Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Brook vs Gavin? May 30th PPV

Are people excited for this? Feels like his 2 fights since he got a world title are below world title quality.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default re: Brook vs Gavin? May 30th PPV

I dont understand the question. He destroyed his mandatory after taking the title instead of fighting someone in the top 15 and then fighting Dan cause he had to. Nothing new there. Everybody does that.
    Now he's fighting Gavin who was about to fight an eliminator but since he's in Eddies stable they decided to forgo that and have the fight. Gavins in the top 5. Eddie certainly is not the first promoter to double dip the chip. Honest Al is doing that now and Oscar and Bob made millions doing it. Gavins ranked #5 behind Khan and Bradley and nether of them want the fight. He wants to stay active and this fight puts more pressure on Khan domestically. I have no problems with this at all. The "big names" have joined a cricket colony.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not blaming Brook. Just tired of all the reasons this guy doesn't want to fight that guy and that guy doesn't want to fight this guy. Everyone has a reason not to fight so many others.

Not to insult Gavin, but he isn't the 5th best welterweight in the world. I think we all know that.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Not blaming Brook. Just tired of all the reasons this guy doesn't want to fight that guy and that guy doesn't want to fight this guy. Everyone has a reason not to fight so many others.

Not to insult Gavin, but he isn't the 5th best welterweight in the world. I think we all know that.

Its frustrating. All the top guys seem to avoid each other. Everybody not wanting to lose their chance and the Floyd/Manny lottery.

The Peterson v Garcia gig is hilarious. Neither one has even faced a mandatory in the allotted time and still pretend to be champions. Now they hook up at 143 with no titles on the line. Its pathetic.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that when Khan's people ducked the opportunity to fight Bradley in an eliminator, Gavin was next in line. However, because he's just fought a mandatory , he can take a voluntary so he can fight Gavin and make good money for a domestic scrap with far less risk.
    My guess is that the fight after will probably be have to be Bradley , because Bradley had accepted the eliminator with Khan or Gavin , or a Marquez, Thurman, Khan (probably not Khan for a few reasons - Ramadan , head in the clouds , in line for Floyd/Manny, blah,blah,bullshit.)

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Brook vs Gavin? May 30th PPV

They've used this fight to make the card a PPV.

Brook-Gavin
    Micthell-Linares
    Selby-Gradovich
    Joshua-Kingpin
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Brook-Gavin
    Micthell-Linares
    Selby-Gradovich
    Joshua-Kingpin
    Well, dunno if it should be PPV, but 3 World Title fights on it , better than Bellew v Cleverley I suppose.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's an excellent card but it was so obvious they were gonna make it PPV. They basically canvassed opinion last week by mentioning Gavin as a possible Brook opponent.

To be frank - it's a shit fight. What chance has Gavin got? Even if he fiddled a win he'd probably not get it
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Its frustrating. All the top guys seem to avoid each other. Everybody not wanting to lose their chance and the Floyd/Manny lottery.

The Peterson v Garcia gig is hilarious. Neither one has even faced a mandatory in the allotted time and still pretend to be champions. Now they hook up at 143 with no titles on the line. Its pathetic.
    With how fraudulent everything has become I'm not sure it wouldn't be better if the promoters separated completely. At least then fighters would be acknowledged as the Haymon WW champion of the World. And the Top Rank Vacant World Champions rather than being thought of as World Champions even though they aren't willing to take on the world.(not even speaking of Brook BTW) Thing is we blame the fighters but truth is they are just better advised about their money now. And it goes across all sports, look at Lebron and his ilk they all talk constantly about their brand. I think these fighters just think I can make the big fights on the tail end of my career(like Hopkins) but first I have to take care of my family. It's logical but it doesn't play well to fans. What's worse is if a fighter said so he would be vilified. But a fighter that lies to the public "I'm a warrior they're scared...." Is championed. It's so confused now fans believe half the people that chose to devote their lives to fight sports are cowards. That is so illogical it hurts the brain but that's how lied to and confused fans are.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook v Gavin is a good domestic fight and keep Kell busy and still relevant. It will do for all concerned. There is a lot of posturing from the top welterweights but no one wants to take a chance.

No way is this ppv!
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With how fraudulent everything has become I'm not sure it wouldn't be better if the promoters separated completely. At least then fighters would be acknowledged as the Haymon WW champion of the World. And the Top Rank Vacant World Champions rather than being thought of as World Champions even though they aren't willing to take on the world.(not even speaking of Brook BTW) Thing is we blame the fighters but truth is they are just better advised about their money now. And it goes across all sports, look at Lebron and his ilk they all talk constantly about their brand. I think these fighters just think I can make the big fights on the tail end of my career(like Hopkins) but first I have to take care of my family. It's logical but it doesn't play well to fans. What's worse is if a fighter said so he would be vilified. But a fighter that lies to the public "I'm a warrior they're scared...." Is championed. It's so confused now fans believe half the people that chose to devote their lives to fight sports are cowards. That is so illogical it hurts the brain but that's how lied to and confused fans are.
    So many belts....so little time. How can something so meaningless mean so much to so many?

Because its been allowed to go this far and the fab 4 have survived with fringe belts popping up here and there, basic math has now taken over. If they did it right, can you imagine how long the waiting list would be for legitimate contenders It now feeds on itself and we will have about 10 billion in supply by about 2025.

But maybe something will come of this network stuff. I doubt it because the species has a shrinking attention span so the money will remain with smoke and mirrors. The ppv buying,wwf buying crowd has subscribed to mediocrity. The Peterson/Garcia thing is just unbelievable. Both those tadpoles discredit the sport and I used to like Lamont and his story. This catch-weight garbage is out of hand. Either add 5 divisions or dump about 8.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is ppv! Joke. Why bother having a sky subscription?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fights confirmed for 30 May at the O2 Arena include:

Kell Brook v Frankie Gavin
    IBF welterweight title

Kevin Mitchell v Jorge Linares
    WBC lightweight title

Lee Selby v Evgeny Gradovich
    IBF featherweight title

Anthony Joshua MBE v Kevin Johnson
    WBC International heavyweight title

John Ryder v Nick Blackwell
    Vacant British middleweight title

Scotty Cardle v Craig Evans
    Vacant British lightweight title

Dave Ryan v John Wayne Hibbert
    Commonwealth light-welterweight title

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Brook-Gavin
    Micthell-Linares
    Selby-Gradovich
    Joshua-Kingpin
    This is exactly why it's been made. It is a domestic scrap that Matchroom are using to milk Gavin before the mirage evaporates completely. The whole 'fun time', missing the Olympics etc back story, has for me, always masked the fact that Frankie was never as good as everyone hyped him up to be. For those not familiar with that from overseas, it would appear a bit mystifying.

Still it would be a solid night of boxing with a few Brits in world title fights for us in Blighty were it not for the whole PPV charade. Master is right after paying for a subscription, charging again on top for this is a joke. Eddie can't even stop himself physically rubbing his hands together, so smug has he become. Don't get me wrong, Matchroom are essential for the British fight game, and them competing with Frank is great for fans. Everyone has to up their game. PPV though?

You are having a giraffe
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sky were desperate to make a ppv card this summer and now there's two in May alone.
    Thought they'd leanrt their lesson after the bellew- cleverley fiasco

Hearn has failed to make Khan vs brook, degale vs froch, groves vs degale or quigg vs frampton so no big Wembley fight this year. Instead it's as if theyve said this'll have to do and given us a fight that nobody has asked for or wants to see

Ppv?! Adam smith made the decision to go with Hearn over any other promoter but the sooner the contract runs out the better cus it's gone stale and he isn't delivering the fights people wanna see.

Thread Information