoza and spend some of his 'bag' {money} and
    wait. Maybe he should get prepared by having a 'tune-up' bout or two in Mendoza."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicolino Locche >

"I will ready for a rematch, as long as I have 2-Months to prepare. I am not interested
    in having any tune-up bouts. If they don't want to bring the Panamanian {Alfonso Frazer}
    here to Buenos Aires, I will fight him on a 'Neutral Site' in Central America."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

June 17, 1972

Gimnasio Nuevo {New City Gym} ~ Panama City, Panama

WBA Light-Welterweight Champion - Alfonso Frazer scored a {TKO 5} over Al Ford
    in a 'non-title' bout.

Alfonso Frazer {Age; 24 years, 5 months} was expected to have a somewhat difficult time
    with the 'talented' 21 1/2 year-old Canadian Lightweight Champion.

Al Ford came into the Ring with an impressive record of 41-2-0 with {18 KO's}, and he had
    just gone '10' competitive Rounds with WBA Lightweight Champion - Ken Buchanan in a
    'non-title' go in London, United Kingdom 3-Months earlier {March 28, 1972} in losing a
    Decision.

Ford, at 5' 5" stayed low during the first 2-Rounds, and held his own with the fast-punching
    and taller {5' 8"} Panamanian. But Ford's success was a short period.

As Frazer, battered the Canadian Lightweight badly in Rounds 3 and 4, and had the Canadian
    in a bad way at the end of Round 4.

Al Ford did not come out for Round 5.

Alfonso Frazer improved his record to 28-4-1 with {21 KO's}.

July 1972 {WBA Ratings}

*** Alfonso Frazer
    #1 . Antonio Cervantes
    #2 . Rodolofo Gonzalez
    #3 . Victor Ortiz
    #4 . Eddie Perkins
    #5 . Nicolino Locche
    #6 . Joao Henrique
    #7 . Piero Ceru
    #8 . Carlos Giminez
    #9 . Roger Zami
    #10. Carlos Ortiz

According to Caros Eleta {Manager for Alfonso Frazer}, the WBA Champion will face
    Puerto Rican - Esteban De Jesus on July 28th at Madison Square Garden.

There are discussions as to whether the bout will be for the WBA Championship, or if
    it will be a 10-Round 'non-title' bout.

Former WBA Champion - Nicolino Locche has 'terminated' his contract with long-time
    Trainer - Juan Carlos Cuello and has now reunited with Trainer - Miguel Cavillon.

Nicolino has stated that he will now focus on improving his power, and expects a rematch
    with his conqueror {Alfonso Frazer} on Saturday, September 2nd.

Nicolino is asking the WBA, for the Championship Bout to be held at a 'Neutral Site', and
    it appears that the Gimnasio Nacionale Indoor Stadium in San Salvador, El Salvador is the
    logical choice.

The indoor arena has a capacity of 12,500 > and the 'fight contracts' will call for the
    Champion {Alfonso Frazer} to receive a fight purse of { $65,000 }, and the Challenger
    {Nicolino Locche} will receive { $25,000 }.

Both fighters will receive a portion of the broadcast receipts {ancillary fee's}.

The former Champion opened up his Training Camp on July 3rd in his hometown of
    Mendoza.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

July 1972

~ The Defensive Myth Of The Gaucho ~

Venezualan Boxing Journalist > 'El Panama American' > Delio Amado Leon

The great defensive-wizardy of 'El Intocable' can no longer be the Argentinian's
    only way to win.

The lack of punching power and age has caught up to Nicolino Locche. He is now
    too slow to deliver his once quick counters. Nicolono was 'lackadasical' in his bout
    the young fast-handed Panamanian - Alfonso Frazer 3-Months ago in Panama.

In that March 10th bout, the 32 year-old Nicolino lost precious time in the early going,
    as he let the Challenger take control of the bout and capture most of the first-half Rounds.
    And Locche was unable to decipher the Panamanian's awkward style, and many times
    was on the receiving end of a fast 'left-right' to the face.

In the most important middle-Rounds {8th thru 11th}, Frazer targeted Nicolino's
    arms, and sapped all the strength out of Locche's muscles. The muscular Champion
    who has natural brute-strength was not able to take advantage of his vast experience
    against the fleet-footed Frazer.

With the bout on his side, the Panamanian still had respect for the aging Champion
    over the last 4-Rounds, and always kept his distance.

Respected Boxing Trainer - Carlos Cruz stated that Nicolino has 'too much age', and is
    now too slow to compete with the younger, sleeker and faster Challengers in the
    Light-Welterweight Division.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

July 10, 1972

~ Alfonso Frazer and Nicolino Locche Agree To A September 2nd Date For Rematch ~

The 'new' WBA Champion - Alfonso Frazer and former Champion - Nicolino Locche have agreed to a rematch,
    to be held in Panama City, Panama on Saturday, September 2nd at the Gimnasio Nuevo.

This will be the 24 1/2 year-old Champion's '1st' Title Defense. The Panamanian defeated Nicolino Locche on
    March 10th to capture the WBA Light-Welterweight Championship in an 'upset' 15-Round Decision in
    Panama.

The 32 1/2 year-old former Champion from Argentina was reluctant to go back to the Gimnasio Nuevo for a
    rematch, but the 'new' Champion insisted on defending his Championship in his home-country for his 1st-Defense.

The Champion - Alfonso Frazer will receive a fight purse guarantee of { $70,000 }, and the former Champion
    Nicolino Locche who is now the Challenger will receive { $25,000 } plus additional ancillary fee's from the
    Broadcast revenue's thru the Latin Networks.

Alfonso Frazer was supposed to face 'highly-touted' Puerto Rican Lightweight - Esteban De Jesus on
    July 28th at Madison Square Garden in New York, but the Panamanian will now agree to wait to
    defend his newly won Crown on September 2nd, and in his home-country of Panama.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-14-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

August 21, 1972

~ Nicolino Locche Hurts Spear {Finger}, Forced To Pull Out Of WBA Championship Bout ~

Former WBA Light-Welterweight Champion cracked a spear {finger} in his right-hand, and will be
    forced to pull out of his September 2nd bout with Champion - Alfonso Frazer in Panama.

The 32 1/2 year-old Argentinian stated he would require 3-Weeks for the 'spear' {finger} to heal,
    which he hurt in a sparring-session in Mendoza, Argentina.

As a replacement, Argentinian Lightweight Champion - Carlos Alberto 'Gonzalito' Aro will fill in for
    the right-hand injured Locche.

Aro, is a stable-mate of Nicolino Locche, and is also from Mendoza Argentina. Carlos Alberto Aro
    {Age; 32 years, 11 months} is the Argentinian Lightweight Champion, and has a record of 63-9-10
    with {21 KO's}.

The Argentinian is a crafty 5' 7 1/2" tall southpaw, and has been competing since March 1961
    {11+ years}. Ano was the Argentinian Lightweight Champion from {July 1, 1967 thru
    November 22, 1969} and recently reclaimed the Title on June 10th of this year.

Ano also held the South American Lightweight Championship from {August 17, 1969 thru November 19, 1971}.

The Argentinian asked for the bout to be for the WBA Title, but the Championship Committee stated
    that it would be a 'non-title' bout only.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlos Alberto 'Gonzalito' Aro >

"I am not convinced that Alfonso Frazer is all that he is made out to be. He caught 'Nico' on a bad night,
    and that is why he won."

"I'll put much pressure on this 'weed-thin' Panamanian, and see if he can fight backing up."

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-15-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

September 2, 1972

~ Alfonso 'Peppermint' Frazer Halts Argentinian In One ~

WBA Light-Welterweight Champion - Alfonso Frazer toppled Argentinian Lightweight
    Champion -Carlos Alberto 'Gonzalito' Aro in only 59-Seconds of the 1st-Round.

The 24 1/2 year-old Pananamian circled the Ring at the opening Bell, and baited the
    smaller southpaw Argentinian into coming forward.

Frazer, 'weed-thin' at {5' 8"} and with long-arms, speared the 32 1/2 year-old lefty
    Argentinian with several long left-jabs, then came over the top with '2' hard looping
    right-hands to the jaw.

Aro was quickly staggered, and reeled backwards into the Ropes. The fast-handed
    Frazer moved in quickly and unloaded with barrage of fierce punches to the head
    that toppled Aro onto the canvas in only 49-Seconds.

The Referee tolled off the '10-Count', as the visiting Argentinian could not beat the count.

The WBA Light-Welterweight Title was not at stake. Alfonso Frazer {140 lbs.} improves to
    29-4-1 after scoring his 22nd Knockout.

Carlos Alberto Aro {136 3/4 lbs.} drops to 63-10-10, as this was only the '3rd-Time' in his
    11+ year career that he has been stopped.

The Argentinian filled-in for his countryman and stable-mate former WBA Champion
    Nicolino Locche who was scheduled to face Alfonso Frazer for the WBA Light-Welterweight
    Championship.

Nicolino Locche is nursing a cracked bone in his spear {finger} in his right-hand.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlos Alberto Aro >
    "I never saw the punch. He is very fast, and has long arms. I stepped forward and was
    ready to throw a straight 'one-two', and he delivered a looping right-hand to my jaw that
    I never saw coming. Then he did it again, and I was dazed."

"I came here to seek revenge for my stable-mate and countryman Nicolino Locche. But
    I was not up to the task, as he {Alfonso Frazer} is very good. He is very fast, and hits
    very hard.'
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-15-2015 at 02:43 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Monday ~ September 4, 1972

~ Alfonso Frazer - Nicolino Locche WBA Championship Bout Switched To San Salvador ~

The WBA Light-Welterweight Championship Bout between Champion Alfonso Frazer of
    Panama and former Champion - Nicolino Locche has been switched to Saturday, September 16th
    and in San Salvador, El Salvador.

The bout will be held at the Gimnasio Nacional indoor arena.

The bout was originally scheduled for last Saturday Night {September 2nd} and in Panama City
    at the Gimnasio Nuevo.

But Nicolino Locche had injured one of his fingers on his right-hand on August 21st, and had asked
    for a 2-Week delay, so that his injured finger could heal.

The San Salvador location was agreed upon today by both Camps.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alfonso Frazer fought on Saturday, where he scored a 59-Second Knockout in the 1st-Round
    over Argentinian - Carlos Alberto Aro.

The Argentinian - Aro was a stable-mate of Nicolino Locche's and was a 2-Week fill-in replacement
    opponent for Alfonso Frazer.

Nicolino Locche, who is in Mendoza, Argentina said he would travel to San Salvador on Monday
    September 11th, if his injured finger has healed.

Alfonso Frazer, stated that he was ready and in excellent shape. The WBA Champion said that he
    would do light workouts for the next 5-Days in Panama, and then travel to San Salvador on
    Saturday, September 9th.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alfonso 'Peppermint' Frazer >

"I gave Nicolino a 2-Week postponement. He better be ready for September 16th, or I will defend
    my Title against the next Top Challenger. No more delays. Either he wants to challenge me, or
    not."

"If Nicolino thinks that I will fight him in Buenos Aires, he's crazy. As I will not got a fair shake
    {Judges scoring} there. I'll fight him on a 'Neutral Site', but never in Buenos Aires."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-15-2015 at 06:43 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sunday ~ September 10, 1972

~ Nicolino Locche Pulls Out Again ~

Forner WBA Light-Welterweight Champion - Nicolino Locche of Argentina has pulled out
    of his rematch with Alfonso Frazer of Panama for the WBA Light-Welterweight Championship.

The bout was scheduled for this Saturday {September 16th}, with the bout to be held at the
    Gimnasio Nacional in San Salvador, El Salvador.

This is the 2nd time that the Argentinian has cancelled out of a Championship bout rematch
    with Alfonso Frazer.

Locche is still nursing a damaged spear {finger} on his right-hand. A spokesman for the
    33 year-old Locche stated that the former WBA Champion would require another 3-Weeks
    rest for the 'cracked bone' to heal.

In the interim, Argentinian Lightweight - Juan Domino 'Quito' Corradi will fill-in as a replacement
    opponent for the Saturday - September 16th bout.

The 24 1/2 year-old Corradi has an impressive record of 54-2-6 with {34 KO's}, and is currently
    ranked as the #9 WBA Lightweight. Corradi is also a stable-mate of Nicolino Locche. The
    Argentinian is a { 5' 6 1/2" } boxer/puncher with good technical skills and quick hands.

The Corradi Camp is asking for the WBA to sanction this bout as a Championship Bout.

The Alfonso Frazer Camp has stated they will accept Juan Domingo Corradi as a replacement
    challenger.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alfonso 'Peppermint' Frazer >

"It doesn't matter which Argentinian they send up here to fight me. I'll send each of them back
    home, either beaten up {ie; Nicolino Locche} or knocked out {ie; Carlos Alberto Aro}.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juan Domingo 'Quito' Corradi >

"Alfonso Frazer was lucky to beat 'Nico' last March. 'Nico' was not in good shape. Frazer had
    a lucky night that's all."

"If the WBA sanctions this bout, I will bring the 'belt' back home and give it to 'Nico' in Mendoza.
    If they make this bout a 'non-title fight', I'll wear down Frazer and soften him up for my countryman."

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-15-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Thread Information