Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilders Skill to Power ratio is waaay off.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Wilders Skill to Power ratio is waaay off.

What I mean by this is, yea he has power and that is not up for dispute.

But look how long he went with Molina and Duhaupes(?). It seems that if someone actually knows how to defend a little, he wont get the 1st-4th round KOs.

I mean ok yes, he is still getting the job done but look at his 3 hardest fights (his last 3), Stiverne, Molina and duhaupes....

Do any of them last 3 rounds with Lewis? Bruno? Tyson? Holyfield? McColl? Bowe? Wlad? Joshua?

Stiverne maybe but he does get KOd by pretty much everyone on that list.

In conclusion: He is wild by name and nature, he accuracy is horrible (see his end to Audley fight where he missed like 10 hooks in about 3 seconds) hehas power but does not deliver it well and would be more effective being relaxed and waiting for his shots.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 09-29-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wilders Skill to Power ratio is waaay off.

Most people aren't calling him skilled. He is still very raw and I don't will ever turn great but he has good power and is still a top HW.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Most people aren't calling him skilled. He is still very raw and I don't will ever turn great but he has good power and is still a top HW.
    Which shows the state that the HW division is in.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 09-29-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

But look how long he went with Molina and Duhaupes(?). It seems that if someone actually knows how to defend a little, he wont get the 1st-4th round KOs.

I mean ok yes, he is still getting the job done but look at his 3 hardest fights (his last 3), Stiverne, Molina and duhaupes....

Do any of them last 3 rounds with Lewis? Bruno? Tyson? Holyfield? McColl? Bowe? Wlad? Joshua?

In conclusion: He is wild by name and nature, he accuracy is horrible (see his end to Audley fight where he missed like 10 hooks in about 3 seconds) hehas power but does not deliver it well and would be more effective being relaxed and waiting for his shots.
    Hindsight is a great thing. It's easy to talk about past heavyweights as if they were great but I'm 34 so I remember what people used to say about the fighters you mention when they were fighting.

Bruno ? When he was fighting he was seen as a stiff. A guy who look liked he should be in Mr Olympia but had a weak chin. His punching power at the very top level was suspect. Who was the best guy he knocked out ? Bugner ? Carl Williams ? Gerrie Cotzee ? C'mon

McCall ? He was never seen as a power puncher. So why you think he would got Stiverne, Molina or Duhappas out of there is beyond me. But he did probably have one of the greatest chins in heavyweight history.

Tyson ? OK. Now you're talking. I agree. A prime Tyson would have more than likely made mincemeat out Stiverne, Molina, Duhappas. Though remember even Tyson was taken the distance more than once and in his prime by Tony Tucker and Bonecrusher Smith ? Were Tony Tucker or Bonecrusher Smith that much better that than Stiverne, Molina or Duhaupes ?

Lewis ? For some reason. I don't what it is. But Lennox Lewis never really won people over. I don't know what that is. He fought Tyson when it did not matter and both where past there prime. And he never fought Bowe. He could not get Holyfield out of there in 24 rounds even though Holyfield was natural cruiserweight.

Would he have got Stiverne, Molina and Duhaupes out of there ? Well he was knocked out cold by Hashim Rahman and he could not him out there and he was controversial knocked out by McCall (I thought he should have been allowed to continue) he did go the distance with Ray Mercer, David Tua and the little known Zeljko Mavrovic.

Joshua ? Too early to say

Bowe ? Not so sure

Wlad ? Maybe

All in all. It's easy to look back and say 'they were good so good back then"
    Last edited by denilson200; 09-30-2015 at 12:04 AM.

LouEVIL, Kentucky "birthplace of Cassius Clay"
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

at least his fights are entertaining and exciting. watching wlad is like watching paint dry. plod, jab, hug, plod, jab, hug, then maybe throw a right sometime, maybe. LAME!!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield spent 10 years as a heavyweight before he met Lewis. During that time he was the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world and was stopped once (it took Bowe 32 rounds to get rid of him). He is an all-time great heavyweight.

Tua and Mercer epitomise what it is to have a granite chin. Both fought at the highest level with Tua never being stopped and Mercer when he was a pensioner. Mavrovic was also never stopped in his career.

Basically Lewis didn't stop four fighters that don't get stopped.

Now lets look at who he did stop.

Mason
    Ruddock
    Bruno
    McCall (doesn't really count)
    Morrison
    Akinwande
    Golota
    Briggs
    Grant
    Botha
    Rahman
    Tyson
    Vitali Klitschko

Every single fighter on this page would be a strong favourite to beat Molinas and Duhaupas. And how many would Wilder beat? He'd have a punchers chance with everyone (well obviously not with McCall) but I'd bet the unders at 50-50.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's skilled and a natural athlete that is probably above average in most sports. I have fixated on the guy and delivered my share of contempt on how he's being handled. In large measure he represents one of the reasons I don't care much for the division. Has there ever been a more Ripe heavyweight division? Maybe Marciano's.

Its the coddling that disturbs me today above all else and in may cases its done by those who most likely could sweep the field. Its hard to say when this phenomenon started, perhaps it was with the advent of the sport but today its almost a way of life. Fighters in many cases don't get into the sport to fight, they get into it to get rich and famous. Jermaine Taylor has been the only one to admit that and yet he has one of the best resumes in the sport. Somewhere along the line the very ideal of the sport has been lost while its still being practiced. Its always been about economics but not to this extent. Its a selfie world and its more about the creation of stars then sorting out the sport.

An elephant in the room here is that he's American and if people don't think that skews the proceedings then I don't now what to say. Its not meant as an anti-american statement but its a fact. The division is an anomaly. Historically the weakest and yet the most prestigious. Its been a long drought for a division they have historically owned. He's just as much a marketing tool on steroids as he is a fighter. Its as much about reality tv as it is about the sport. Had David Price been in the States he would been handled quite differently and most likely would have got to 30+ in a row all by ko. He would have been hailed as the second coming of Gerry Cooney with better boxing skills.

Fact of the natter is there is more money today in the bluff that is oddly sustained by mediocrity. Much of the "buying" public laps this shit up. Deontay Wilder wont even mention Wlads name. He should have called him out or handed in his belt. He's got a bit of a dilemma now though. I'd wager he'd rather unify with Wlad then fight Povetkin.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder fought far too many easy fights before he got to world level. Mormally when they bring a prospect along they feed them journeymen but they'll gradually up the level of journeymen. One guy will be extremely durable, another guy will be a mover, a braler, counterpuncher and so on. Eventually normally a fight or so before world level they'll put the prospect in with a puncher. Wilder just fought garbage up until Stiverne so yes is still miles away from a finished product. He's getting away with it due to his size and power but he's still making tons of elementary mistakes, going straight back with his hands down and so on.

You've got to figure that there's at least the Ukrainian cabbage farmer and maybe one or two others who can expose him. He's getting big ratings for Haymon Boxing Club though without fighting anybody meaningful so they'll probably keep it that way for a while. If I was Haymon I'd really not want to be putting him in with Povetkin anytime soon.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

Hindsight is a great thing. It's easy to talk about past heavyweights as if they were great but I'm 34 so I remember what people used to say about the fighters you mention when they were fighting.

Bruno ? When he was fighting he was seen as a stiff. A guy who look liked he should be in Mr Olympia but had a weak chin. His punching power at the very top level was suspect. Who was the best guy he knocked out ? Bugner ? Carl Williams ? Gerrie Cotzee ? cmon

McCall ? He was never seen as power puncher. So why you think he would got Stiverne, Molina or Duhappas out of there is beyone me.But probably had on of the greatest chins in heavyweight history.

Tyson ? OK. Now you're talking. I agree. A prime Tyson would have more than likely made mincemeat out Stiverne, Molina, Duhappas. Though remember even Tyson was taken the distance more than once and in his prime by Tony Tucker and Bonecrusher Smith ? Were Tony Tucker or Bonecrusher Smith that much better that than Stiverne, Molina or Duhaupes ?

Lewis ? For some reason. I don't what it is. But Lennox Lewis never really won people over. I don't know what that is. He fought Tyson went it did not matter and both where past there prime. And he never fought Bowe. He could not get Holyfield out of there in 24 rounds even though Holyfield was natural cruiserweight.

Would he have got Stiverne, Molina and duhaupes out of there ? Well he was knocked ot cold by Rahman and controversial knocked out by McCall (I thought he should have been allowed to continue) he did go the distance with Ray Mercer, David Tua and the little known Zeljko Mavrovic.

Bowe ? Not so sure

Wlad ? Maybe

All in all. It's easy to look back and say 'they were good"
    Stated very well D.

Every hall of famer went the distance with more than a few nobodies. How time makes us remember what we love and forget what we choose.
    Wilder is credited with 326 out of 580 @ 56% and that is horrible accuracy?
    Most HW's either fight forward or on the move. This very raw boxer did both, Damn!!!

Tyson for example can only fight forward, push him back he is done. James Toney superb in the phone booth, but make him extend his arms he becomes limited. Hell, Wladimir never fights inside. He clinches till the ref intervene and is technically fighting at a distance where he utilizes that jab and long reach.
    When Corie Sanders knocked him the fuck out, it was in close quarters with no time for strategizing.
    For all of Wilder's faults: He used his legs 1st few rounds to move back and counter, next few rounds he fought in the inside. then backed up Duhaupas, while retaining his power into the 11th And knew how to finish off with a flurry with both hands.

Amazing we get a fight that didn't require cable, ppv and is pretty entertaining, yet we still find reason to shit all over the event.
    I'm not looking for Wilder to become a fighter that prefaces on defence.then I might cry that he is a safety first fighter. I don't care that he fights backwards, so as long as his hands move.
    Fact is... I don't think he has to gain a certain level of skill to beat Wlad.
    He needs to know his limitations, stamina and punch resistance.
    He is tenacious, determined, and aims to please the crowd. The ingredients that will either cause knockouts or to get knocked out. Either way I am quickly becoming a Deontay Wilder supporter!!!!!!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 09-30-2015 at 12:29 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fenster View Post

now lets look at who he did stop.

Mason--who didnt stop him
    ruddock--who didnt stop him
    bruno--who didnt stop him
    mccall (doesn't really count)
    morrison--stopped a few times (mercer, bentt,
    akinwande---seriously
    Golota---doesnt count
    briggs--please....
    Grant---hahaha
    botha---hahaha
    rahman- ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha ha ha ha
    tyson---i'll give you this one
    vitali klitschko---and this one

wilder beats half of these guys

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder on mainstream TV should be applauded just like Arreola v Stiverne when that was on ESPN. It brings new fans to boxing. Wilder is raw, wild and exciting.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Wilder on mainstream TV should be applauded just like Arreola v Stiverne when that was on ESPN. It brings new fans to boxing. Wilder is raw, wild and exciting.
    FUNNY THO, I find Fury to be entertaining too.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

Bruno ? When he was fighting he was seen as a stiff. A guy who look liked he should be in Mr Olympia but had a weak chin. His punching power at the very top level was suspect. Who was the best guy he knocked out ? Bugner ? Carl Williams ? Gerrie Cotzee ? cmon

McCall ? He was never seen as power puncher. So why you think he would got Stiverne, Molina or Duhappas out of there is beyone me.But probably had on of the greatest chins in heavyweight history.

Lewis ? For some reason. I don't what it is. But Lennox Lewis never really won people over. I don't know what that is. He fought Tyson went it did not matter and both where past there prime. And he never fought Bowe. He could not get Holyfield out of there in 24 rounds even though Holyfield was natural cruiserweight.

Would he have got Stiverne, Molina and duhaupes out of there ? Well he was knocked ot cold by Rahman and controversial knocked out by McCall (I thought he should have been allowed to continue) he did go the distance with Ray Mercer, David Tua and the little known Zeljko Mavrovic.

Bowe ? Not so sure

Wlad ? Maybe

All in all. It's easy to look back and say 'they were good"
    Stated very well D.

Every hall of famer went the distance with more than a few nobodies. How time makes us remember what we love and forget what we choose.
    Wilder is credited with 326 out of 580 @ 56% and that is horrible accuracy?
    Most HW's either fight forward or on the move. This very raw boxer did both, Damn!!!

Tyson for example can only fight forward, push him back he is done. James Toney superb in the phone booth, but make him extend his arms he becomes limited. Hell, Wladimir never fights inside. He clinches till the ref intervene and is technically fighting at a distance where he utilizes that jab and long reach.
    When Corie Sanders knocked him the fuck out, it was in close quarters with no time for strategizing.
    For all of Wilder's faults: He used his legs 1st few rounds to move back and counter, next few rounds he fought in the inside. then backed up Duhaupas, while retaining his power into the 11th And knew how to finish off with a flurry with both hands.

Amazing we get a fight that didn't require cable, ppv and is pretty entertaining, yet we still find reason to shit all over the event.
    I'm not looking for Wilder to become a fighter that prefaces on defence.then I might cry that he is a safety first fighter. I don't care that he fights backwards, so as long as his hands move.
    Fact is... I don't think he has to gain a certain level of skill to beat Wlad.
    He needs to know his limitations, stamina and punch resistance.
    He is tenacious, determined, and aims to please the crowd. The ingredients that will either cause knockouts or to get knocked out. Either way I am quickly becoming a Deontay Wilder supporter!!!!!!
    Great post! Is Wilder the best heavyweight ever? No! If you were able to put Wilder in against some greats from the past would he win? Who knows, probably not, but maybe. Does he have the punching power and the skills to compete and win against the heavyweights in front of him today? Yes! Will he be able to get that job done? Some of us think so, some of us don't.
    Boxing fans, like all sports fans are never satisfied. in my opinion. Is that good or bad? Just being human? Insanity?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Wilder fought far too many easy fights before he got to world level. Mormally when they bring a prospect along they feed them journeymen but they'll gradually up the level of journeymen. One guy will be extremely durable, another guy will be a mover, a braler, counterpuncher and so on. Eventually normally a fight or so before world level they'll put the prospect in with a puncher. Wilder just fought garbage up until Stiverne so yes is still miles away from a finished product. He's getting away with it due to his size and power but he's still making tons of elementary mistakes, going straight back with his hands down and so on.

You've got to figure that there's at least the Ukrainian cabbage farmer and maybe one or two others who can expose him. He's getting big ratings for Haymon Boxing Club though without fighting anybody meaningful so they'll probably keep it that way for a while. If I was Haymon I'd really not want to be putting him in with Povetkin anytime soon.

That is true but for me it has more to do on what he's not doing now that he has arrived and the fact that the division is so weak makes it all the more difficult to understand. That is why I have concluded that for him its more about the marketing and selling the smoke and mirrors then it is about fighting but in fairness its not just him doing it. Look at the welter div. Its deep and nobody fights each other and they all think they pick their opponent. Another sad byproduct of Floyd.

Look at Tysons first 30 or Chavez's first 40 or Monzons first 50. So this practice is certainly not new.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

That is true but for me it has more to do on what he's not doing now that he has arrived and the fact that the division is so weak makes it all the more difficult to understand. That is why I have concluded that for him its more about the marketing and selling the smoke and mirrors then it is about fighting but in fairness its not just him doing it. Look at the welter div. Its deep and nobody fights each other and they all think they pick their opponent. Another sad byproduct of Floyd.

Look at Tysons first 30 or Chavez's first 40 or Monzons first 50. So this practice is certainly not new.
    Yet "look at Marciano's first 35" is used against him.

Thread Information