Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: American confederate flag

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: American confederate flag

It's not just CNN, it's everywhere....and guess what's next?

GUN CONTROL!!!

For fucks sake....the media are just ratings addicts and they want to play to the folks who know about HALF of a thing, not the entirety of a thing, but just sort of grasp half an idea, but are willing to buy into it 100% and defend their stance to the death! Prove them absolutely 100% wrong, and they'll double down on their view even harder!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    It is back in the spotlight. Many southern states still fly and or use the confederate flag in their own state flags. Now action is being taken to prevent southern states from displaying said flag. Democratically, I say if the state populations don't want it displayed it should be up to them. Imo I don't look at the confederate flag as a racist flag. I understand it certainly has those implications within it but what I'm trying to say is I look at the confederate flag as a part of American history. I always agreed with Lincoln's statement that slavery will be a stain on the American flag. It was, to me, almost unbelievable that under a constitution humans were considered property.

I still think the confederate flag is a distinct part of American history. I personally think it should remain. More than 500,000 Americans died on the battlefield many of those young men on the Southern side were not fighting for the right to keep slaves but fighting what they thought was a tyrannical government overriding states rights. Now Amazon is no longer selling items displaying the confederate flag and a large American based flag manufacturer is no longer making the confederate flag. I know this forum has more Europeans than Americans but does anyone have an opinion on this flag inflammation. Oddly, in 1992 Bill Clinton sported a confederate flag on one of his campaign buttons and Mr. Clinton signed a little order honoring the confederate flag during his time as governor.
    The confederate flag is equal to the swasticka

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dropanuke View Post
    It is back in the spotlight. Many southern states still fly and or use the confederate flag in their own state flags. Now action is being taken to prevent southern states from displaying said flag. Democratically, I say if the state populations don't want it displayed it should be up to them. Imo I don't look at the confederate flag as a racist flag. I understand it certainly has those implications within it but what I'm trying to say is I look at the confederate flag as a part of American history. I always agreed with Lincoln's statement that slavery will be a stain on the American flag. It was, to me, almost unbelievable that under a constitution humans were considered property.

I still think the confederate flag is a distinct part of American history. I personally think it should remain. More than 500,000 Americans died on the battlefield many of those young men on the Southern side were not fighting for the right to keep slaves but fighting what they thought was a tyrannical government overriding states rights. Now Amazon is no longer selling items displaying the confederate flag and a large American based flag manufacturer is no longer making the confederate flag. I know this forum has more Europeans than Americans but does anyone have an opinion on this flag inflammation. Oddly, in 1992 Bill Clinton sported a confederate flag on one of his campaign buttons and Mr. Clinton signed a little order honoring the confederate flag during his time as governor.

.....I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that but you feel free to state your case

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropanuke View Post

.....I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that but you feel free to state your case
    Yes, please elaborate.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was the actual Confederate flag used through the second half of the Confederacy. All that white is there for a reason. It was known as the white man's flag. Here's what the guy who designed it had to say :

As a people, we are fighting to maintain the heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause." And then in a later editorial, he cheered the design as one that will "be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN's FLAG..........As a national emblem it is significant of our higher cause [,] the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity and barbarism.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0to%22&f=false

Here's what the vice-president of the Confederacy on what it was all about :

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea [to that of the United States Constitution]; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

http://web.archive.org/web/201308221...rstone-speech/

Here's what one Confederate state had to say about why they seceeded :

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Mississippi Secession

Here's South Carolina:

The General Government, as the common agent, passed laws to carry into effect these stipulations of the States. For many years these laws were executed. But an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery, has led to a disregard of their obligations, and the laws of the General Government have ceased to effect the objects of the Constitution. The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, have enacted laws which either nullify the Acts of Congress or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these States the fugitive is discharged from service or labor claimed, and in none of them has the State Government complied with the stipulation made in the Constitution. The State of New Jersey, at an early day, passed a law in conformity with her constitutional obligation; but the current of anti-slavery feeling has led her more recently to enact laws which render inoperative the remedies provided by her own law and by the laws of Congress. In the State of New York even the right of transit for a slave has been denied by her tribunals; and the States of Ohio and Iowa have refused to surrender to justice fugitives charged with murder, and with inciting servile insurrection in the State of Virginia. Thus the constituted compact has been deliberately broken and disregarded by the non-slaveholding States, and the consequence follows that South Carolina is released from her obligation.

Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

This “Confederately correct” orthodoxy that the South fought for independence, not slavery, rankled a few southern realists, including the editors of the Richmond-based Southern Punch in 1864: ” ‘The people of the South,’ says a contemporary, ‘are not fighting for slavery but for independence.’ Let us look into this matter. It is an easy task, we think, to show up this new-fangled heresy — a heresy calculated to do us no good, for it cannot deceive foreign statesmen nor peoples, nor mislead any one here nor in Yankeeland. . . Our doctrine is this: WE ARE FIGHTING FOR INDEPENDENCE THAT OUR GREAT AND NECESSARY DOMESTIC INSTITUTION OF SLAVERY SHALL BE PRESERVED, and for the preservation of other institutions of which slavery is the groundwork.”
    After the war, a few ex-Confederates expressed similar disgust with the insistence that defense of slavery had not been the cause of the war. Confederate veteran Ed Baxter unashamedly told a reunion in 1889: “In a word, the South determined to fight for her property right in slaves; and in order to do so, it was necessary for her resist the change which the Abolitionists proposed to make under the Constitution of the United States as construed by them. . . Upon this issue the South went to war, I repeat that the people of the South had the right to fight for their property”. . . . Famed Confederate partisan leader Colonel John S. Mosby was equally forthright. “I’ve always understood that we went to war on account of the thing we quarreled with the North about,” he wrote a former comrade in 1894. “I’ve never heard of any other cause than slavery.”
    Mosby, [South Carolina politician Robert Barnwell] Rhett, [Confederate President] Davis, [Vice President Alexander] Stephens, and other Confederates had no difficulty conceding what their descendants go to enormous lengths to deny: that the raison d’être of the Confederacy was the defense of slavery. It follows that, as the paramount symbol of the Confederate nation and as the flag of the armies that kept the nation alive, the St. Andrew’s cross is inherently associated with slavery. This conclusion is valid whether or not secession was constitutional. It is valid whether or not most southern soldiers consciously fought to preserve slavery. It is valid even though racism and segregation prevailed among nineteenth-century white northerners.

How people convince themselves that the Confederate flag represents freedom, not slavery - The Washington Post

And Confederate states actually opposed states' rights, that is the right of northern states not to oppose slavery.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, once again you twisted it at the end with the state's right thing. Robert e Lee stuck with the Confederation as his state went so. Those soldiers were more loyal to the states and opposed a powerful central government thus wanting to form a confederate. We now what the flag meant during the war but the right guys won, imo and I look at the flag today as part of America's history, for better or worse. I see it as a tribute to all the young soldiers who died in the field, the ones who didn't write those words you quoted but rather were sent into battle by those guys. Slavery was an issue in the civil war, but most of the young guys, many teenagers who died on the field of battle were fighting for a belief that encompassed much more than the own slaves, they couldn't afford slaves anyway. The seeds of the civil war were planted long before Lincoln took office. Can I have a graph please brother.

El Kabong Guest

Once again Kirkland you proudly show your profound ignorance.

THAT is the Confederate flag

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

El Kabong Guest

Thanks for supporting my case Kirkland, how nice of you

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, once again you twisted it at the end with the state's right thing. Robert e Lee stuck with the Confederation as his state went so. Those soldiers were more loyal to the states and opposed a powerful central government thus wanting to form a confederate. We now what the flag meant during the war but the right guys won, imo and I look at the flag today as part of America's history, for better or worse. I see it as a tribute to all the young soldiers who died in the field, the ones who didn't write those words you quoted but rather were sent into battle by those guys. Slavery was an issue in the civil war, but most of the young guys, many teenagers who died on the field of battle were fighting for a belief that encompassed much more than the own slaves, they couldn't afford slaves anyway. The seeds of the civil war were planted long before Lincoln took office. Can I have a graph please brother.

I'm just quoting you what the actual leaders of the Confederacy had to say about why they started the war at the actual time. They all seem to think it was about slavery so I'm going to go with the guys who were there.

As for whether Confederate soldiers had any material interest in slavery. Slavery was the engine that powered the southern economy. It's like mining in Kentucky or businesses around a huge US military base. If the mine or the base closes then all the people that worked there lose their jobs and all the people who worked for the businesses where they spent their money go out of business too. So they were all fighting for their livelihoods and when they lost the south became impoverished for generations.

As those people passed through the trade, representing something close to half a billion dollars in property, they spread wealth wherever they went. Much of the capital that funded the traders' speculations had been borrowed from banks and had to be repaid with interest, and all of it had to be moved through commission-taking factorage houses and bills of exchange back and forth between the eastern seaboard and the emerging Southwest.
    And the slaves in whose bodies that money congealed as it moved south had to be transported, housed, clothed, fed, and cared for during the one to three months it took to sell them. Some of them were insured in transit, some few others covered by life insurance. Their sales had to be notarized and their sellers taxed. Those hundreds of thousands of people were revenue to the cities and states where they were sold, and profits in the pockets of landlords, provisioners, physicians, and insurance agents long before they were sold. The most recent estimate of the size of this ancillary economy is 13.5 percent of the price per person-tens of millions of dollars over the course of the antebellum period.

The south still hasn't recovered economically from losing its slaves.

El Kabong Guest

I see that Amazon.com has banned the Confederate flag....good for them, I don't need to see that symbol of hate while I'm buying my Che Guavera t-shirt, Mao bust, and copy of Mein Kampf!

El Kabong Guest

January 1, 1863 the Emancipation freed 100% of the slaves in Confederate states, in 1864 Confederate states themselves were abandoning slavery.....in 1865 the Union banned slavery.

But the "Civil" War was about slavery you say? It certainly wasn't because that 75% of the United States' taxes came from the Southern states.......certainly wasn't about THAT. I mean people NEVER fight over taxes........(Revolution, Whiskey Rebellion, Maryland Bond protest 1843, California Foreign miners tax resistance of 1850, John McErny's shadow government 1872-1879, San Elizaro Salt War, "Half-Breeds" in the Dakota's 1889...amongst many others)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd love to see a flag that doesn't carry with it some unfortunate past. It's a symbol, and like George Carlin said, "I leave symbols for the symbol-minded."

It's amazing that after this massacre, THIS is what people are upset about. It's a symbol, like a word. It has absolutely no meaning other than what you want it to mean. It's the ideas and views they should be worried about. Some people are racist, they don't like people of other races and they treat other races like crap - how is banning the confederate flag or the N-word going to change that? They're still going to feel the same way.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see that Amazon.com has banned the Confederate flag....good for them, I don't need to see that symbol of hate while I'm buying my Che Guavera t-shirt, Mao bust, and copy of Mein Kampf!

Hmmm that's a pretty good point!

Che Guevera... what a shit head he was!
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Hmmm that's a pretty good point!

Che Guevera... what a shit head he was!
    You can also buy swastika t-shirts, Stalin statuettes, books on eugenics, various serial killer knick knacks, and so on.....but THANK GOD that evil flag is gone

Thread Information