Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why couldn't Marciano beat Holyfield/Tua/Tyson/Foreman/Lewis/Holmes?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why couldn't Marciano beat Holyfield/Tua/Tyson/Foreman/Lewis/Holmes?

Size?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why couldn't Marciano beat Holyfield/Tua/Tyson/Foreman/Lewis/Holmes?

Because he would have been too old to fight them

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why couldn't Marciano beat Holyfield/Tua/Tyson/Foreman/Lewis/Holmes?

He was dead when these fighters where active.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Too small. If Rocky was fighting in the 90s, he probably would have been at 175, maybe even 168. Would anyone here pick Kovalev to beat Klitschko? Different era. Yesterdays HW's are the LHWs/SMWs of today.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Too small. If Rocky was fighting in the 90s, he probably would have been at 175, maybe even 168. Would anyone here pick Kovalev to beat Klitschko? Different era. Yesterdays HW's are the LHWs/SMWs of today.
    You said it all, Tyson and Tua were close to his height but Tyson fought at 40 lbs heavier and Tua fought at 60 lbs heavier, is there any doubt they both had a bigger punch.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yup, he weighed 190 pounds in the ring. Take anyone else that size, and I wouldn't give them a prayer against those guys either. Marciano vs Evander Holyfield at Cruiser would have been a hell of a fight, I just don't see how he could have lived with Evan Fields at HW though.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky Marciano

Would have competed at Cruiserweight.

How about matching up all the Cruiserweight Champions with Rocky, and throw in
    * Floyd Patterson
    * Jerry Quarry
    * Jimmy Ellis
    * Bob Foster
    * Michael Spinks
    * Ingemar Johansson

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Yup, he weighed 190 pounds in the ring. Take anyone else that size, and I wouldn't give them a prayer against those guys either. Marciano vs Evander Holyfield at Cruiser would have been a hell of a fight, I just don't see how he could have lived with Evan Fields at HW though.
    For sure. When Marciano weighed in at 183-188, he came into the ring at 183-188. There was no cutting weight for Rocky.

To put it into perspective, when Kovalev and Pascal fought at 175, Kovalev came into the ring at 189 and Pascal at 185.

When Badou Jack fought Sierra at LHW, Jack came in at 183 while Sierra came in at 200.

When Lucian Bute fought Edison Miranda at 168, Bute came into the ring at 182 and Miranda at 185.

Cruiserweights come to the ring at 215 or more so even then Rocky would be severely outsized. I mean I can't even imagine him in with a 6'3'', 78" reach David Haye.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bump.

I've always contended he would have fought at CW today, but this post adds a different perspective. If he walks around in the 180s, I definitely could see him cutting weight to 175, come in the ring 183-188.
    Opens a whole new way of comparing Rocky with today's fighters.

WOW! Rocky @ 175 vs Roy Jones Jr., Antonio Tarver. No way would he try to cut down to 168. I think NSBTBell stated he was caught a few times sneaking snacks. Guilty of bananas under the pillow I think? LOL!

Dream Fight Marciano vs Billy Conn!
    I think he beats every single LHW today be it Bivol, Beterbiev, Pascal, Kov, Jack, Smith.
    Way much better at leveraging shots, generating maximum power. But his stamina would be credited for his KOS over his power.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Bump.

I've always contended he would have fought at CW today, but this post adds a different perspective. If he walks around in the 180s, I definitely could see him cutting weight to 175, come in the ring 183-188.
    Opens a whole new way of comparing Rocky with today's fighters.

WOW! Rocky @ 175 vs Roy Jones Jr., Antonio Tarver. No way would he try to cut down to 168. I think NSBTBell stated he was caught a few times sneaking snacks. Guilty of bananas under the pillow I think? LOL!

Dream Fight Marciano vs Billy Conn!
    I think he beats every single LHW today be it Bivol, Beterbiev, Pascal, Kov, Jack, Smith.
    Way much better at leveraging shots, generating maximum power. But his stamina would be credited for his KOS over his power.
    Michael the jinx Spinx would beat Rocky.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could Rocky match the intensity of Tua vs The President?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes he could throw 1000 punches and that's intensity

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

marciano was a big strong man. he threw a lot of punches and he knew how to throw punches. that beats lots of guys.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but did Rocky ever fight anyone under 40 for a world title?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but did Rocky ever fight anyone under 40 for a world title?
    If you mean defending his title then yes, all were under 40 from Walcott to Moore. Some were under 30 years of age.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information