Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Calzaghe/Hopkins. The workrate and speed should be enough to outwork the older cagier spoil minded guy.
    You think Floyd is a spoiler?!?!

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Logic Behind a Pacquiao win...makes no sense

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4life View Post
    Hey guys, it's been a while and I probably have been forgotten at this point but this fight was worth a return to one of my favorite places.

I've been debating a lot regarding this fight and honestly the logic behind a pacqiou win confuses me. Here's the two things i've heard the most......

"Floyd Gets Koed"
    welll my thinking is......
    1. Floyd has never been down
    2. Pacman couldn't put bradley down, a guy who has been down a few times in his career
    3. And he hasn't gotten anyone out of there for a looonngg timmeee

So unless something is awfully off with Floyd i don't see this happening at all

The other things i hear is

"Pac will outwork mayweather"

1. Assuming he can just walk through Floyds punches, which so far none of his 47 opponents have been able to do, not even tough chinned guys like Maidana and Canelo.
    2. Mayweather only gets busier when pressed and rarely actually loses rounds.
    3. Pacqiou had a hard time cutting an old Mosely off
    4. Mayweather is not Algerie

Overall I think it's crazy to assume pacman wins this fight at this stage of his career. His physique looks worn, he's not the same man who beat down a Cotto or a Margarito. And overall i feel like the guys that "troubled" floyd were rough houses who were physically imposing themselves on Mayweather. In this fight Money also has the size advantage, which isn't where you want to be against Floyd. Overall, call me crazy, but i think we see a Mayweather vs Gatti moment. Mostly due to the fact that i think some time after 6 rounds, manny will go for broke.
    Logic says Mayweather

But I dunno.....I just got this feeling Pac-Man will do him. One thing I will say is that if Floyd does win, it won't be easy and it won't be a clear victory. Pac man will put on enough of a showing to make a rematch an option.

It won't be a Canelo. It won't a Guerrero. Or Marquez. Or pretty much most of Floyds fights. Where picks and pops and makes the guy miss, on his way to a UD. I just can't see him winning this fight clearly.

I want Floyd to win and would like to proven wrong and I hope he outclasses Pac-Man. I really do. But it happened to Ray Leonard, Ali, hell even Sugar Ray Robinson. That supremly confident fighters always get humbled eventually. That's just the way the Boxing gods have it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey guys, it's been a while and I probably have been forgotten at this point but this fight was worth a return to one of my favorite places.

I've been debating a lot regarding this fight and honestly the logic behind a pacqiou win confuses me. Here's the two things i've heard the most......

"Floyd Gets Koed"
    2. Pacman couldn't put bradley down, a guy who has been down a few times in his career

1. Assuming he can just walk through Floyds punches, which so far none of his 47 opponents have been able to do, not even tough chinned guys like Maidana and Canelo.

Overall I think it's crazy to assume pacman wins this fight at this stage of his career. His physique looks worn, he's not the same man who beat down a Cotto or a Margarito. And overall i feel like the guys that "troubled" floyd were rough houses who were physically imposing themselves on Mayweather. In this fight Money also has the size advantage, which isn't where you want to be against Floyd. Overall, call me crazy, but i think we see a Mayweather vs Gatti moment. Mostly due to the fact that i think some time after 6 rounds, manny will go for broke.
    I think Manny not having power at the weight in a long time is not really accurate. I think he's become less aggressive so he won't get caught. Popular logic doesn't say that Manny will win but rather that Floyd is going to win. The only one I recall putting Bradley down was Provodnikov and he was in the refs way but basically pushed him down to his knee after hitting him in the back of the head. Floyd would never fight Bradley so there is nothing to compare. Most every fighter against Pacquiao in his later career with the exception of Marquez had size advantage over Pacquiao. Floyd won't have any weight advantage against pacquiao where Floyd used it against Marquez.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

"Floyd Gets Koed"

I think Manny not having power at the weight in a long time is not really accurate. I think he's become less aggressive so he won't get caught. Popular logic doesn't say that Manny will win but rather that Floyd is going to win. The only one I recall putting Bradley down was Provodnikov and he was in the refs way but basically pushed him down to his knee after hitting him in the back of the head. Floyd would never fight Bradley so there is nothing to compare. Most every fighter against Pacquiao in his later career with the exception of Marquez had size advantage over Pacquiao. Floyd won't have any weight advantage against pacquiao where Floyd used it against Marquez.
    IMO Floyd is a naturally a bit bigger than Pacquiao. He's got about 2 inches on him in height and 3 inch in reach. He's also been fighting at welterweight longer than Pacquiao.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

"Floyd Gets Koed"

Logic says Mayweather

But I dunno.....I just got this feeling Pac-Man will do him. One thing I will say is that if Floyd does win, it won't be easy and it won't be a clear victory. Pac man will put on enough of a showing to make a rematch an option.

It won't be a Canelo. It won't a Guerrero. Or Marquez. Or pretty much most of Floyds fights. Where picks and pops and makes the guy miss, on his way to a UD. I just can't see him winning this fight clearly.

I want Floyd to win and would like to proven wrong and I hope he outclasses Pac-Man. I really do. But it happened to Ray Leonard, Ali, hell even Sugar Ray Robinson. That supremly confident fighters always get humbled eventually. That's just the way the Boxing gods have it.
    I dont think this will happen here, the "histroy repeats itself" cliche, is just that, a cliche. Personally i dont think Manny is Manny anymore, no matter how hard he trains, and Floyd has not slipped by much, which is why i think this will be a shutout. In his last few fights Manny looked less than impressive against less than impressive opposition.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Floyd Gets Koed"

Logic says Mayweather

I dont think this will happen here, the "histroy repeats itself" cliche, is just that, a cliche. Personally i dont think Manny is Manny anymore, no matter how hard he trains, and Floyd has not slipped by much, which is why i think this will be a shutout. In his last few fights Manny looked less than impressive against less than impressive opposition.
    I don't entirely disagree, but Floyd should have blown out Maidana. He's the typical Floyd opponent: slow of hand, heavy feet, and relatively slow reflexes. Recall that Devon Alexander took Maidana to school by boxing and moving. Yet, it took Floyd two goes at the apple. The Manny of old stops Algieri and Rios though - no doubt about it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When was the last time Floyd blew out anyone?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is all kinds of favored to win this fight. But, Pacquiao is a relentless southpaw who throws a hard straight and snappy left that always seems to cut his opponent. There's no way the Philly Shell can block that. Floyd has to dodge and move out of harms way then capitalize on counter opportunities. It's very risky. The problem that Pacquiao poses is after a straight left and you are on the ropes there's more to come. And they're coming from all weird angles. Take note, it's not a left jab, which he is a sucker for, it's a straight left hand from Manny Pacquiao.

I'm curious on how will Floyd react to a nasty cut or a broken eye socket once that unprotected left side of Floyd gets hit. He can't avoid it using the Philly shell, he can't use the shoulder roll. I believe the most effective way to prevent that is by making Pacquiao allergic to a check left hook. He should stun him using that because if not, Pacquiao will keep coming. You have hurt him real bad on his feet or knock him out senseless like what Marquez did.
    An empty can is always noisy.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okay, now for a boxing IQ test. What is the difference between Marquez and Floyd? I'm bringing up this issue as many fans and even experts are using Floyd's beating of Marquez as sort of a gauge to predict the outcome of the fight. If you can answer this, you'll know why Manny can beat Floyd. This is a very crucial difference or issue that I'm counting on for Manny to beat Floyd. Anyone up to the challenge?
    There's logic lurking somewhere under the intangibles of boxing that only the people who really knows the sport can find or see. Think about it.
    Last edited by pacfan; 05-01-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by pacfan View Post
    Okay, now for a boxing IQ test. What is the difference between Marquez and Floyd? I'm bringing up this issue as many fans and even experts are using Floyd's beating of Marquez as sort of a gauge to predict the outcome of the fight. If you can answer this, you'll know why Manny can beat Floyd. This is a very crucial difference or issue that I'm counting on for Manny to beat Floyd. Anyone up to the challenge?
    There's logic lurking somewhere under the intangibles of boxing that only the people who really knows the sport can find or see. Think about it.

I dont ever agree with the if A beat B and B beat C than that means A can beat C. But the "difference" you're talking about I dont know, they have a ton of differences. I just think overall mayweather is a much better fighter than marquez, and manny always struggles with people who can move. I keep saying it and i stand by it, this fight wont be close. But please do impart your wisdom on us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by the_PRODIGY View Post
    Floyd is all kinds of favored to win this fight. But, Pacquiao is a relentless southpaw who throws a hard straight and snappy left that always seems to cut his opponent. There's no way the Philly Shell can block that. Floyd has to dodge and move out of harms way then capitalize on counter opportunities. It's very risky. The problem that Pacquiao poses is after a straight left and you are on the ropes there's more to come. And they're coming from all weird angles. Take note, it's not a left jab, which he is a sucker for, it's a straight left hand from Manny Pacquiao.

I'm curious on how will Floyd react to a nasty cut or a broken eye socket once that unprotected left side of Floyd gets hit. He can't avoid it using the Philly shell, he can't use the shoulder roll. I believe the most effective way to prevent that is by making Pacquiao allergic to a check left hook. He should stun him using that because if not, Pacquiao will keep coming. You have hurt him real bad on his feet or knock him out senseless like what Marquez did.
    I dont think he uses the philly shell for pac, i think he puts his window up like he did against Shane and walks him back. I think Roach and Manny will try to time the right hook when maywaether shoots the right, becausehe leaves his chin open, but once floyd gets hit once, i think he takes it away from him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Canelo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

"Floyd Gets Koed"

Logic says Mayweather

I don't entirely disagree, but Floyd should have blown out Maidana. He's the typical Floyd opponent: slow of hand, heavy feet, and relatively slow reflexes. Recall that Devon Alexander took Maidana to school by boxing and moving. Yet, it took Floyd two goes at the apple. The Manny of old stops Algieri and Rios though - no doubt about it.

I think Maidana is much stronger than pacqiou physically, which is why he was able to do what he was able to do. IN fact, i think Marcos is extremely underrated. I actually wouldve loved to see how a fight with him and Manny would go.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by pacfan View Post

I dont ever agree with the if A beat B and B beat C than that means A can beat C. But the "difference" you're talking about I dont know, they have a ton of differences. I just think overall mayweather is a much better fighter than marquez, and manny always struggles with people who can move. I keep saying it and i stand by it, this fight wont be close. But please do impart your wisdom on us.
    Thanks @Boxer4life, and I do respect your opinion, it's pretty reasonable.
    Well the big difference is that Marquez can hurt Manny, but can Floyd? I think not. You see, the reason Manny had difficulty with Marquez was that he wasn't able do what he wanted offensively because every time Manny came in, he was made to pay dearly for it (you can see Manny's busted face after every fight with Marquez). That limited his offense which was the key to all his victory. So if Manny can take Floyd's punch, which I think he can, he will be coming in and in and it will be just a matter of time that Floyd will be caught by his big shots and I believe when that happens, like all other opponents of Manny, Floyd will either be KO/TKO'd or will be forced to backtrack the rest of the fight, just like what Mosley, Cotto and others did. And I've seen nobody who backtracks win. This is what I'm expecting Saturday and we shall see...
    Last edited by pacfan; 05-01-2015 at 11:23 PM.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Canelo
    That is not what I mean. I meant knocked out cleanly without anyone giving him a free punch.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information