Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Assisted Suicide

Saw this story last night and straight way thought it was a bit bonkers that you'd want to do yourself in 'just in case' so to speak.

Gill Pharaoh's decision to attend suicide clinic defended - BBC News

If someone is terminally ill, in pain, no hope of getting better then yeah, I get that and can understand it. But this women with no apparent illness swanned off to Switzerland and ended her life. She was 75 and simply didn't want to grow any older.

I wonder what the criteria is for this Life Circle place to help you shuffle off into the next life? At what age can you decide you've just had enough?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Assisted Suicide

I am against this. It represents the continuation of a heartless philosophy that is sweeping through the West. Basically, if you have no money to pay for your health care or look after yourself in old age we will let you die for reasons of 'humanity'. In other words for reasons of economic efficiency. A sick person who knows that they cannot afford proper care and that their family is worked to the bone and unable to do much and so 'Hey, the best option is to not be a burden and just die'. That way you don't need taxpayer money and you don't waste the valuable time of your offspring.

It is wrong because it shows a further disrespect and a shirking of responsibility for what the state is doing to society. There is no reason why old people should feel so shamed that they think suicide is the only way out. In those vulnerable years the aged and sick should be entitled to enjoy the limited time they have and for society to support it and instead culling like cows is deemed the way forwards. It is wrong like every other heartless idea for dealing with the poor whilst simultaneously ignoring the many crimes of the rich. You are old and rich, here is some free money. You are old and poor, here's a needle, see ya.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is a big debate here in the US as well. If someone is in a lot of pain and has a poor diagnosis let them od they say. What if someone is suffering from severe depression or schizophrenia and is not responding to treatment, should they be given the same option. No they say, they are crazy. So Who decides who can and can't go. What if you just feel your life is Shit. Why not just hang it up. Should we force others to stay here when they don't want to.

My view is human life is precious and a gift right up till the end. There are plenty of options to make People comfortable in their suffering right up to the end. It does become heart wrenching when someone you love is suffering.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But take depression for instance. Doctors just want to prescribe a pill and in the case of depression the medications are often no more effective than a placebo and can bring on feelings of suicide. How can a person with depression really think straight when the supposed positive effects of the medicine aren't even real and that the drug can make you feel even more hopeless? 'So, let's just end your life' says the doctor after seeing the bank statement. When doctors are so short term that a pill answers everything then why would you let it involve suicide too? These often aren't people who genuinely care.

What we fail to do is address why people might be depressed. What is it about society today that means more people are taking pills every year, that they are working longer hours, struggling more, unable to even prepare for old age. It is a cop out for society to say, 'Life is just too hard, kill 'em'. But you never took the time to address why the homeless man was so down, or why the old lady felt so helpless. I just don't think assisted suicide is acceptable when we have made no attempts to address the serious flaws in the system.

People would be less likely to commit suicide if they didn't feel so desperately helpless. A careless society creates people who feel useless and will take that way out. It isn't a solution to anything. It is societies creep method of saying 'let's make it acceptable to weed out poor vulnerable people' and that is very dodgy.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

100% for assisted suicide.

If you don't have the right to end your life, what fucking rights do you really have?

My friend's grandmother died recently from pancreatic cancer. She wasted away until there was barely anything left for several weeks, then mercifully passed on. She couldn't eat, she was in constant pain, and it was degrading. And that's the "right" way to go according to these bible-thumping cocksuckers. When someone is taken off life support, they leave the body to starve to death horribly because that's the "humane" thing to do. Fuck that. I want to know that if I get sick and am just waiting to die, I can go out with dignity, and not waste away on some fucking bed until my body gives out and my bowels evacuate in front of my loved ones.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    But take depression for instance. Doctors just want to prescribe a pill and in the case of depression the medications are often no more effective than a placebo and can bring on feelings of suicide. How can a person with depression really think straight when the supposed positive effects of the medicine aren't even real and that the drug can make you feel even more hopeless? 'So, let's just end your life' says the doctor after seeing the bank statement. When doctors are so short term that a pill answers everything then why would you let it involve suicide too? These often aren't people who genuinely care.

What we fail to do is address why people might be depressed. What is it about society today that means more people are taking pills every year, that they are working longer hours, struggling more, unable to even prepare for old age. It is a cop out for society to say, 'Life is just too hard, kill 'em'. But you never took the time to address why the homeless man was so down, or why the old lady felt so helpless. I just don't think assisted suicide is acceptable when we have made no attempts to address the serious flaws in the system.

People would be less likely to commit suicide if they didn't feel so desperately helpless. A careless society creates people who feel useless and will take that way out. It isn't a solution to anything. It is societies creep method of saying 'let's make it acceptable to weed out poor vulnerable people' and that is very dodgy.
    Yes, but I'm looking at suicide and legal suicide or state approved suicide as two different things. Sometimes depression is organic, sometimes it is situational most of the time it is both. Acts of suicide generally come about when one loses hope and has list the ability to see a bigger picture. Often these states of minds pass but acting in the moment in a time of such distress is what kills.

I know here People who seek help the underlying cause of the depression is looked at but often medication is at the beginning of that journey as you need to bring People out of the depressed state so they can see a bigger picture. And your right, ssri and other anti depressants are not always effective but many people do report responding well to them. If the depression is improper balance of brain chemicals there is a good chance an anti depressant will help

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me, certainly when looking at a country like the UK, I think it is a very dangerous road to go down. I understand and agree that someone suffering terribly with an incurable cancer has the right to die. I totally get that. What I worry about is the thinking of politicians who only bring in policies as a stealth move to do something else later. First it is okay to kill these people, then you say but what about disabled people too, then people with mental illness, then poor people and it is a slippery slope. Society is bad enough that they are hurting disabled people financially and making more poor people and I think being able to potentially kill people 10 years later isn't a good path to be taking. Like gay marriage, it simply shouldn't be high up on a list of priorities. The problem is government, tax havens, war, and banks. Sort that out and society can be healthier and richer and then debate should settle other secondary issues like this.

Thread Information