Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mickey Vann: "Klitschko’s place in history is stronger than Mayweather’s"

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mickey Vann: "Klitschko’s place in history is stronger than Mayweather’s"

Mickey Vann: "Wladimir Klitschko's place in history is stronger than Floyd Mayweather's"

"If we consider Floyd Mayweather, a very intelligent boxer, as one of the greatest of modern times then we must also give Wladimir Klitschko, who has ruled at heavyweight for many years, at least the same credit.

Unlike Mayweather he hasn’t moved up and down in weight, nor has he fought exclusively on home turf. He has fought many times in America – as well as Germany – while he’s also fought in Switzerland and Russia. Lamon Brewster beat him in Germany eleven years ago, as did Corrie Saunders before that. He has had 67 fights and only lost three of those; the metal toughness exhibited to come back from defeat and prove himself time and again is something Mayweather has not done. And like Mayweather, Klitschko makes special fighters look ordinary.

Perhaps Mayweather is the slicker fighter, but Klitschko’s place in history should be regarded as highly, if not higher. Very few champions – Floyd included – have dominated their divisions like Wladimir. If one of my sons asked me who he should use as a role model between Floyd (rarely boxed out of Las Vegas) Mayweather and Wladimir Klitschko it is a no-brainer.

It looks like Klitschko’s fight with Tyson Fury will now take place on November 28. I don’t for one minute think his injury that caused the postponement is in any way a smoke screen, but I do believe the Klitschko camp are apprehensive, and I think this has been the case ever since the fight was announced.

I understand that the Klitschko team insisted on a return clause in the contract and the return to be in Germany before the contracts would be signed – this for me is not the actions of a team full of confidence.

However, credit to the fighter for taking on Fury in the first place and yet again fighting the best he could; this could not always be said of Mayweather."
    Last edited by Freedom; 10-13-2015 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mickey Vann: "Klitschko’s place in history is stronger than Mayweather’s"

Brilliant. Wlad has had the heart to come back from KO defeats(even though he didn't actually avenge those losses) and Floyd's never lost... So clearly a point for Wladimir

WLad has never moved up and down in weight, never mind that it was never remotely possible for him to. Another trump card

Wlad is once again showing how much greater he is by taking on a guy as dangerous as Tyson FUry. Something FLoyd definitely never did.... past about his 5th fight.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mickey Vann: "Klitschko’s place in history is stronger than Mayweather’s"

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Brilliant. Wlad has had the heart to come back from KO defeats(even though he didn't actually avenge those losses) and Floyd's never lost... So clearly a point for Wladimir

WLad has never moved up and down in weight, never mind that it was never remotely possible for him to. Another trump card

Wlad is once again showing how much greater he is by taking on a guy as dangerous as Tyson FUry. Something FLoyd definitely never did.... past about his 5th fight.
    Mayweather opponent for his 9th fight, a bantamweight moving up to face Floyd at junior lightweight:

BoxRec - Jesus Chavez

Jesus Chavez (1-13, 0 KO when he fought Mayweather. Chavez finished his career at 3-22, 1 KO and was knocked out 19 times in his 22 losses).

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wasn't quite being serious, but thanks for that... I'm sure WLad didn't fight any bums in his first dozen or so bouts right.

I'm not trying to knock him, he is a great and dominant champion, but this is a bit of a joke.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did they really say that wlad makes special fighters look ordinary? Haha. The best fighter he has fought is easily byrd IMO and that was a terrible style match up for byrd. Other than that, wlad hasn't fought one fighter who would at all be called special.

El Kabong Guest

Brilliant. Wlad has had the heart to come back from KO defeats(even though he didn't actually avenge those losses)
    He avenged vs Brewster, Corrie Sanders has passed away, and Ross Purrity is retired or whatever does anyone think Ross Purrity right now could beat Wlad again

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Mickey Vann: "Wladimir Klitschko's place in history is stronger than Floyd Mayweather's"

"If we consider Floyd Mayweather, a very intelligent boxer, as one of the greatest of modern times then we must also give Wladimir Klitschko, who has ruled at heavyweight for many years, at least the same credit.

Unlike Mayweather he hasn’t moved up and down in weight, nor has he fought exclusively on home turf. He has fought many times in America – as well as Germany – while he’s also fought in Switzerland and Russia. Lamon Brewster beat him in Germany eleven years ago, as did Corrie Saunders before that. He has had 67 fights and only lost three of those; the metal toughness exhibited to come back from defeat and prove himself time and again is something Mayweather has not done. And like Mayweather, Klitschko makes special fighters look ordinary.

Perhaps Mayweather is the slicker fighter, but Klitschko’s place in history should be regarded as highly, if not higher. Very few champions – Floyd included – have dominated their divisions like Wladimir. If one of my sons asked me who he should use as a role model between Floyd (rarely boxed out of Las Vegas) Mayweather and Wladimir Klitschko it is a no-brainer.

It looks like Klitschko’s fight with Tyson Fury will now take place on November 28. I don’t for one minute think his injury that caused the postponement is in any way a smoke screen, but I do believe the Klitschko camp are apprehensive, and I think this has been the case ever since the fight was announced.

I understand that the Klitschko team insisted on a return clause in the contract and the return to be in Germany before the contracts would be signed – this for me is not the actions of a team full of confidence.

However, credit to the fighter for taking on Fury in the first place and yet again fighting the best he could; this could not always be said of Mayweather."

I like Mickey Vann but is he on drugs here?

Mayweather has faced THE best in multiple divisions and has never really come close to losing, the fact is that nobody has been good enough to beat him.

Floyd has dominated multiple divisions not just one.

Yes Floyd since the Mosley fight has rarely gone on the offensive in more than a few bursts during a fight but he hasn't had too at his age.
    I said to a few of my mates after the Pac fight "Floyd isn't in there to stick his chin out and let himself get hit to entertain anybody, it's down to the opponent to be good enough and clever enough to nail him and win"

I'm not a huge fan of Floyds recent fight Post Hatton/De La Hoya/Mosley but before that and before he got a bit older he was devastating on the attack.

I think maybe the Gatti fight was Floyd at his most potent and he was on fire that night.

I don't think they can even be mentioned in the same breath personally

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Brilliant. Wlad has had the heart to come back from KO defeats(even though he didn't actually avenge those losses)
    He avenged vs Brewster, Corrie Sanders has passed away, and Ross Purrity is retired or whatever does anyone think Ross Purrity right now could beat Wlad again

Oh come on, did I say he should do it now? He could have rematched all those guys right away, instead Vitali beat Purrity and Sanders and he waited years to even rematch Brewster. Wouldn't it have shown a bit more heart go get right back in the ring against a guy who beat you? Lots of greats have done this.. Hell even Floyd showed he wasn't scared of giving Castillo an immediate rematch, surely that counts for something?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vann is wrong and has no right to say that but just shows how weak Floyd's legacy really is.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Oh come on, did I say he should do it now? He could have rematched all those guys right away, instead Vitali beat Purrity and Sanders and he waited years to even rematch Brewster. Wouldn't it have shown a bit more heart go get right back in the ring against a guy who beat you? Lots of greats have done this.. Hell even Floyd showed he wasn't scared of giving Castillo an immediate rematch, surely that counts for something?
    Different fights, different fighters....I'll admit it Wlad wasn't going to win an immediate rematch with Sanders, that loss shook him terribly, and the loss to Brewster shook him so badly even his brother told him to retire. He could have fought Purrity again early on in his career, maybe he should have, but I can't speak for Purrity and what he was doing in the aftermath of their fight.

Point is, Wlad handled the adversity, he corrected himself, he fixed his style, and now he's one of the greatest heavyweight champions of all time.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't dispute that.. My point was; using the fact Wlad suffered those defeats and came back as some way of ranking him above Mayweather or saying he has more heart for it, is a big fat joke.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who is Mickey Vann, and why should I think he has any credibility?

Oh, he's apparently the ref who scored Whitaker-Chavez a draw. He has no credibility whatsoever.
    Last edited by VG_Addict; 10-13-2015 at 04:14 AM.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mickey and Kenny Bayliss should do Strictly or Dancing with the Stars or at least put some giant dusters on their feet and start a camp floor polishing service
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Vann is wrong and has no right to say that but just shows how weak Floyd's legacy really is.
    I agree, neither one of those fighters is worth a can of beans. I like the way you get right to the bottom if things, Sir.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

I agree...

Thread Information