Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Quiting

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    What happened last night was bad for the image. reputation and integrity of the sport. It calls it into disrepute and makes a mockery of all the brave men that have battled through unbelievable hardship, and seemingly insurmountable odds to pull a victory out of the fire. Still with any luck Canelo will spark the twat out or Golovkin will finally get the chance to retire the bloke for good at a weight not dictated by Michelle Cotto.

Geale surprised me by saying he had enough but then even a few rounds of sparring is unwise and terribly punishing after the equivalent of a bad bout of diarrhea or a similar dehydrating unnecessary loss of weight.
    @Greenbeanz you know I have alot of respect for your opinion on here but you're acting like Cotto is the first guy to have ever done this. Manny Pacquiao made Cotto drop weight under the 147 limit despite fighting at that limit before. Before that he made his name beating the corpse of the dehydrated Oscar De La Hoya. He also won a light-middleweight title at 150 so he could call himself an "8 division world champion" against a cheating fucker who should have been kicked out of the sport instead of making alot of money in another prize fight. Yet Pacquiao is hailed as one of the greatest things to happen to the sport. Cotto didn't event it, but if it was acceptable for Pacquiao then why not maximise your bank account?
    Fair point and I have as usual my tongue halfway in cheek when I say it but it does stick in the throat. I have respect for Cotto's ability as any boxing fan would, even now. As a bloke though he has always come across as a bit of a dick and the humble pie schtick always seemed like just that, schtick, an act, now the veneer has dropped and it's more obvious. You are right Manny was also a diva for asking Cotto to drop to 145 for the WBO and some Diamond bollocky belt but if anything that should be more reason fro Cotto to be consistent and demand that his opponents not be put through the same BS as he was.

The catchweight alone is not the real problem even though it stinks, it's the fact that it is for a belt that the most dominant middleweight for a long time really wants to fight for, and the chance for that same guy to become lineal champ. Cotto could drop it and still fight Canelo, who again is not a middleweight, and yet he again is asking for special treatment and even openly admitting he is not a middleweight and virtually dismissing GGG and his achievements by ignoring the elephant in the room. It sucks donkey's balls and just eats away at Cotto's own legacy.
    But what did Cotto get for that? Did people say it was BS, or does history just remember that Manny beat the snot out of him and went on to make a boat load of money. So if Cotto receives no sympathy from fans for that then why not make money from doing the same thing? FFS there are blinded people on here who believe that Margarito beat Cotto fair and square and criticise the stoppage in the rematch. I fully understand your point on Golovkin, but he will get his belt eventually. The WBC have already told Cotto he can only delay for Canelo.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think in some cases quitting begins long before the opening bell.
    That sir is known as a diver

I don't know what is in a man's heart but Geale had that look on the ring walk.
    Quitting comes in different ways.
    Freitas quit like a bitch
    Victor Ortiz Imo didn't outright quit, rather he got the fIght beaten out of him.
    Tyson biting Evander's 2nd ear was the apex of a bully-exposed as a cowardly-quitter.
    Erik Morales vs Pac 3 was a warrior exposed as an aged fighter with nothing left to give-nothing left to prove by sitting on his buttocks looking at his corner with a look of "fuck this...I ain't got it in me mo' "

A quote can be found on the internet of an amateur fighter saying to his corner:
    Throw in the towel.
    His corner relied, there is no towel, give it one more round.
    The fighter said well fuck it, throw the bucket! I quit!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Q-U-I-T-T-I-N-G

Sometimes, nothin' can be a real cool hand.

There will always be another day.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes nothin', can be a real 'cool hand."

'Cool Hand Luke'

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-08-2015 at 04:43 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What happened last night was bad for the image. reputation and integrity of the sport. It calls it into disrepute and makes a mockery of all the brave men that have battled through unbelievable hardship, and seemingly insurmountable odds to pull a victory out of the fire. Still with any luck Canelo will spark the twat out or Golovkin will finally get the chance to retire the bloke for good at a weight not dictated by Michelle Cotto.

Geale surprised me by saying he had enough but then even a few rounds of sparring is unwise and terribly punishing after the equivalent of a bad bout of diarrhea or a similar dehydrating unnecessary loss of weight.
    @Greenbeanz you know I have alot of respect for your opinion on here but you're acting like Cotto is the first guy to have ever done this. Manny Pacquiao made Cotto drop weight under the 147 limit despite fighting at that limit before. Before that he made his name beating the corpse of the dehydrated Oscar De La Hoya. He also won a light-middleweight title at 150 so he could call himself an "8 division world champion" against a cheating fucker who should have been kicked out of the sport instead of making alot of money in another prize fight. Yet Pacquiao is hailed as one of the greatest things to happen to the sport. Cotto didn't event it, but if it was acceptable for Pacquiao then why not maximise your bank account?
    Fair point and I have as usual my tongue halfway in cheek when I say it but it does stick in the throat. I have respect for Cotto's ability as any boxing fan would, even now. As a bloke though he has always come across as a bit of a dick and the humble pie schtick always seemed like just that, schtick, an act, now the veneer has dropped and it's more obvious. You are right Manny was also a diva for asking Cotto to drop to 145 for the WBO and some Diamond bollocky belt but if anything that should be more reason fro Cotto to be consistent and demand that his opponents not be put through the same BS as he was.

The catchweight alone is not the real problem even though it stinks, it's the fact that it is for a belt that the most dominant middleweight for a long time really wants to fight for, and the chance for that same guy to become lineal champ. Cotto could drop it and still fight Canelo, who again is not a middleweight, and yet he again is asking for special treatment and even openly admitting he is not a middleweight and virtually dismissing GGG and his achievements by ignoring the elephant in the room. It sucks donkey's balls and just eats away at Cotto's own legacy.
    But what did Cotto get for that? Did people say it was BS, or does history just remember that Manny beat the snot out of him and went on to make a boat load of money. So if Cotto receives no sympathy from fans for that then why not make money from doing the same thing? FFS there are blinded people on here who believe that Margarito beat Cotto fair and square and criticise the stoppage in the rematch. I fully understand your point on Golovkin, but he will get his belt eventually. The WBC have already told Cotto he can only delay for Canelo.
    I am one of those guys that think, well not think but KNOW, Margarito beat Cotto fair & square. He made him kneel in surrender by beating the heck out of him
    And yes Margarito was set to repeat the process in the rematch despite only having one good eye. The doc waited till Margarito was coming on & beating his chest at Cotto & Cotto was slumped in his corner looking beaten to stop the fight. Even though he knew Margarito had only one good eye from round 2. That fight was stopped to save cotto the embarrassment of Quitting AGAIN!!!!!!!
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto saved his own career by refusing to continue getting hit with plaster casts. Turned out to be a good decision, as he's resurrected his career while Margacheato is all but forgotten. Fight 2 turned into a boxing lesson, after which Cotto looked at Cheato like one looks at a dog turd one has inadvertently stepped on. History will not look kindly upon Tony.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Rock View Post

I am one of those guys that think, well not think but KNOW, Margarito beat Cotto fair & square. He made him kneel in surrender by beating the heck out of him
    And yes Margarito was set to repeat the process in the rematch despite only having one good eye. The doc waited till Margarito was coming on & beating his chest at Cotto & Cotto was slumped in his corner looking beaten to stop the fight. Even though he knew Margarito had only one good eye from round 2. That fight was stopped to save cotto the embarrassment of Quitting AGAIN!!!!!!!
    More excuses and crybaby shit. Did you ever do anything else? Cotto beat his ass. Man up to the truth. You won't get far in life making excuses for everything.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Greenbeanz you know I have alot of respect for your opinion on here but you're acting like Cotto is the first guy to have ever done this. Manny Pacquiao made Cotto drop weight under the 147 limit despite fighting at that limit before. Before that he made his name beating the corpse of the dehydrated Oscar De La Hoya. He also won a light-middleweight title at 150 so he could call himself an "8 division world champion" against a cheating fucker who should have been kicked out of the sport instead of making alot of money in another prize fight. Yet Pacquiao is hailed as one of the greatest things to happen to the sport. Cotto didn't invent it, but if it was acceptable for Pacquiao then why not maximise your bank account?
    Only idiots who love cheaters really respect Pacquiao. True fans of the sport remember all the times he bent the rules or outright broke them with his PED use. Complete boxing scum!!! Doesn't make it okay for Cotto to do it. In fact, it makes Cotto look bad and that's why we're seeing this mini backlash against him because he's pussying out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Pacquiao indeed was on PED's how come Ariza hasn't said so, even after Manny fired him and he went to work with Floyd?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    If Pacquiao indeed was on PED's how come Ariza hasn't said so, even after Manny fired him and he went to work with Floyd?

Ariza won't incriminate himself. Why would he?

Besides, Roach already revealed that he knows Manny was dirty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roach revealed Manny was dirty cmon man we both know that didn't happen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Plus it wouldn't damage Ariza's chances of working with his current client he hired Heredia for hecks sake!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Maravilla2012 View Post
    So I've seen many guys quit in the corner and shit but some are labeled as not having heart and others or not. One example is that Victor Ortiz quit against Maidana and against Lopez and was labeled as not having any heart and as being a quitter in the sport. Daniel Geale has twice told a ref that he didn't wanna continue. Against GGG and against Cotto and no one is saying anything about it. What makes one fighter a quiter and heartless and the other not ?
    Good post. I watched the cotto geale fight and soon as he said he didn't want to continue I shouted fucking coward at my TV. It's shocking to see any boxer quit under any circumstances IMO. Boxing is a hard sport when the going gets tough you can't just quit and if you do quit I think it's time to seriously find another sport.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Roach revealed Manny was dirty cmon man we both know that didn't happen
    He did actually @Truth. Indirectly, and possibly by accident (Roach isn't very smart). Here's the quote from the interview where he accidentally throws Manny (and himself) under the bus while trying to ruin Ariza:

"One of the reasons I don't work with him [Ariza] anymore is he's a little shady. He used to give Manny a drink before workouts, and I asked him what was in the drink and he would never tell me. I told him I need to know what was in the drinks because you're giving it to my fighter. If something goes wrong, I'm going to get the blame. So in my opinion, he's a little shady. So he's in that champ [Brandon Rios] now and it doesn't surprise me that [Rios testing positive for a banned substance] happened."

Ariza was Pac's strength and conditioning coach throughout Pac's meteoric 5 year rise from 130lbs to 154lbs super stardom...and he hasn't scored a KO since Ariza left. FACT!
    Last edited by ruthless rocco; 06-09-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bruce Seldon's performance against Tyson was disgraceful

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maravilla2012 View Post
    So I've seen many guys quit in the corner and shit but some are labeled as not having heart and others or not. One example is that Victor Ortiz quit against Maidana and against Lopez and was labeled as not having any heart and as being a quitter in the sport. Daniel Geale has twice told a ref that he didn't wanna continue. Against GGG and against Cotto and no one is saying anything about it. What makes one fighter a quiter and heartless and the other not ?
    Good post. I watched the cotto geale fight and soon as he said he didn't want to continue I shouted fucking coward at my TV. It's shocking to see any boxer quit under any circumstances IMO. Boxing is a hard sport when the going gets tough you can't just quit and if you do quit I think it's time to seriously find another sport.
    The part that shocks me about the way Geale quit is that both times he makes the count then says he doesn't wanna continue. If he wants out just don't make the count , save some face instead of outright saying he doesn't want anymore.
    “Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it.”
    - George Foreman

Thread Information