0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jabbing Mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by red fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    I agree with Greys, interestingly the Arms have a Kinetic link to the Hips, not knees. the knees are orchestrated from the hips as are the feet.Everything comes from your centre of gravity, what gives you better balance, is where the thing you are trying to move, the Head, is balanced.
    Scrap bent elbows and knees create a shorter pendulum that swings faster.
    I know, whats the point.
    Point being harmonize the elbows with the knees by sinking the hips! Rear knee is soft allowing for high cadence.
    Ok got you, I prefer it on both knees, with the backfoot being your distance and drive, and stability. Backfoot being the anchor, as in anything you do in life as regards balance.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Greys, interestingly the Arms have a Kinetic link to the Hips, not knees. the knees are orchestrated from the hips as are the feet.Everything comes from your centre of gravity, what gives you better balance, is where the thing you are trying to move, the Head, is balanced.
    I know, whats the point.
    Point being harmonize the elbows with the knees by sinking the hips! Rear knee is soft allowing for high cadence.
    Ok got you, I prefer it on both knees, with the backfoot being your distance and drive, and stability. Backfoot being the anchor, as in anything you do in life as regards balance.
    How does the backfoot provide distance whilst being planted?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know, whats the point.
    I don't know if I can explain this...your right foot is where you really are. You can cheat close with your left foot and leave your right foot behind- get a wide stance-and you will be short with your right hand. To hook to the chin (you can push off the left foot to hit the body, not so much up top) you will pull back to your right foot.
    We talked above about how Floyd and Archie Moore created distance by stepping or leaning forward but came back to the right foot to land blows.
    And I'm not sure planted is the right word. In boxing your weight is constantly shifting from foot to foot. That is the essence of balance and the source of power and force.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I know, whats the point.
    I don't know if I can explain this...your right foot is where you really are. You can cheat close with your left foot and leave your right foot behind- get a wide stance-and you will be short with your right hand. To hook to the chin (you can push off the left foot to hit the body, not so much up top) you will pull back to your right foot.
    We talked above about how Floyd and Archie Moore created distance by stepping or leaning forward but came back to the right foot to land blows.
    And I'm not sure planted is the right word. In boxing your weight is constantly shifting from foot to foot. That is the essence of balance and the source of power and force.
    Okay so back foot distance means taking a step backwards with the right leg!? Just got a pm telling me to move my foot from 2 to 3 to create distance. Pivoting isn't creating distance it's merely buffering blows?
    Last edited by red fox; 09-21-2015 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I am saying is this...your right foot determines your real distance. I know I'm not explaining this well; I could show you in a second and I'm pretty sure we have a lot of common ground here. I think we are missing one another in the typing.
    You can step forward with your left foot, or lean over that foot, to draw a punch. Or, as was mentioned above, to confuse the distance...because the left foot is illusory. The real distance, where you need to be to effectively land each and every punch, is judged by your right foot.
    In your last post, I don't know what you meant by move from 2 to 3.
    Pivoting, or circling to either side, is a good way to cut distance. And you can use it to focus your weight to land hard punches.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I am saying is this...your right foot determines your real distance. I know I'm not explaining this well; I could show you in a second and I'm pretty sure we have a lot of common ground here. I think we are missing one another in the typing.
    You can step forward with your left foot, or lean over that foot, to draw a punch. Or, as was mentioned above, to confuse the distance...because the left foot is illusory. The real distance, where you need to be to effectively land each and every punch, is judged by your right foot.
    Pivoting, or circling to either side, is a good way to cut distance. And you can use it to focus your weight to land hard punches.
    Moore taught that pivoting is when lead toe aligns with the rear toe so why are we pivoting on the rear foot from 2pm to 3pm?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Moore taught that pivoting is when lead toe aligns with the rear toe so why are we pivoting on the rear foot from 2pm to 3pm?
    To move the hips, they cant move on their own, plus stabilizes the head where it should be.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the left foot is illusory. The real distance, where you need to be to effectively land each and every punch, is judged by your right foot.
    i don't know how true that is. roy jones fought from his front foot a lot. he pushed off of it to throw a left hook, or a jump hook as he called it, or he pushed off of it to move back from your right hand to throw a check hook over it in the same motion. he even threw his right hand from it because he liked to use it to square his hips to throw a clean up left hook. he threw jabs from his front foot because he needed his body weight to be over his front foot for this style to work. that check hook over a right hand you can't even throw without pushing off of your front foot. i think jones only used his back foot to get body weight over it when he would slip a jab through the space that he has next to his left ear and over his left shoulder to come back over it with a counter right hand. you look at the stance that jones had and its very front foot dominant. there were very few things a guy like jones was doing from his back foot and why is that so wrong. you look at a guy like muhammad ali. a guy like pernell whitaker. a guy like floyd mayweather. its front foot. its not about back foot. i don't understand this bias against guys who do things from the front foot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To move the hips, they cant move on their own, plus stabilizes the head where it should be.
    Why not start with the left foot at 3 PM to begin with? Also there's no power when you're pivoting on both feet like that.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why not start with the left foot at 3 PM to begin with? Also there's no power when you're pivoting on both feet like that.
    f
    Front foot is direction, back foot is drive, its a balancing act

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pivoting, or circling to either side, is a good way to cut distance. And
    you can use it to focus your weight to land hard punches.
    f
    No... Balance is lost pivoting on the ball of the right foot in the midst of throwing the LH.
    Last edited by red fox; 09-22-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

f
    No... Balance is lost pivoting on the ball of the right foot in the midst of throwing the LH.
    That is why you don't pivot the right foot on the left hook.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

f
    That is why you don't pivot the right foot on the left hook.
    Even if you're falling back into the heel one can easly do it off the front foot Lamon Brewster did this as well as Tommy Morrison and George Foreman. If you look at big George hitting the heavy bag the rear heel was up but he pushed off the front foot. Floyd Patterson,SRR,Lamotta, et all did this off the front foot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Touch of sleep View Post
    Remember the bees knees which is left knee over left toe!
    No. Not ever.
    RJJ best explains it... Keep your knee over the toe than hook off the jab. Understand hooking of the jab couldn't be done with the weight on the back foot.

Thread Information