Quote Originally Posted by LegendBoxing65
Duran was in my mind overrated. I will never think different. He never fought that great a guy at lightweight, although he was dominant. When he moved up to welt in 1980 that was not that big a jump and even when Ray fought his fight, he couldnt stop Ray, Then Ray easily beat him in 2 fights. Duran then lost to these great fighters Benitez,Hearns,Hagler. Having an excuse for all of them that he did not train. He would fight the top guys and lose, then fight a guy like Davey Moore and Iran Barkley between those fights and look good and that would boost him to another big fight. And then he would lose to the top guy again. But the memory of his dominance made people forget that he lost and he also knew how to make excuses. Although no one really buys his excuses. I respect him as a warrior, but his skills have been far overrated. His foot positioning was too wide for a good boxer to not exploit. He was good defensively on the inside, but not on the outside. he had great inside reflexes. But when a guy had him on the outside he was very ordinary. Problem is at lightweight he did not have a Pernell or a Floyd to fight and outbox him. Which they would have.
yeah but duran was great in defeat. he always gave it his all. with the exception of leonard 2
and c'mon he lost 2 guys 3-4 weight divisions above his natural weight