Thread: Refereeing and judging in the UK has become the worst in the world

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Refereeing and judging in the UK has become the worst in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Yeah but........ Defend yourself at all times.
    Yea you should expect to be punched in the floor while the referee is counting.
    It bloody hurts to be punched in the floor. You can't even get a cup or protector for that.
    That's what I get for typing on my phone.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ian John Lewis made that bad stoppage in the Maccarinelli v McKenzie bout too. He's got previous in this case. I don't think that we can tar all the referees with the same brush. I honestly don't believe we're as bad as Germany, and the US isn't fantastic.

Referees have a tough job across the world, and while I can understand guys being annoyed when they get stopped, do we want referees that let the beating go on too long?

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    Ian John Lewis made that bad stoppage in the Maccarinelli v McKenzie bout too. He's got previous in this case. I don't think that we can tar all the referees with the same brush. I honestly don't believe we're as bad as Germany, and the US isn't fantastic.

Referees have a tough job across the world, and while I can understand guys being annoyed when they get stopped, do we want referees that let the beating go on too long?
    Not just that fight. He has made numerous awful decisions between that fight and last night too.

Not only does he make terrible calls when it is a matter of judgement he also doesn't seem to fully understand the rules when it isn't.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I was thinking about starting a thread like this actually, but I didn't want to stir up anything since I'm Canadian and our only claim is being polite and irrelevant. For real though, that was a horrendous showing and Ian john Lewis is either completely paid off or completely incompetent. Thank god most of the high level fighters don't have to go the U, would be a real shame if there were more legit fights with that kind of bullshit officiating.
    It wouldn't seem bias if you did. Marlon B. Wright aside, I can't think of Candian officiating that has pissed me off. Week in, week out we're seeing this kind of crap over here and it is out of order. Boxing is corrupt enough, we should rise above it and set and example but we're falling further and further down the rabbit hole. I want to see big time boxing in this country and right now, the sport is booming over here so it would help if we could stop putting off foreign fighters and actually employ referees to do their job properly.

It isn't just that it's unfair to their guys, it puts an * above the victory for our guys. The other week, Lee Selby was on his way to making a statement with that win over Gradovich, but the bullshit cut stoppage has give him a viable excuse for a rematch. Gradovich was losing that fight and the way Lee was going he was going to stop him so why end it for a small cut?

Same last night with Rocky. He'd have likely won the fight well, but that was not a legitimate victory in which to judge his skills on because of the horrible refereeing, and good on Paul Smith for saying it on TV, because Johnny Nelson was all for ignoring it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post

Howard Foster & Terry O'Connor are terrible too. O'Connor stopped Manfredo against Calzaghe, yet attempted to give Khan the longest 10 count ever against Prescott when he was clearly in no position to continue. Foster in the Froch-Groves fight but I've seen from him.

I miss Mickey Vann. He at least knew what he was doing.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In terms of our better refs, I think Richie Davies is pretty good, Mickey Vann had good judgement, and Howard Foster is alright. I'm sure there'll be examples of when they seemed to get it wrong, but we can't get it right every time, as stoppages will often not be clear cut.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Early stoppages are becoming a bit of an often occurrence in the UK now. Ruining a lot of fights. Last night was the same although Vera would have probably have been stopped anyway.

I think the problem last night was that if Lewis stepped in and made the correct call and took a point from Rocky, it could have actually lead to Vera looking for a way out of the fight like Dirrell did against Abraham. And that might have caused a problem in Liverpool. 😂

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bit harsh to tar the entire UK because IJL does his usual incompetent job. On the whole Brit refs are a bit quick to stop fights. I think that's a fair criticism.

America is the worst in the world because of Laurence Cole.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The other week, Lee Selby was on his way to making a statement with that win over Gradovich, but the bullshit cut stoppage has give him a viable excuse for a rematch. Gradovich was losing that fight and the way Lee was going he was going to stop him so why end it for a small cut?
    The ref in that fight was from South Africa appointed by the IBF.

Was he, and the IBF, in on Garcia's pathetc conspiracy too?
    Last edited by Fenster; 06-27-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea you should expect to be punched on the floor while the referee is counting.
    He wasn't actually on the floor, it was during the count tho
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

Go to 6:40. Vera's knee is on the floor when Rocky hits him.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go to 6:40. Vera's knee is on the floor when Rocky hits him.
    Yep I'll give you that

It was the punch after that that did the damage it seemed tho it seemed, that one was at the count of 3

Reckon the result should stand?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was all legit according to the retarded commentators .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep I'll give you that

It was the punch after that that did the damage it seemed tho it seemed, that one was at the count of 3

Reckon the result should stand?
    No. It should be a no contest IMO. BBBofC should do the right thing. We shouldn't be encouraging corruption.

Vera was punched on the floor, stood up to protest the illegal blow and was heavily knocked down for his troubles. That punch led to the stoppage and was the reason he was in no position to continue.
    Last edited by bzkfn; 06-28-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vera was never going to win that fight, but if you take the sequence just in itself it was appalling. The punch that brought Vera down was almost a cuff/pull, and Fielding quite clearly cranked him on the ground, and without even getting a count Vera is hammered as soon as he got to his feet. That's the kind of thing you see in fights that are 100 years old ffs, I'll bet there are top fighters people on this forum could beat if Ian John Lewis were the referee!

Thread Information