Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If dead trainers were alive today..

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If dead trainers were alive today..

Let's say a dead trainer were still alive in the present. Who would they train?

For example, say Eddie Futch were still alive. Who do you think would be a good fit for him?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If dead trainers were alive today..

I'd put Eddie Futch on Porter to see if he can make him into a little frazier with speed. Make him into a smarter fighter with the same energy just more patience and timing.

Maybe also GGG and Kovalev and he has a really knack to teaching power punchers to deal with cuties and dancers. So fine tuning them and their ability to cut off the ring, set up their shots and work the body with that freakish power.

Possibly thurman- but im not sure. You kind of have to give him fighters that understand accept and put his instructions into practice or whats the point?
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

El Kabong Guest

Interesting question and of course one bound to bring about loads of different viewpoints.

Of course Manny Steward would still be working with Wlad, Andy Lee, Jonathan Banks, et al. but if he wasn't then Deontay Wilder would certainly fit his style.

Angelo Dundee - Angie always had fighters in good shape, he let them figure their own style out and would help motivate them between rounds. I think he did his best work with Carmen Basilio, Ali, Ray Leonard, and George Foreman and he did not give them much advice, he just kept them motivated and focused. I think the best bets for him would be: GGG, Sergey Kovalev, Andre Ward, and Tim Bradley.

Eddie Futch
    Cus D'Mato
    Ray Arcel
    Gil Clancy
    Fritz Sdunek
    Dick Sadler

I'll get back to the others in due time. Good thread

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Interesting question and of course one bound to bring about loads of different viewpoints.

Of course Manny Steward would still be working with Wlad, Andy Lee, Jonathan Banks, et al. but if he wasn't then Deontay Wilder would certainly fit his style.

Angelo Dundee - Angie always had fighters in good shape, he let them figure their own style out and would help motivate them between rounds. I think he did his best work with Carmen Basilio, Ali, Ray Leonard, and George Foreman and he did not give them much advice, he just kept them motivated and focused. I think the best bets for him would be: GGG, Sergey Kovalev, Andre Ward, and Tim Bradley.

Eddie Futch
    Cus D'Mato
    Ray Arcel
    Gil Clancy
    Fritz Sdunek
    Dick Sadler

I'll get back to the others in due time. Good thread
    Gil Clancy hmm because he did a gr8 job with Emile Griffith I'd lean toward WW-MW fighters, maybe?
    I'm surprised he didn't have many star pupils as I've always enjoyed his commentating- he'd say something about what one of the fighter(s) should do--and then someone would actually do it!!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Emanuel Steward would work wonders on Amir Khan

Eddie Futch on Antony Joshua
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Emanuel Steward would work wonders on Amir Khan
    Deontay Wilder would be dangerous with him. Height & Reach ? Man that was Manny's specialty. May I brag a bit? Sure was good to talk with him at the IBHOF.

I've got some photos of him I took but can't find the right driver to download it anywhere. It was on a flip phone. Hey- it was the latest & greatest....then....
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

El Kabong Guest

Eddie Futch - I think had he been around at the time when James Toney and Bernard Hopkins were in their primes he would have worked wonders with them but he could have really brought Sam Peter around into being a good well rounded heavyweight. Right now I think he'd do well with GGG, Kovalev, Andre Ward, Pete Quillen.

Cus D'Mato oh man, what he could have done with guys like David Tua, Ike Ibeabuchi, Sam Peter (though he'd need quicker hands), Shane Mosley, Ricky Hatton, Tavoris Cloud, Edison Miranda, and Amir Mansour. I think Alexander Povetkin, Ruslan Chagaev, Sultan Ibragimov, the short stocky fighters like that were his bread and butter.

Ray Arcel what an underrated trainer! How he could have guided Oscar De la Hoya or Pernell Whittaker. I could see Andre Ward really excelling under Arcel, also Canelo Alvarez. But due to his work with the little guys what about Guillermo Rigondieux or Terrence Crawford or Danny Garcia?

Gil Clancy He did such a wonderful job with Griffith but aside from that he would aid a fighter here for a fight and a fighter there and would just move around with the heavyweights. I think maybe Keith Thurman would be a good fit, maybe Amir Khan, maybe Tim Bradley.

Fritz Sdunek Fritz was the German Cus D'Mato, he got his fighters to get in a crouch and attack attack attack. Denis Boytsov was his last protégé so obviously he'd still be working with him if he was around, but again Povetkin would have been good with him as well.

Dick Sadler Most known for working with Sonny Liston and George Foreman, I think he was great at getting a fighter with a big punch to be intimidating. Oh if only he'd been around for Randall Bailey!!! Right now I'd have to say Kovalev, GGG, Wilder

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who would be better for Fury: Futch or Steward?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Probably Futch....Manny would have him think in the ring. Futch would have him fight.

Tyson Fury isn't a thinker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably Futch....Manny would have him think in the ring. Futch would have him fight.

Tyson Fury isn't a thinker
    Fury has a good inside game for a big man, just like Bowe did.

El Kabong Guest

Angelo Dundee might have been good for Fury actually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because he would keep Fury focused?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paul Williams would have been a completely dominant welterweight/junior middleweight under Manny Steward.

Steward would get on his ass for fighting "shorter"

Mayweather/Williams @147 (w/Manny) circa 2007...Mayweather catches pure hell.

El Kabong Guest

Because he would keep Fury focused?
    Because Tyson knows how to fight his own fight and he's comfortable in the ring so all he needs is training and small amounts of guidance to keep him on track and that would get the best out of him.

jon09 Guest

I would love to seen Futch work with Maidana or Oscar against Floyd because he was able to map out ways to beat All Time Greats in Ali, Holyfield and Jones. Cus D'amato with Wilder or Haye. Dundee with Ward or Oscar. Steward with Bob Foster or Paul Williams.

Thread Information