Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to thank Evander Holyfield!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I have to thank Evander Holyfield!

Do you know that if it were not for Evander Holyfield, we would not have had any connection with any of the greats to any meaningful extent?

We have to thank Evander for fighting Lewis twice; fighting Bowe three times; fighting Tyson twice; fighting Moorer twice; fighting a comeback Foreman; fighting Ray Mercer; and fighting a comebacking Larry Holmes. He did not have to do any of that shit. None of it. But he did. All except for Foreman (but not really) and Holmes were all in their prime.

Thanks to Evander for making the 90's extra for the heavyweights.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I have to thank Evander Holyfield!

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Do you know that if it were not for Evander Holyfield, we would not have had any connection with any of the greats to any meaningful extent?

We have to thank Evander for fighting Lewis twice; fighting Bowe three times; fighting Tyson twice; fighting Moorer twice; fighting a comeback Foreman; fighting Ray Mercer; and fighting a comebacking Larry Holmes. He did not have to do any of that shit. None of it. But he did. All except for Foreman (but not really) and Holmes were all in their prime.

Thanks to Evander for making the 90's extra for the heavyweights.
    umm he fought the best opposition available at all times, he did the same at Cruiserweight, that's what REAL champions are supposed to do, not fight losers like Rios or Algieri

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is a bit late to thank him now but yes he was a quality fighter who gave it his all.

He did have some bad showings against Moorer, should have finished Bowe in their 3rd fight and at the end was losing more fights than he won.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that he was a true champion, but Tyson was by no means in his prime when they fought.

Prime Tyson v prime Holyfield would have been a great fight though.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tysonesque View Post
    I agree that he was a true champion, but Tyson was by no means in his prime when they fought.

Prime Tyson v prime Holyfield would have been a great fight though.
    Prime Tyson is a great fight for any elite heavyweight in history. That being said, I feel like Evander is one of the worst style match ups for Mike. I feel like their first fight was great regardless, but prime vs prime would've been UNBELIEVABLE. Feel like Evander wins regardless though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last night he kept doing us favors by "knocking out" Mitt Romney in a charity event

It was pretty bad acting, but it beats him still stubbornly hanging on and being bashed up in the real ring.

Legend. Fact!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He must be thanked. Because while others were dodging and running from real fights, Lennox included, he made fights happen.

The only fight Lennox REALLY wanted was the Holyfield fight. But his attempts at Bowe and his earlier attempts with Tyson were half-hearted. At best.

No Foreman and no Moorer for Lewis either.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He must be thanked. Because while others were dodging and running from real fights, Lennox included, he made fights happen.

The only fight Lennox REALLY wanted was the Holyfield fight. But his attempts at Bowe and his earlier attempts with Tyson were half-hearted. At best.

Foreman said he wanted no part of Lennox. Moorer would not survive 5 rounds with Lennox.
    Last edited by Master; 05-18-2015 at 02:19 AM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok you're entitled to your opinion like everyone else BUT let me tell you the facts
    Lennox Lewis never ducked anyone. I was there when Lennox & a girl in a yellow chicken suit confronted Bowe with CHICKEN BOWE across the front. Bowe refuse to acknowledge them & walked away. Also I met Bowe & Rock Newman in Dallas I asked Newman why they renaged on the Lewis deal. His reply was " Why risk everything against Lewis when we can sell Dokes & Ferguson with very little risk"? Who wasn't interested I wonder.?
    Same was Tyson, King paid Lennox $4 mil to step aside with the promise he'd get next shot. The rest is history
    When asked about Lennox it was GEORGE said NO!!!! How serious George was but he claimed that night that Lennox was a better fighter than ALI
    As for Evander he was indeed a warrior In that notorious Lewis-Holyfield draw debacle I really felt sorry for EVander. When that scorecard of Eugenia Williams was read out as Vander won the fight the most surprised & shocked face belonged to Evander. He knew he didn't win didn't even come close but he had to accept it & act as though he agreed
    It was a shame the cloud of suspicion over Evander with the "Evan Fields" steroid conspiracy tarnished his career. Evander was a WARRIOR always gave 100%
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who cares that Lennox didn't fight Moorer, Moorer was legendary at lighter weights but he wasn't a great heavyweight? And Foreman was a side show. Don't get me wrong, Foreman could still beat some people, hence Tysons crippling fear of him, but old George wasn't a great either.

And let's not forget your hero Evan Fields was a known steroid cheat.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Who cares that Lennox didn't fight Moorer, Moorer was legendary at lighter weights but he wasn't a great heavyweight? And Foreman was a side show. Don't get me wrong, Foreman could still beat some people, hence Tysons crippling fear of him, but old George wasn't a great either.

Doctor Ron,

You are correct on 2 of the above 3 statements. That's batting .667 > which puts you in the
    'Hall of Fame'.

But if you think that George Foreman was 'a joke', then you never saw him in Training.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post

Doctor Ron,

You are correct on 2 of the above 3 statements. That's batting .667 > which puts you in the
    'Hall of Fame'.

But if you think that George Foreman was 'a joke', then you never saw him in Training.
    I didn't say joke, I said he wasn't a great anymore. I said side show because more people cared about his age than anything else.

There are very few greats, young George was one of them, I'm not going to elevate old George to that status because he landed one punch on Moorers sweet spot.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post

Doctor Ron,

'Hall of Fame'.

I didn't say joke, I said he wasn't a great anymore. I said side show because more people cared about his age than anything else.

There are very few greats, young George was one of them, I'm not going to elevate old George to that status because he landed one punch on Moorers sweet spot.
    in all honesty, I think Old George would have whooped Young George's ass, he came back a more well rounded (no pun intended) fighter, had an outstanding piston like jab that he didn't have before and anvil straight right hand rather than just his clubbing hooks and wide uppercuts of when he was young, he also paced himself a lot better and could still take a nuclear bomb on the chin without flinching, he was a great fighter period, didn't matter what time frame

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield had one of the biggest hearts in boxing history, a real warrior.

I must say that the fact he was juicing through most of his elite pro career has got to count against him though. I remember being incredulous that he could keep up such a pace against Qawi, I marvelled at the way he put on weight to become a true heavyweight and I always admired the way he came on strong in the championship rounds.

The heart issues he suffered should have been a giveaway earlier on.

I can't abide dopers, and it was rife in boxing in the 90s. Unfortunately, Evander cheated.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm glad Evander has lived long enough to hear those accolades.

Most of his career he was called a blown up cruiser weight who would lose to the first young heavy he would fight.
    Even though he did lose he went on to shock the world time and time again.
    Real Deal Holyfield.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information