Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Larry Holmes: "Earnie Shavers hit me hardest"

Larry Holmes was perhaps the third greatest heavyweight champion of all time. he said on several occasions that earnie shavers hit at least twice as hard as Mike Tyson. Holmes was knocked out Mike Tyson in 1988.
    Shavers Floored holmes who said "it was like those old time flashbulb cameras from the 19 twenties...it was like pop!!! combined with a blinding white flash and the next thing he knew the referee was saying 5 and then 6.
    Tyson had very sharp power which was mostly the product of hand speed and not necessarily brute force or power. Larry Holmes knows a thing or two about the sport of boxing whether you like him or not and whether you think he is a whiner or a complainer or not. It does not take away his 20 consecutive title defenses which is second only to the great Joe Louis. if Larry Holmes says Earnie shavers punches twice as hard as Mike Tyson then I will take his word for it
    Last edited by brocktonblockbust; 07-13-2015 at 05:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Larry Holmes: "Earnie Shavers hit me hardest"

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Larry Holmes was perhaps the third greatest heavyweight champion of all time. he said on several occasions that earnie shavers hit at least twice as hard as Mike Tyson. Holmes was knocked out Mike Tyson in 1988.
    Shavers Floored holmes who said "it was like those old time flashbulb cameras from the 19 twenties...it was like pop!!! combined with a blinding white flash and the next thing he knew the referee was saying 5 and then 6.
    Tyson had very sharp power which was mostly the product of hand speed and not necessarily brute force or power. Larry Holmes knows a thing or two about the sport of boxing whether you like him or not and whether you think he is a whiner or a complainer or not. It does not take away his 20 consecutive title defenses which is second only to the great Joe Louis. if Larry Holmes says Earnie shavers punches twice as hard as Mike Tyson then I will take his word for it
    earnie punches like foreman, tysons punches are more effective due to their speed n accuracy combined with substantial power and skill, but less powerful overall

Tyson had to connect many times with many punches to put holmes out Shavers only needed 1 to put him out even if it was only for a second

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=OMGWTF;1338510]

My old buddy Randall Tex Cobb said that Earnie Shavers was the only man to really hurt him in a fight. He said every punch Earnie hit him with shook him from head to toe. They became good friends out of mutual respect for each other
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of times boxers lord fighters they have beaten because it makes them look better.
    I doubt very much Shavers hit twice as hard as Tyson.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Punchers Inc.

Earnie Shavers, George Foreman and Mike Tyson.

All '3' had different punching techniques.

Not to forget, Earnie was only 6' 1" and 205 lbs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When old timers make comments like this, I wonder if it has more to do with marginalizing the newer generation of fighters (Tyson) than it does giving credit to his own generation (Shavers).

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TeX Cobb: "EARNIE SHAVERS PUNCHES SO HARD HE COULD TURN GOAT PISS TO GASOLINE."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    A lot of times boxers lord fighters they have beaten because it makes them look better.
    I doubt very much Shavers hit twice as hard as Tyson.
    Exactly this. Big up the guys you beat and belittle the guys who beat you. It's just typical egotistical macho bullshit.

Mike Tyson flattened Holmes with a HUGE right hand and was the only guy who ever knocked him out. At his peak, when he still had that incredible speed as well as the natural power, Tyson's punching power was like nothing else I've seen and I don't think even Holmes at his very best would have had a prayer of standing up to it. Not only was prime Tyson incredibly powerful and accurate, his ability to finish a hurt fighter is probably second to none amongst the great heavyweights.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TeX Cobb: "EARNIE SHAVERS PUNCHES SO HARD HE COULD TURN GOAT PISS TO GASOLINE."
    Well hell, now I'm convinced whether anyone else is or not!

Thread Information