Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who had the fastest hands Prime for Prime

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prime for Prime who was faster?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prime for Prime who was faster?

In the category, I tend to rule out the flurry guys. The tip tap punches and the 3 or 4 extra punches from half angles look impressive but they're not really designed to hit something and if they land, are just meant to confuse an opponent. So for a fighter like manny, i'm impressed by how fast he closes the distance, but the half extended flurry punches lose their practicality on form. Half of them aren't even turned over.

I've rarely seen someone be super fast and accurate at the same time.
    Attached Images
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones had one and done short circuit reflex speed. Camacho, Taylor and Hopson painted you blurry. Tapia had a bit of both, Marc Johnson as well.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    In the category, I tend to rule out the flurry guys. The tip tap punches and the 3 or 4 extra punches from half angles look impressive but they're not really designed to hit something and if they land, are just meant to confuse an opponent.

Excellent observation and important distinction. Something that sways the casual observer, but not the discerning, knowledgeable fan. I rule those out also, which leaves some well known fighters off the list.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm shocked that nobody is talking about sugar Ray Leonard. I picked him although it was very close between him and Jones. I remember the first time I watched him fight hearns and his flurries at the end were like lightning. And they weren't pitty Pat flurries. They were hard punches. On this list, he is hands down faster than pac and Floyd and is about even with Jones.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    All of them had lightning fast hands, but overall who was the fastest in his prime?
    Hector 'Macho' Camacho was faster than all of them.

And 'young' Hector Carrasquilla of Panama was timed with the fastest ever '7-Punch' combination.

Mentioned
    1676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meldrick Taylor is the fastest world level fighter.

Terrance Ali and Esteban De Jesus were fast as well.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I'm shocked that nobody is talking about sugar Ray Leonard. I picked him although it was very close between him and Jones. I remember the first time I watched him fight hearns and his flurries at the end were like lightning. And they weren't pitty Pat flurries. They were hard punches. On this list, he is hands down faster than pac and Floyd and is about even with Jones.

I put Jones ahead of Leonard, and I'm a bigger fan of Leonard than I am of Jones. However... I agree Leonard had faster, more effective combinations than either Pac or Floyd.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leonard threw a lot of piddy-pat flurries though, and he wasn't nearly as crisp as Jones with his punches.

There's a ton of fast guys, and SRL is definitely among the fastest, but I wouldn't be able to pick him over Jones.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Leonard threw a lot of piddy-pat flurries though, and he wasn't nearly as crisp as Jones with his punches.

There's a ton of fast guys, and SRL is definitely among the fastest, but I wouldn't be able to pick him over Jones.
    Leonard didn't pitty pat punch anyone, with the possible exception of Marvin Hagler. Leonard threw combos to hurt the other guy. Hard to tell if it looked like a shoe shine combo because Leonard only wanted points, or because the guy on the other side was one of the toughest guys in history with a granite chin (Hagler).

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post

Leonard didn't pitty pat punch anyone, with the possible exception of Marvin Hagler. Leonard threw combos to hurt the other guy. Hard to tell if it looked like a shoe shine combo because Leonard only wanted points, or because the guy on the other side was one of the toughest guys in history with a granite chin (Hagler).

It was the former.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He did a lot of shoe shining against Hagler.

Watch this stuff and tell me every shot he doesn't pitty pat. Right off the bat at the 30 second mark when he was in the amateurs.

Now you guys watch that, and then you watch this Roy Jones HL and tell me you think Leonard was faster than Jones p4p.

David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the category, I tend to rule out the flurry guys. The tip tap punches and the 3 or 4 extra punches from half angles look impressive but they're not really designed to hit something and if they land, are just meant to confuse an opponent. So for a fighter like manny, i'm impressed by how fast he closes the distance, but the half extended flurry punches lose their practicality on form. Half of them aren't even turned over.

Than Terry Norris was the fastest. One thing Norris didn't do was throw tip tap punches.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Always remember this combo from roy jones...he was the man.

Best combo ever!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He did a lot of shoe shining against Hagler.

Watch this stuff and tell me every shot he doesn't pitty pat. Right off the bat at the 30 second mark when he was in the amateurs.

Now you guys watch that, and then you watch this Roy Jones HL and tell me you think Leonard was faster than Jones p4p.

Who was Ray fighting and who was Roy fighting? Do u REALLY think Roy sits down on his combos vs Hagler or that caliber of fighter?!?!? Look at him vs a green Hop n vs Toney. Was he throwing fight ending shots or shoe shine combos and single shots? Ray may have taken some off vs Hagler, but his other fights were all comprised of him throwing meaningful combos.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Imp & Mikeod said it far better than I could.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information