Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Groves - Badou

It seems to have flown under the radar a bit but this will be Groves third attempt to get a version of the SMW title and should he win possibly set up a huge fight against DeGale later. Appearing on the Mayweather undercard may also help raise his profile somewhat. Exciting but flawed fighter, I think he has it in him to stop Badou.

He says stamina will not be a problem

George Groves has rejected claims that his “stamina” over 12 rounds will be a problem when he takes on the challenge of Badou Jack in Las Vegas. The “Saint” will undertake his third bid to become a Super – Middleweight World champion when he faces the WBC king on 12th September 2015 on the recently announced Floyd Mayweather JrAndre Berto under-card at the famed MGM grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
    In the past it could be said that endurance has been a concern, most notably in his losses against super-middleweight arch rival Carl “The Cobra” Froch, but Groves (21-2 KO16) says such negativity has spun him on during an eight-week training camp at altitude in California.
    Groves has been quoted as saying “I can use it to my advantage,”
    “You’re never going to be as fresh in the first round as you are in the last. But at the same time, I always finish strong. I’ve been 12 rounds before in high-intensity fights, fights which I’ve won, in which I haven’t faltered.
    “It’s nice that a few people in the media, usually with an agenda, will say something, and then it catches fire and everyone jumps on it.
    “Anyone who wants to base a game plan around me, around stamina, hoping that I’m going to fade and get tired… I’d never do that for any fight, because one day that guy ain’t going to get tired, and I certainly ain’t going to get tired.
    “I’m going to be full-steam ahead, from the first second to the last, and I’m really looking forward to it.”
    Groves’ trainer Paddy Fitzpatrick has also faced criticism over his fighter’s recent performances, with the 27-year-old putting in supposed below-par displays in beating Frenchman Christopher Rebrasse and American Denis Douglin since the second loss to Froch.
    “Against Christopher Rebrasse, he’d never been stopped, because I didn’t stop him I come under criticism. I threw 1,000 shots in that fight and then I got criticised for having no stamina. I won every round.
    “And then I fight Denis Douglin, I knocked him out, had a bit of a slow start but knocked him out. It’s easy to criticise because we haven’t won a world title yet, and it’ll probably be easy to praise us once we do.
    “We know we’ve done good work, we know we’ve improved, we know that in the gym we’re seeing what we need to see. As long as I go out and perform as I intend to, on fight night, I’m sure Paddy, and myself, will get a little bit more respect. But we don’t really fight for that any more.
    “Winning over the hearts and minds of fight fans is a difficult task, you’re only as good as your last interview these days. I’m not too fussed about the general perception. As long as we’re winning, which we are, we’re going to go out and perform and become world champion.”
    Groves will be hoping that it will be third time lucky for him to end his long-lasting mission to finally gets his hands on a world title.
    The West Londoner will be looking to build on his recent momentum since his last two victories and is excited by the opportunity. “I get that chance on the Las Vegas Strip, the crème de la crème for any fighter on the planet. I cannot wait to achieve my goal and become world champion.”
    However, the Saint must be careful not to become complacent. In Jack, Groves faces a fighter who maybe deemed as underrated.
    The Swedish-born champion has one loss on his record, coming against Derek Edwards last year, since then Jack has proved he his a genuine champion after previously dismissing undefeated American Anthony Dirrell for the same WBC belt that will be on offer next weekend, Jack also having drawn with Marco Antonio Periban in 2013.
    Share the post "Groves on Badou fight – “I’m going to be full-steam ahead, from the first second to the last.”"

Groves on Badou fight – “I’m going to be full-steam ahead, from the first second to the last.” | British Boxing News - The British Boxers Website
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Groves - Badou

I said at the time his return with Froch was must win. Already no one gives a flying fuck about him. Again another must win fight.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Memphis loves Groves.

I think he's an arrogant prick but hopefully he beats Jack. Not sure though (need a closer look at Jack). If he does win there are some tasty Brit fights with DeGale, Murray, Smith/Fielding, Buglioni that could happen.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is on box nation on the undercard of Berto fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    It seems to have flown under the radar a bit but this will be Groves third attempt to get a version of the SMW title and should he win possibly set up a huge fight against DeGale later. Appearing on the Mayweather undercard may also help raise his profile somewhat. Exciting but flawed fighter, I think he has it in him to stop Badou.

He says stamina will not be a problem
    I think the postponement took it off the radar a bit but it was pretty clear that they were moving it to the Floyd card since Jack fights under his banner. He looked solid vs Dirrell but Anthony is not the sharpest knife in the drawer and he let him run away with it. No fight in the "dog" that night. I think Jack is weak in the head and if George can stay on him he will fold. Its definitely winnable for either guy. Both have young careers with 23 and 21 fights. Pretty even match.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jack sucks.
    If Groves can't win this, he better just retire.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Jack sucks.
    If Groves wins it sets up a big domestic fight with De Gale and possibility that Froch may make a comeback.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally I think Groves is on another level to Jack.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Groves tko. Badou has the delivery of a used car salesman

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think they are on the same level. Decent fight.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rewatched some of Jack's fights. He is one of those fighters that doesn't have a single standout attribute. Not only does Groves have superior form/experience he also looks the better boxer, is faster and is a more explosive puncher. Once Groves starts landing the right hand it's goodnight Vienna.

Groves by KO is generally a 6/4 shot.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Jack sucks.
    If Groves wins it sets up a big domestic fight with De Gale and possibility that Froch may make a comeback.
    Froch is already talking up the comeback by his pathetic comments about Groves in the press, he is making a real cnut of himself.

De Gay is not big box office, mainly because he comes across as a twat. I suspect that Froch's two bob 'media handlers' are giving him a script such that he can get his second biggest payday on a rematch with Groves.

I still feel bad about the sheer injustice of the first Groves-Froch, so much so that I hope Groves bashes the shit out of him, but I would take nothing away from Froches previous acheivements, just the way he reacted to Groves (like a cunt).

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch has an inflated view of himself and so believes he is a ppv fighter. If he fights again it will be PPV either against Groves or De Gale.

If Sky can make Bellew v Cleverly ppv they can make Froch v Murray ppv too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say Groves by KO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I reckon Martinez vs salido will steal the show but this fight with groves and jack could be good if they have the power to hurt each other. If it's a tactical battle it won't be great to watch because groves can get sloppy & jack looks abit basic. However the tenacity groves showed in the 1st fight with froch deserves credit. He took the fight to Carl and I'd like to see the same attitude in this one

Thread Information