Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Al Haymon allow Deontay Wilder to fight Alexander Povetkin?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will Al Haymon allow Deontay Wilder to fight Alexander Povetkin?

I know Wilder is brave enough to fight Povetkin, either in the USA or in Russia.

But Al Haymon has been very protective of him. I wonder will Haymon have Wilder avoid his mandatory?

I'd love to see Povetkin-Wilder. I think they are both legit top heavyweights, probably the #2 and #3 best after Wladimir Klitschko.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Will Al Haymon allow Deontay Wilder to fight Alexander Povetkin?

HUGE chance for Povetkin to get a belt. I think he'll give Wilder hell.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good question and I hope the answer is YES.

Al Haymon may be protective, but he's a fool if he thinks he can keep protecting Wilder forever.
    It's like saving a fresh fruit for too long..... it ends up spoiling.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Wilder uses his legs and his jab and dosnt stand stationary with a high guard like he did at times against Stiverne he should win fairly comfortably.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No. No he won't. They are going to put a fake mustache on Wilder and put him in witness protection. Don't think he is strong enough or owns the tool box for him. If he thinks he is preparing by defending vs unranked Journeymen he is kidding himself.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder will knock this turkey out
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I know Wilder is brave enough to fight Povetkin, either in the USA or in Russia.

But Al Haymon has been very protective of him. I wonder will Haymon have Wilder avoid his mandatory?

I'd love to see Povetkin-Wilder. I think they are both legit top heavyweights, probably the #2 and #3 best after Wladimir Klitschko.
    I hope so, this would be a good test for them both. Haymon has been making the right moves so far and is changing boxing for the better so making sure this fight gets made will be a win, win for Haymon. It will prove he wants to see the best fight the best, no matter what, plus show that Haymon is about fights not international boundaries. IMO

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It depends on what makes Wilder the most money. Haymon will do whatever makes him the most.

If avoiding him and going for Wlad is the most lucrative they will do that. If avoiding everyone credible makes the most they will do that.

The truth is always revealed eventually. Just often not in the way people want. If Wilder avoids everyone he's exposed as much as by losing.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It will be a good fight and Povetkin is only slightly better than Stiverne, so why not. Especially with Russian money, Wilder would be mad to turn it down.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It will be a good fight and Povetkin is only slightly better than Stiverne, so why not. Especially with Russian money, Wilder would be mad to turn it down.
    Do you know how the WBC splits it? Like 70/30 for the champion or 60/40? If it's 70/30 Haymon may just wait on a purse bid because Povetkins backers bid HUGE.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Do you know how the WBC splits it? Like 70/30 for the champion or 60/40? If it's 70/30 Haymon may just wait on a purse bid because Povetkins backers bid HUGE.
    Wlad was paid a career high purse.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    No. No he won't. They are going to put a fake mustache on Wilder and put him in witness protection. Don't think he is strong enough or owns the tool box for him. If he thinks he is preparing by defending vs unranked Journeymen he is kidding himself.
    Yes, fighting Molina won't help prepare him for a top heavyweight like Povetkin.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Povetkin is far from a turkey. Wilder still has a lot to learn as a pro. I think Deontay hits harder than Wlad but in doing so he puts himself in harms way more often because he sells out on his punches which means A) he's more open to counters and B) more apt to gas out if he's pressed for 12 rounds.

Povetkin needs to get inside and stay there. He can't afford to take clean shots and I doubt Deontay will utilize the clinch as good as Wlad did....if you don't tie up those hands when a smaller fighter gets inside then you are in big trouble especially when the guy hits like Povetkin does. It's not an easy fight for either fighter but Povetkin has a HUGE edge in experience.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Povetkin is far from a turkey. Wilder still has a lot to learn as a pro. I think Deontay hits harder than Wlad but in doing so he puts himself in harms way more often because he sells out on his punches which means A) he's more open to counters and B) more apt to gas out if he's pressed for 12 rounds.

Povetkin needs to get inside and stay there. He can't afford to take clean shots and I doubt Deontay will utilize the clinch as good as Wlad did....if you don't tie up those hands when a smaller fighter gets inside then you are in big trouble especially when the guy hits like Povetkin does. It's not an easy fight for either fighter but Povetkin has a HUGE edge in experience.

Excellent analysis. Agreed 100%.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

I'd love to see Povetkin-Wilder. I think they are both .
    I hope so, this would be a good test for them both. Haymon has been making the right moves so far and is changing boxing for the better so making sure this fight gets made will be a win, win for Haymon. It will prove he wants to see the best fight the best, no matter what, plus show that Haymon is about fights not international boundaries. IMO
    I agree.
    Haymon is changing the game.
    If his stable gets any bigger he will be the Dana White of boxing-so it won't matter who Wilder faces-Haymon will probably lock up the # 2-3-4-5 ranked next in line.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information