Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotto vs. Canelo verbal deal reached (if Cotto beats Geale)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto vs. Canelo verbal deal reached (if Cotto beats Geale)

Cotto Says There is a Verbal With HBO/GBP For Canelo - Boxing News

This would be a superb fight. I'd be totally torn on who to root for as I'm a big fan of both. Great fight, lets just hope Geale doesn't ruin it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What catchweight? Haha

Seriously, we will have a "Jr Middleweight" who campaigns at 155 against a "Middleweight" who campaigns at 157. There is absolutely no need for a catchweight but these divas will probably make the fight at 156 to appease eaches enormous ego.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto vs. Canelo verbal deal reached (if Cotto beats Geale)

It should be at 154. Cotto seems intent on being the new Butterbean.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Cotto and Canelo and if they get it on, good luck to them. But if Geale does beat Cotto (and I think as long as he's not weight drained , it's a very real prospect.), then it's too bad. I don't think it would be a massive upset.
    When he got KO'd by GGG he hit Golovkin with some big shots and I don't know if Cotto will take those. Look back at that fight and you'll see just as GGG KO'd Geale, Geale hit GGG with a peach of a shot, but it just had no effect. GGG isn't just a banger, he definitely has a solid chin.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah some Cotto haters dismiss his choice of Geale as an opponent saying Geale ain't shit... but in all honesty they know little of the guy, who just isn't all that well known in some circles but is a pretty good MW in his own right.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Canelo beats the shit out of this moron.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Yeah some Cotto haters dismiss his choice of Geale as an opponent saying Geale ain't shit... but in all honesty they know little of the guy, who just isn't all that well known in some circles but is a pretty good MW in his own right.
    I don't have any problem with him fighting Geale, I think it's a legit test for a guy who, despite being a linear MW champ, we don't know is a true MW.

Cotto had a choice: be a middleweight or move back down to 154 and be a junior middleweight. By fighting Geale, in my eyes that's him saying "I want to be a middleweight". Well if you want to be a middleweight, and you want to be the middleweight champion of the world, you have to fight GGG after Geale. The fact that he's opting for Canelo instead is disgraceful IMO and is a perfect example of why boxing has gone to shit in the public's eye.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This reducing every difference to "hater" is tiresome. I've been a hardcore fan of Cotto since day one and this is still a joke. Whats he going to do next insist on a rehydration clause like Broner in the Porter fight? If they are going to start cherry picking then just re-institute same day freakin weigh ins and stop all this clowning.

You cant make this stuff up.

While the REAL middleweight champion waits on the sidelines unable to execute his mandatory status because the WBC has agreed to give Cotto a pass in order to fight Alvarez as long as the winner agrees to fight the Kazak immediately we get the following scenario.

Two non middleweights fighting for the lineal middleweight championship of the world at a catchweight of most likely 156 and getting all the glamour, admiration, money etc for something that in truth belongs to neither.. The winner will then be in Ring magazine as the top middleweight in the world at the very same time that they are balking on the contract they signed to fight the Kazak. So in essence most likely Alvarez will be at the top of the food chain at middle having never fought one.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The way cotto does business, i'll wait to see it in writing.....
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey, I've been on record as saying numerous times that I don't think Cotto is a true MW. Having said that, I've also been pretty vocal in support of Cotto in his negotiations with Canelo, using all the leverage he's got, and refusing to cave to Canelo's people's demands. Neither Cotto nor Canelo want to fight GGG... that much is clear. A fight between Cotto and Canelo would still be a major draw, regardless of the weight. Let's not also pretend Cotto is the first or only fighter to be playing these weight/ division games. Let's also not pretend that Cotto is the first or only fighter trying to maximize his compensation for a lifetime of wars. Between him and Canelo, there's only one who has earned the right to maximize his earnings toward the end of his career..... and it's not Canelo. So I'll continue defending some things, while not defending others.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Cotto should scrape past Geale but see him losing to Canelo but I will be supporting Cotto. Either way I hope GGG gets the winner but I highly doubt that. GGG is the real middleweight champion.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    This reducing every difference to "hater" is tiresome. I've been a hardcore fan of Cotto since day one and this is still a joke. Whats he going to do next insist on a rehydration clause like Broner in the Porter fight? If they are going to start cherry picking then just re-institute same day freakin weigh ins and stop all this clowning.

You cant make this stuff up.

While the REAL middleweight champion waits on the sidelines unable to execute his mandatory status because the WBC has agreed to give Cotto a pass in order to fight Alvarez as long as the winner agrees to fight the Kazak immediately we get the following scenario.

Two non middleweights fighting for the lineal middleweight championship of the world at a catchweight of most likely 156 and getting all the glamour, admiration, money etc for something that in truth belongs to neither.. The winner will then be in Ring magazine as the top middleweight in the world at the very same time that they are balking on the contract they signed to fight the Kazak. So in essence most likely Alvarez will be at the top of the food chain at middle having never fought one.
    Ain't that the truth!

Poor GGG can't get any of these fools in the ring with him.

At this rate he'll have to fight Wlad if he wants to get a champ in the ring with him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto/Canelo winner gets GGG sounds good, now if only Quillen or Lee would fight GGG to just set the stage for the super fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don'tforget Canelo is only 24 yrs old...he's got room to grow(fatter).

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    Don'tforget Canelo is only 24 yrs old...he's got room to grow(fatter).
    Canelo has three more top years before he fades out. He has had a lot of fights against top fighters.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information