Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default boxing judges

I'm catching up on some old matches this eve as those of us who work weekends are forced to do. We all see some abysmal judging but when I have a day of leisure and watch nine fights or more and see four of those fights with absurd score cards it is really concerning. Boxing aint no joke. These guys are putting their well being on the line. Waiting years for title shots let alone the money being wagered around the world. I refuse to bet on boxing unless I feel confident of a knockout. One fight I watched this evening had me seething. I won't even mention the fighters, I wasn't even that familiar with them but the cards made me nauseous. It's a theme we all see, we boxing fans know what's what but records and belts are what help make these guys the money they deserve and you have a couple idiots sitting on the sidelines handing in a piece of paper that slaps them in the face.

I know we've probably done this thread a zillion times so forgive me but do you think or have you heard of binging some changes to the situation. Bring tech or replays into the scoring process. Tighter control and review over the judges. I don't even know how the process is monitored as it stands. It just really pisses me off. Needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening and do you think anything can be done to remedy the situation or will it be status quo and just part of the sport we and the fighters need to accept. At this point I'm willing to elect Steve Farhood as judge for every fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: boxing judges

I've always said that you get 3 strikes as a judge and then you are out. After every controversial decision you play a role in, you must sit down with whoever was putting on the match and go through each round and say why you scored it the way you did. If it checks out, no strike. If it doesn't, then you get a strike. Either the judging is fixed or they are incompetent. Either way, they need to fix the problem.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a third option which is they were just innocently wrong with their scoring.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Generally things have got better.

No longer do you see the blatant cheating; like for example Duke McKenzie in 1986 going to Italy and although winning a majority decision, the drawn card being scored 120/120...

http://boxrec.com/show/26417
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Italy was a bad and corrupt place. Herol Graham knocked down Kalambay twice and still did not get the decision.

I bet if Nigel Benn or Lloyd Honeyghan had not knocked out the Italians they fought they would not have got the title.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Italy was a bad and corrupt place. Herol Graham knocked down Kalambay twice and still did not get the decision.

I bet if Nigel Benn or Lloyd Honeyghan had not knocked out the Italians they fought they would not have got the title.
    Benn had Cortez to thank for not falling for the tricks of the Italians. If Galvano had somehow kept the title live on prime time terrestrial Saturday night TV, I think the following 'golden' years for the British game would not have happened.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess the corruption has just changed. Decades ago, fighters went into fights knowing that they wouldn't get the decision and had to get the KO for the win. Sometimes they were even told to throw the fight. I'm hoping that is a rare occurrence these days.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes the judging is terrible and I wonder if the scores are for the fight I just saw! Having said the judging is terrible at times I still want the judges to judge the fight the way they see it. Nobody should be able to lean on them in any way. If they are making mistakes regularly they should be evaluated/investigated by their governing org. and retrained or fired.
    There have been plenty of times when the comments of the broadcast crew have influenced boxing fans which has made a particular judges scorecard seem a lot worse than it is.
    Judges are boxing fans too, which means they might like a particular fighting style better. It's a rare occasion for me to read and agree with everyone's opinion about a fight. I know a lot of you probably think beenKOed is an idiot when I say something about the way a fight is going! Guess what? I think the same thing about some of your comments. Lately I've been asking myself what the hell kind of F*CKERY is this turkey trying to pull on us with that comment. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, I'm saying I don't think the judging is as bad as some of us think.
    Sometimes it really is terrible and I wonder if money has changed hands.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is so much inconsistancy in officiating Some Judges sometimes turn in ludicrous horrendous scorecards yet nothing is done others get punished
    EG.. CJ Ross scored Floyd-Canelo 114-114 & gets fired for it
    Dave Moretti turns in 118-110 in Floyd- Pac? Ignored

Many judges who turn in these ludicrous cards have been judging for years & obviously must know what they are doing which is why they look suspect & corrupt. A fighter puts his life on the line every time he climbs in the ring he at least should be able to expect a fair fight & an honest decision every time Sadly many do get the that
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I'm catching up on some old matches this eve as those of us who work weekends are forced to do. We all see some abysmal judging but when I have a day of leisure and watch nine fights or more and see four of those fights with absurd score cards it is really concerning. Boxing aint no joke. These guys are putting their well being on the line. Waiting years for title shots let alone the money being wagered around the world. I refuse to bet on boxing unless I feel confident of a knockout. One fight I watched this evening had me seething. I won't even mention the fighters, I wasn't even that familiar with them but the cards made me nauseous. It's a theme we all see, we boxing fans know what's what but records and belts are what help make these guys the money they deserve and you have a couple idiots sitting on the sidelines handing in a piece of paper that slaps them in the face.

I know we've probably done this thread a zillion times so forgive me but do you think or have you heard of binging some changes to the situation. Bring tech or replays into the scoring process. Tighter control and review over the judges. I don't even know how the process is monitored as it stands. It just really pisses me off. Needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening and do you think anything can be done to remedy the situation or will it be status quo and just part of the sport we and the fighters need to accept. At this point I'm willing to elect Steve Farhood as judge for every fight.
    Theres a blue corner, theres a red corner, theres a home fighter theres an away fighter, theres a sanctioning body who a promoter 'works with'. Normally the home fighter will always win on the undercard, try an accumulator bet on a hearn show! You can make money. The fights that sometimes tip the balance are the top of the bills where cheating by judges gets more publicity, because both fighters are having a go and joe public likes a fair result. Clear
    Now?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Rock View Post
    There is so much inconsistancy in officiating Some Judges sometimes turn in ludicrous horrendous scorecards yet nothing is done others get punished

Many judges who turn in these ludicrous cards have been judging for years & obviously must know what they are doing which is why they look suspect & corrupt. A fighter puts his life on the line every time he climbs in the ring he at least should be able to expect a fair fight & an honest decision every time Sadly many do get the that

118-110 in Floyd-Pacquiao is a defensible score, Manny did dick all in that fight and only had a couple of moments. 114-114 in Floyd-Canelo is a complete joke, the two cards are night and day and anyone who isn't a cheerleader knows that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

118-110 in Floyd-Pacquiao is a defensible score, Manny did dick all in that fight and only had a couple of moments. 114-114 in Floyd-Canelo is a complete joke, the two cards are night and day and anyone who isn't a cheerleader knows that.

Do you HONESTLY think Mayweather won 10 rounds to 2 in that debacle?? No way in hell. He did Nothing but run & hold for 12 rounds. Even his own trainer/father told him he was losing the fight because he was fighting scared. Manny was seriously injured fighting in pain he had an excuse Mayweather was caught pre fight CHEATING!! getting illegal excessive saline drips why did he need to cheat. I think we all know the real answer to that question
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ever notice how some threads which have had a healthy and sometimes heated debate going in them, just die off after certain posters insert themselves and their idiotic ideas..?
    Last edited by ruthless rocco; 10-09-2015 at 04:59 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is no accountability and they often remain anonymous regardless of outrage. Though the wbc has reversed a few decisions this year and suspended some judges and ordered them "retrained". As simple as it sounds I've always said introduce them standing at ringside. When the decision is determined they stand ring center and read it aloud themselves. Put the light on them. If that doesn't work do something crazy like having a review board and job performance assessment and fire the ones who cannot do the job. Like just about every job we know of.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

Do you HONESTLY think Mayweather won 10 rounds to 2 in that debacle?? No way in hell. He did Nothing but run & hold for 12 rounds. Even his own trainer/father told him he was losing the fight because he was fighting scared. Manny was seriously injured fighting in pain he had an excuse Mayweather was caught pre fight CHEATING!! getting illegal excessive saline drips why did he need to cheat. I think we all know the real answer to that question
    Do you honestly feed and dress yourself? Say you're right, MAnny was injured and Floyd cheated, is that supposed to change the way it was scored? I didn't like the way Floyd fought, thought he could have done a lot more, but the fact is Manny did even less in almost every round. I believe I had it 9-3, so I can easily see a 10-2 score. You could count the significant punches Manny landed in the whole fight on one hand. What did you score it, 10-2 for Manny?

Thread Information