Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default To Wilder's credit-

-- His opponents are a little more tougher and a helluva lot more skilled since winning the title. While they aren't World Beaters, Duhaupas and Molina showed some skill, and in Duhaupas' case showed some grit to wanna keep fighting when he was getting pounded.

Let's hope they keep finding Wilder "good" opposition, relatively speaking. We know when he gets to Povetkin, Pulev, Jennings, Fury, Chisora and Takam- even before we get to Wlad- it's gonna be another story all together. But let's just hope he keeps getting good and entertaining match ups and fights!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: To Wilder's credit-

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    -- His opponents are a little more tougher and a helluva lot more skilled since winning the title. While they aren't World Beaters, Duhaupas and Molina showed some skill, and in Duhaupas' case showed some grit to wanna keep fighting when he was getting pounded.

Let's hope they keep finding Wilder "good" opposition, relatively speaking. We know when he gets to Povetkin, Pulev, Jennings, Fury, Chisora and Takam- even before we get to Wlad- it's gonna be another story all together. But let's just hope he keeps getting good and entertaining match ups and fights!
    I can appreciate the sugar coating and positive outlook but it does not seem valid. Molina was ranked 44 and Duhaupas ranked 38th, so technically you are correct but its hardly any kind of real progression. Lets not forget that this guy is being paraded around as "world champion". I'd be satisfied just to know what world that is.

They are now playing the calendar game and most likely hoping and praying that Wach ends Povetkins charge. It also seems like the WBC is complicit in looking the other way and even recently saying that he can fight another optional. There is no reason that he should have to go thrrough all those guys before Wlad. Again he calls himself world champion already. He should be calling out that other guy that owns all the other tin and hasn't lost in 11 years. Its shit or get off the pot time. If the Wbc sacks up and forces the Povetkin fight there is nowhere to hide and there is a good chance Wilder will have to travel.

Just compare him to Tyson

Mike took the title from Berbick and that was the WBC at the end of 86
    He then unified with Smith (WBA) about 4 months later
    He defended both titles against Thomas 2 months after that
    He then unified with Tucker (IBF) 2 months after that.
    Defended all against Biggs 2 months later
    Starched Holmes 2 months later and then Tubbs 2 months after that.
    Then Spinks 3 months later.

That is how a world champion represents.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is this a joke? The only tough and skilled guy he fought was for the title.. I'll give you MOlina and Dupas were tough and came to fight, no shame on them, but WIlder IS sitting on the belt and shouldn't be allowed any more fights like that. Povetkin has the mandatory, no idea what is happening there. You have AJ and Bryant Jennings highly ranked in the WBC, both would beat WIlder imo. Othewise their top 10 is pretty weak, so you can probably expect defenses against Glazkov or Lucas BRowne coming up.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never said it was real progression, just that the last two were slightly better. Not better than Stiverne, but better than Salka ala Danny Garcia.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder is a world champion who has got the title too early. He wants to learn his trade now in his title defences when he should have learnt them coming up the division. Instead he fought bums to bad his record. Wilder is afraid to lose his title against Povetkin and trying to delay losing to Wlad.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think you can give wilder much credit at all for the opponents he has taken on since winning the belt, it looked to me like he was cleary trying to find the lowest ranked guy possible to take on in his last defence.. Just look at the names he was rumoured to fight before they settled on the frenchman, the wbc even rejected hughie fury as a possible opponent :S and the japanese heavyweight even mysteriously showed up in the wbc rankings....... and now he wants another optional defence, Wilder is unfortunatley a perfect example of a paper champion, which is a shame because i quite like him.

If he dodges povetkin for his next fight I hope he takes on Briggs, seeing briggs get ko'd would be an acceptable to substitute

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's got 35 fukking professional fights.
    I'd like to see Wilder fight the Povetkins, Jennings, and Furys sometime this decade..... if that's ok.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've taken shits tougher than most of Wilder's opponents.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    I've taken shits tougher than most of Wilder's opponents.
    Big asshole!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    He's got 35 fukking professional fights.
    I'd like to see Wilder fight the Povetkins, Jennings, and Furys sometime this decade..... if that's ok.
    I agree but I also think he is doing the right thing by staying busy. He is going to have to step up soon with a mandatory. We all realize he has been riding down easy street for long while and has to get with it or become a bigger joke than he is all ready. I will say that his last fight was entertaining, mostly due to the toughness of Duhaupas.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder is the guy who bluffed his way into the interview with a badly padded resume and woke up on his first day realizing he's not prepared to manage the store.

Have been thinking about recent champions and title win and first two defenses.. hard pressed to remember two more padded than Wilders I default to Bowe facing Dokes and Ferguson as top notch terrible but shit..Bowe just thrashed a tip top Holyfield. And Ferguson took Mercers slot prior. Its crazy when you think about it. Even the living Wookie Valuev faced stiffer comp in first two defenses with Beck (who was dug up to fall for Wilder six yrs later) and a Monte Barrett. Lamon Brewster I'm worried his bad habits have become a pattern in approach because they were not course corrected and he'll be wearing his own High school football jersey to the State fair when he is 50.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the only reason these two looked more formidable is (as some already said) he picked low guys on the totem pole.. so he could sandbag and perfect his 1000 approaches to the 1,2... and 1000 angled on the swatting hook/cuff... Somewhere in there they didnt read the script and actually tried and that somehow caught him off gaurd.

I'd have still given him a little more credit if he just fought the chris arreola that got a gift decision, but he instead when and found the frenchman. Duhuapas' style alone was a big red flag. Putting on the muffs and doing his heavybag impression should have made the fight like an open training session. He still outjabbed "mr. bomb squaT"
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Thread Information