Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roberto Duran

Does anybody know anything about roberto durans training methods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roberto Duran

yeah, he would go in a squat position and start skipping..
    Welcome to the forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i no this has gone off the topic but, what boxing gym do you go to, to The_one77

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI
    i no this has gone off the topic but, what boxing gym do you go to, to The_one77

I read in an article not too long ago that he would literally go into a squat position, and skip....
    Ive tried it many times, its bloody hard.

I no longer box anymore, why do you ask?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just curious, thanks for the information, ive found it very hard to find anything about his training methods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea ive seen him do that type of skipping on a documentry once

He mustve been having a public training session and then suddenly he squats and spins the skipping rope super fast so the crowd reach a creshendo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI
    Does anybody know anything about roberto durans training methods.
    Duran trained hard for the smaller fighters who he could beat, and when he fought the great fighters he did not train and partied. This is according to him since he always says after he lost that he partied and didn't train. Coincidentally, this coincided with the fighters being the greatest fighters he ever fought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this is a little homo but he train in speedos some times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by headson
    this is a little homo but he train in speedos some times
    dude speedos were not gay in the 70's-80's.
    i wear speedos in the 80's put lokking back now, they were quite gay but back then every one was wearing dick-stickers
    &quot;To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragety&quot; -Cus D&#039;amato-<br /><br />&quot;I pitty the fool&quot;-clubber lang-<br /><br />&quot;My power is discombobulatingly devastating I could feel is muscle tissues collapse under my force. It&#039;s ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm&quot;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its not homo
    i meant to say it sounds a little
    but he work the heavy bag alot more than normal smaller fighters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Duran was in my mind overrated. I will never think different. He never fought that great a guy at lightweight, although he was dominant. When he moved up to welt in 1980 that was not that big a jump and even when Ray fought his fight, he couldnt stop Ray, Then Ray easily beat him in 2 fights. Duran then lost to these great fighters Benitez,Hearns,Hagler. Having an excuse for all of them that he did not train. He would fight the top guys and lose, then fight a guy like Davey Moore and Iran Barkley between those fights and look good and that would boost him to another big fight. And then he would lose to the top guy again. But the memory of his dominance made people forget that he lost and he also knew how to make excuses. Although no one really buys his excuses. I respect him as a warrior, but his skills have been far overrated. His foot positioning was too wide for a good boxer to not exploit. He was good defensively on the inside, but not on the outside. he had great inside reflexes. But when a guy had him on the outside he was very ordinary. Problem is at lightweight he did not have a Pernell or a Floyd to fight and outbox him. Which they would have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I should add. If anyone fights Duran on the inside they will lose. So what do the greater fighters do? Well they were usually quicker and they would box and land on the outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LegendBoxing65
    Duran was in my mind overrated. I will never think different. He never fought that great a guy at lightweight, although he was dominant. When he moved up to welt in 1980 that was not that big a jump and even when Ray fought his fight, he couldnt stop Ray, Then Ray easily beat him in 2 fights. Duran then lost to these great fighters Benitez,Hearns,Hagler. Having an excuse for all of them that he did not train. He would fight the top guys and lose, then fight a guy like Davey Moore and Iran Barkley between those fights and look good and that would boost him to another big fight. And then he would lose to the top guy again. But the memory of his dominance made people forget that he lost and he also knew how to make excuses. Although no one really buys his excuses. I respect him as a warrior, but his skills have been far overrated. His foot positioning was too wide for a good boxer to not exploit. He was good defensively on the inside, but not on the outside. he had great inside reflexes. But when a guy had him on the outside he was very ordinary. Problem is at lightweight he did not have a Pernell or a Floyd to fight and outbox him. Which they would have.
    yeah but duran was great in defeat. he always gave it his all. with the exception of leonard 2
    and c'mon he lost 2 guys 3-4 weight divisions above his natural weight
    &quot;To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragety&quot; -Cus D&#039;amato-<br /><br />&quot;I pitty the fool&quot;-clubber lang-<br /><br />&quot;My power is discombobulatingly devastating I could feel is muscle tissues collapse under my force. It&#039;s ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm&quot;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Troy McClure
    yeah but duran was great in defeat. he always gave it his all. with the exception of leonard 2
    Troy, that has always been his excuse. But in the 80s they were all moving up in weight and trying new challenges. Hearns moved up to Cruiserweight eventually. And he won two titles 30 pounds above welt. Duran could normally go up to 220 pounds. Even Thomas Hearns who people say is so much bigger than Duran cannot get above 205 pounds now. How much does Duran weigh now? I saw him at the Hall of Fame event and he looks to be 250 or 260. My point is this. If he was so great as some people say top 5 P4P ever. What did he do to warrant that high a ranking? For that high a ranking he should have beaten Leonard in the rematch,Benitez in his fight with him, Hearns in his fight and Hagler. But he lost to them all. Beating Moore and Iran and having a dominant lightweight career vs. average competition does not make him top 5 p4p ever. Not in my mind. I know it is almost crazy for anyone to challenge the status of the great Roberto Duran. But in my mind there were flaws in style and one excuse in one fight ok, but excuse in all of them he lost? yet then when he beat Iran he was in good shape. Well coincidentally Iran fought Duran the way you fight Duran for Duran to win. On the inside. Then that wide stance is a benefit and not a hindrance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Troy McClure
    Troy, that has always been his excuse. But in the 80s they were all moving up in weight and trying new challenges. Hearns moved up to Cruiserweight eventually. And he won two titles 30 pounds above welt. Duran could normally go up to 220 pounds. Even Thomas Hearns who people say is so much bigger than Duran cannot get above 205 pounds now. How much does Duran weigh now? I saw him at the Hall of Fame event and he looks to be 250 or 260. My point is this. If he was so great as some people say top 5 P4P ever. What did he do to warrant that high a ranking? For that high a ranking he should have beaten Leonard in the rematch,Benitez in his fight with him, Hearns in his fight and Hagler. But he lost to them all. Beating Moore and Iran and having a dominant lightweight career vs. average competition does not make him top 5 p4p ever. Not in my mind. I know it is almost crazy for anyone to challenge the status of the great Roberto Duran. But in my mind there were flaws in style and one excuse in one fight ok, but excuse in all of them he lost? yet then when he beat Iran he was in good shape. Well coincidentally Iran fought Duran the way you fight Duran for Duran to win. On the inside. Then that wide stance is a benefit and not a hindrance.
    i dont make excuses for duran-hearns! hears was taller, stronger, better boxer, i must admit i never expected duran to get ko the way he did but tommy is awsome, hearns is what like 6'2 and duran 5'9 something like that? and duran gave hagler a great fight, and duran beat srl, something hearns or hagler could not do!

Thread Information