Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Manny should just go after the early KO

Anyone else agree that Manny should just go looking for the KO early?

I think it's the way to win this fight and its a win win situation because if he doesn't manage to land a clean KO punch then he's already forced Floyd into a fight.

Attack attack attack is what I want to see Manny do and I think he will do 😉

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Manny should just go after the early KO

this is exactly what I want to see from the opening bell. Go looking for him and force him into a fight - because that's the last thing he wants

Has to be Manny's strategy. Has to be

"....but the man kept coming after you !!!!"
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If the opportunity comes then he should take it, but he has to be careful himself. Floyd is no puncher, but if Manny gets reckless he will be eating punches and Floyd has the historically stronger chin. I think Manny needs to pressure, but not be careless with it. He can throw more than Floyd and must do so, but winning the rounds on activity should be the focus and if Floyd is hurt, then sure he should pounce. Manny hasn't been stopping anyone lately and Floyd is a defensive kingpin and cool customer. If he can land something like Mosley did, then Mayweather is going to have a much harder time this time out as Manny won't gas after a flurry and is quicker with his hands and feet too. But at the end of the day, you have to assume that the fight will go 12 based on previous fights. Would be a joy if it doesn't though!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah but that's assuming that Floyd can't fight and Floyd can't hurt Manny. He can do both.

It's easy to say "yeah go throw a ton of punches at Mayweather", but that's a lot harder to actually put in to practice when you're fighting a guy who's nearly impossible to hit clean and is constantly spring loaded to fire a hard counter with laser precision. People say "well Floyd isn't a puncher"... neither was JMM at WW, but if you walk into a good punch, it doesn't have to be thrown by Julian Jackson or Thomas Hearns to put you to sleep.

So no, I think going for an early KO would be one of the dumbest things he could do, especially when you consider he hasn't KO'd anyone in 6 years. If Pac is going to win, he's going to have to win with speed, intelligence and a controlled aggression.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This might sound harsh but 12 hrs before the fight or after the last drug test manny should take as manny PEDS as possible.

He has never been found of taking PEDS but its the only way he could win and the phillipino people and his fans love him so much they will find a way to excuse it postfight when he is victorious and banned from the sport (a years ban under bob arum?)

Do it manny!

Its the only way!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's not your cleverest post really is it....

Mayweather hasn't stopped anyone in years either so that fact equals that out, Manny is still knocking people down at least and recently too.
    I'm basing this on what a limited skilled fighter (Maidana) was able to do to Floyd for a goo chunk of the first fight.
    Now swap Maidana for a southpaw super fast fighter with great footwork and KO power (Pacquiao).

Of course he should go at Floyd like a maniac from the start because Floyd always finds a way to suss people out, re adjust and win on points.

You need to force Floyd to fight at speed and drag him into a situation where he has to fight back- not easy I know but it really is the only way to beat him.

He simply hasn't got the engine to compete like that anymore.

I'd actually be surprised if Floyd won this fight and have Manny as a favourite.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In most big fights. That first round is usually that "feeling out" round. Noone wants to run straight into a punch double the force and wind up laid out, so you go out and you test the guy speed, taste a little power and see how jumpy he is with a few feints. Then at the end, you want to take the round and send him back to his corner with something to think about for the rest of the fight.

That being said, I think both fighters will go and look to establish the pace. Each guy hasn't really show themselves to be one punch knockout artists at this weight. So I wouldn't be surprised to see mayweather look to shut manny down early by bedazzling him on the counters to send the message that "youre not going to get any work done here" simply because he knows that even though he can adjust midfight, he doesn't want to get behind manny on points because manny has already got the aggression on his side and can rack up points with flurries. So he knows he has to back manny up somehow and show him he cant run in freely and tee off.

Manny's knows that he has to shut down floyds confidence right away and give him something to think about, simply because he has no voice in his corner that can really reassure him and get him straight for this one. (I tend to agree with roach that Floyd sr is worse than roger because hes about himself a lot of the times) Clipping floyd or making him feel the sting will get him thinking and he may give you another around while hes adjusting. The objective for manny is to set a fast pace. Didnt give floyd time to think or adjust or set traps.

I've always felt the way to beat floyd is to catch him in transition. Floyds either in an offensive mode or a defensive mode. Hes good at both. If you pressure him and crowd him. He goes into his shell and either waits for you to gas, then he tries to counter you inside and get you stepping out while he's still fresh. Hopkins used to do this too. If you pressure him and then stop throwing and step out and then immediately go on the offense again, you'll sucker him out of his shell and catch him in between gears. Manny has to to be one step ahead on every gear change and stay unpredictable
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

Mayweather hasn't stopped anyone in years either so that fact equals that out, Manny is still knocking people down at least and recently too.
    I'm basing this on what a limited skilled fighter (Maidana) was able to do to Floyd for a goo chunk of the first fight.
    Now swap Maidana for a southpaw super fast fighter with great footwork and KO power (Pacquiao).

Of course he should go at Floyd like a maniac from the start because Floyd always finds a way to suss people out, re adjust and win on points.

You need to force Floyd to fight at speed and drag him into a situation where he has to fight back- not easy I know but it really is the only way to beat him.

I'd actually be surprised if Floyd won this fight and have Manny as a favourite.
    Floyd's taps to the body and pinpoint accuracy and defense is all he needs to win..it really is that simple.

I look forward to our discussion post-fight...don't get all bitter on me after you see the result.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny will come out applying steady pressure as the fight unwinds, but I don't think we will see a windmilling Manny, who is chasing Floyd all over the ring.
    Floyd has probably watched every one of Manny's fights, but Floyd still likes to check out a fighter for a round or two (hand speed, foot speed, movement) and then pick them apart. Manny should take
    advantage of Floyd's careful speed-check start by holding a little back and see what happens when things really heat up.
    We're fooling ourselves if we think either one of these guys doesn't know the other one thoroughly and will be ready for just about anything.Knowing what's coming and being able to do something about it is what this fight will be about. IMO
    I just can't see Manny turning into a smaller version of Maidana who expects to push around and rough up Floyd.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@imp

No I wouldn't be bitter at all if Floyd won because he's a ring legend and a fighter only a fool would fail to respect and admire but my personal opinion is that Manny is all wrong for him at his age, is a southpaw and is way too fast for him to deal with at this stage of his career.
    I actually believe that Pacquiao will get the stoppage win 😉

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree Manny has to start fast and keep going at the fast pace which he can keep up for 12 rounds if he does not stop Floyd.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

Floyd isn't the KO artist: that was supposed to be Manny. When this fight was proposed years ago when both were in their respective primes, the people who backed Manny to win didn't back him on the notion that he would outfox Floyd, be smarter than him and win a decision. The idea was that Manny would lay hands on him and get him out of there like he had done to so many others. Well, it's been 6 years without a KO and if he couldn't get it done against guys like Chris Algeri and Brandon Rios, it stands to reason he's going to have a tough time doing it to Floyd Mayweather.

Suggesting someone go at Floyd like a maniac is moronic. Anybody who knows boxing knows that Maidana fought a great technical fight against Mayweather, but Mayweather made the adjustments in the second fight. Pac is not Maidana, that's never been his style. Why would he fight a different style in the biggest fight of his life? It makes no sense.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Thread Information