Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What should be said about Deontay Wilder now?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What should be said about Deontay Wilder now?

Was it really just a "bad day at the office" for Wilder? That's what some of the apologists would say.

Was it a case of getting your big pay day and having a little bit of fun and neglecting the training and hunger that got you the title in the first place? That is what some of the haters would say.

Was it a case of his opponent, Eric Molina, just being better than what was anticipated from him? That is what matchmakers would say as an excuse to give Wilder that match-up in the first place.

Was it a case of Wilder carrying Molina to give the fans some excitement? That is what the conspiracy mobsters of the fight game would say behind closed doors.

Was it a case of home-crowd nerves on Wilder's part? That's what people in Alabama would say who have not seen him fight, up close, at the elite level in the last 3 years or so when he left the local scene.

Was it a case of Wilder's right hand not healing up properly since the Stiverne fight? Could be, because he didn't throw much of it as we were used to seeing. In fact, his left hook did more damage outside of the finishing punch.

Was it a case of Eric Molina showing us a blueprint on how to break Wilder down and beat him? Could be, and this is what prospective opponents with more skill, chin and determination would say as their consolation to preparing to fight Wilder.

Is any of it something to worry about moving forward? Possibly not. But, then again, in my opinion, it really is. Especially if Wilder wants to win more and more at the elite level.

Not to take away from his opponent, Eric Molina, but Wilder may be suffering from at least three of these scenarios:

I feel he got his first bit of real money having beaten Stiverne, knew he was in with a supposedly soft opponent in Molina, did not train as hard as he should have, Molina came up for the fight, prepared well and had a real game plan that can work well for Wilder's opponents in the future- That is, stay away as much as you can from Wilder in the early rounds, hit him with hard body shots early to middle, and then wait for him to lose some steam on his legs and then take him up top when you can.

The only thing Molina did wrong in his loss to Wilder was that Molina did not commit hard enough to the body by at least round three, and Molina was getting afraid of being hit more than he was interested in giving back some punishment- which was not by a great margin his fear to courage factor, but enough to give Wilder a few chances he should not have had.

The beginning of a blueprint is out there: Run from Wilder for the first three rounds or so, hit the body early, and hard, and don't stop hitting the body even when you start to mix it up to the head. Wilder will lose steam, and he will be there for you to stop him.

I think Wilder's chin is better than what people expected of him. Give Wilder credit for that. But he will have the Tommy Hearns effect ala Sugar Ray Leonard in their first fight. I'm almost certain of it.

Povetkin is next for Wilder, if all things go smoothly in the fight game. Povetkin can learn from this fight, more than anyone can learn from Wilder's fight vs. Stiverne.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What should be said about Deontay Wilder now?

Wilder is supposed to be a massive puncher but Arreola stopped Molina in the first.

He struggled to control him.

Its more a case of this fight proved how poor Stiverne was.

Wilder will make for fun fights but hes not going to be a title holder for long. Oddly enough I still think he beats Povetkin with his height.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Opinions of Deontay should be almost the same as on Friday. Sports fans tend to only look at what they last saw. That's silly. All evidence should be considered.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Wilder is supposed to be a massive puncher but Arreola stopped Molina in the first.

Wilder will make for fun fights but hes not going to be a title holder for long. Oddly enough I still think he beats Povetkin with his height.
    That's the Chris Arreola who was stopped by Stiverne, the Stiverne who was clearly outpointed by Wilder. Right ?

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder looked poor I was not impressed with this performance, he does bring a bit of excitement
    to the HW division, maybe a off night I NO if he gets in the ring with Povetkin he better shape
    up, or his rein as Champion will be short lived.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder probably took his opponent lightly and against serious competition he will raise his game particularly if it is Povetkin or Wlad.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

How did Arreola bomb Molina out? With furious combinations that Arreola is famous for. No one closes you out when he has you hurt quite like Arreola, now admit it. Sure, he may not have bone crushing power, but Arreola does not take his foot off of the gas WHEN IN SHAPE in terms of "closing out" a strong opponent.

Wilder is a one time smash guy. A true heavyweight with heavyweight power. But as we saw, as his opponents get tougher willed and more strong chins, Wilder's one punch gimmick can be weathered.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Credit where credit is due. I think Wilder fought an excellent fight against Stiverne. People can dump on Stiverne all they want, but fact remains he's still a very dangerous fighter on any given night. Unfortunately, I also think Wilder somehow regressed against Molina. Not to take anything away from Molina, but Wilder looked amateurish at times. One of the things he does way too often is hold his hands low and back away from punches a la Ali. Wilder is not Ali, and he should stop acting like him. Ali could get away with a lot of things that Wilder will not be able to get away with. I used to think Wilder had a great probability to beat Wlad. I've changed my mind. In fact, if Wilder fights Povetkin the same way he fought Molina.... he might be in for a rude awakening.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Opinions of Deontay should be almost the same as on Friday. Sports fans tend to only look at what they last saw. That's silly. All evidence should be considered.
    OH, those myopic 'sports fans' again....looking at what they ~last~ saw....except that, what they "last" saw was the fight itself.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that wilder was just trying to go for the KO quickly and when that didn't happen, he had to change his gamelan. Wilder is the same as I thought before. He is an inexperienced fighter who has some good tools and is just fortunate to be in a terrible division.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably what some have said before last night. His chin is questionable, he is stiff with overrated predictable bow & arrow delivery and power and wasted too much time padding his record with blow outs where he learned zero. I really do think he is full of false confidence. Now is at the top where every flaw is magnified and his margin for error very narrow as he cannot go lower than a Molina who had him looking wreckless and amateurish. This was his homecoming "showcase" gimme and its only going to get much much tougher. What stood out to me was how bad his defense is on the backfoot...he is straight line and literally paws. His head does not move..the shoulders do a bit and he can bend at the waist..but that head and neck remain in basically one unblinking position. Molina had no business landing as many right hands as he did and taking ground. I don't think he beats Povetkin.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Probably what some have said before last night. His chin is questionable, he is stiff with overrated predictable bow & arrow delivery and power and wasted too much time padding his record with blow outs where he learned zero. I really do think he is full of false confidence. Now is at the top where every flaw is magnified and his margin for error very narrow as he cannot go lower than a Molina who had him looking wreckless and amateurish. This was his homecoming "showcase" gimme and its only going to get much much tougher. What stood out to me was how bad his defense is on the backfoot...he is straight line and literally paws. His head does not move..the shoulders do a bit and he can bend at the waist..but that head and neck remain in basically one unblinking position. Molina had no business landing as many right hands as he did and taking ground. I don't think he beats Povetkin.
    Pretty much agree with most of this. The worst part about his defense backing up is he just leaves his chin out to dry. He's an idiot if he thinks that'll continue to go unpunished.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Was it really just a "bad day at the office" for Wilder? That's what some of the apologists would say.

Was it a case of getting your big pay day and having a little bit of fun and neglecting the training and hunger that got you the title in the first place? That is what some of the haters would say.

Was it a case of his opponent, Eric Molina, just being better than what was anticipated from him? That is what matchmakers would say as an excuse to give Wilder that match-up in the first place.

Was it a case of Wilder carrying Molina to give the fans some excitement? That is what the conspiracy mobsters of the fight game would say behind closed doors.

Was it a case of home-crowd nerves on Wilder's part? That's what people in Alabama would say who have not seen him fight, up close, at the elite level in the last 3 years or so when he left the local scene.

Was it a case of Wilder's right hand not healing up properly since the Stiverne fight? Could be, because he didn't throw much of it as we were used to seeing. In fact, his left hook did more damage outside of the finishing punch.

Was it a case of Eric Molina showing us a blueprint on how to break Wilder down and beat him? Could be, and this is what prospective opponents with more skill, chin and determination would say as their consolation to preparing to fight Wilder.

Is any of it something to worry about moving forward? Possibly not. But, then again, in my opinion, it really is. Especially if Wilder wants to win more and more at the elite level.

Not to take away from his opponent, Eric Molina, but Wilder may be suffering from at least three of these scenarios:

I feel he got his first bit of real money having beaten Stiverne, knew he was in with a supposedly soft opponent in Molina, did not train as hard as he should have, Molina came up for the fight, prepared well and had a real game plan that can work well for Wilder's opponents in the future- That is, stay away as much as you can from Wilder in the early rounds, hit him with hard body shots early to middle, and then wait for him to lose some steam on his legs and then take him up top when you can.

The only thing Molina did wrong in his loss to Wilder was that Molina did not commit hard enough to the body by at least round three, and Molina was getting afraid of being hit more than he was interested in giving back some punishment- which was not by a great margin his fear to courage factor, but enough to give Wilder a few chances he should not have had.

The beginning of a blueprint is out there: Run from Wilder for the first three rounds or so, hit the body early, and hard, and don't stop hitting the body even when you start to mix it up to the head. Wilder will lose steam, and he will be there for you to stop him.

I think Wilder's chin is better than what people expected of him. Give Wilder credit for that. But he will have the Tommy Hearns effect ala Sugar Ray Leonard in their first fight. I'm almost certain of it.

Povetkin is next for Wilder, if all things go smoothly in the fight game. Povetkin can learn from this fight, more than anyone can learn from Wilder's fight vs. Stiverne.
    Yh I aint reading any of that at all.

Wilder proved a himself a joke, if that left hook that caught him in the third was from someone like Tommy Morrison, Wilder would be flat out.

Joshua, Fury, Price, Haye and even Dillian Whyte could beat him by landing a shot, based on his performance against Molina.

And that is just in England.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder is inexperienced because the vast majority of his fights have ended early and the opposition was poor.
    He will have to learn fast if he doesn't want to be carried out feet first.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he is still alive and saw that last night, lngemar Johansson has to be thinking comeback.

Thread Information