Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo wouldnt go up to 160 to face GGG

CANELO ALVAREZ INSISTS GENNADY GOLOVKIN HAS TO FIGHT HIM AT 155; STANDS FIRM ON NOT MOVING UP TO 160 || FIGHTHYPE.COM

He says he wants to fight him but hes not ready to move up yet. Maybe in like 1-2 years and GGG would have to go to 155 for the fight...Coward.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo wouldnt go up to 160 to face GGG

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo should stick to canola seeds QUINOA SEEDS

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo could easily fight as a middle, but he'd get his ass whipped by GGG. He can also easily make 154 and probably reign in that division, so I understand that as well. He's definitely not a big favourite to beat Cotto in my eyes, so first thing is first. If he does, I'd say Andrade would still be a really tough fight for him, mind you that's a fight that doesn't need to happen.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is going to beat his ass!!!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Canelo beats Cotto as I expect and doesn't want to go up in weight, fine. But then he must fight the likes of Andrade and all the other top LMW's around at 154lbs! Not 155 or 157 or any of that crap.
    Even if he wants to go to MW, ease himself into the weight and fight some other MW's prior to GGG, again fine, but whatever happens, DON'T try to make GGG Come down to some sort of ridiculous Catchweight.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alvarez has a bit of mainstream kudos about him. After Cotto, which I agree he should win, if GGG wants some mainstream buzz to go with boxing fancies appreciation of him, a fight at 155, if that is what is required, makes sense.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Cotto beats him up, I really do. CW of 155 pounds? FFS, stay at your weight then and don't even mention the man.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you all want to call Canelo a punk for not going up that's fine. Just be sure you judge GGG the same for his refusal to go up to fight Ward. It's exactly the same.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    If you all want to call Canelo a punk for not going up that's fine. Just be sure you judge GGG the same for his refusal to go up to fight Ward. It's exactly the same.

Theres no point in GGG going up when he can potentially make history at 160. Would be foolish. With Canelo its a bit different because he would officially be a 160 champion and would officially be in that weight class. Ive not seen GGG fight for any version of a 168 belt yet so its different. But as I said before Canelo isn't even going to fight GGG anyway, because Cotto is going to ruin him.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see GGG calling down Ward to fight at 161 pounds later on. He would be laughed at and rightly so.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post

Theres no point in GGG going up when he can potentially make history at 160. Would be foolish. With Canelo its a bit different because he would officially be a 160 champion and would officially be in that weight class. Ive not seen GGG fight for any version of a 168 belt yet so its different. But as I said before Canelo isn't even going to fight GGG anyway, because Cotto is going to ruin him.
    I think fans have got caught up in the sales pitch "history" "titles" "champion". It all matters in a look at my left hand while I lift your wallet with my right sort of way. But in true sport, true competition titles and defenses mean nothing when compared to quality of competition. One good opponent trumps 10 mediocre opponents. SRL is a legend, an all time great, he fought like 6 great fighters. Not 20. But those 6 were so damn good that he will always be known for taking on greats. Nobody cares about his 5 division titles or unifying or or or. At it's core it's about who you fight and that is all.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I don't see GGG calling down Ward to fight at 161 pounds later on. He would be laughed at and rightly so.
    He asked Ward to cut 8lbs from his previous fight. Canelo isn't asking GGG to cut nearly as much.

Both of us can make arguments based on facts where both arguments have weight. Point is both didn't want to fight a man. That is the crux of it. Both could take a tough fight, both don't want to. The same

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fair enough, they are both up to it. Hang them all sayeth the French on the eve of all things revolutionary.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post
    Alvarez has a bit of mainstream kudos about him. After Cotto, which I agree he should win, if GGG wants some mainstream buzz to go with boxing fancies appreciation of him, a fight at 155, if that is what is required, makes sense.
    I think you might be underestimating just how much "Mainstream kudos" GGG has, Especially in the States. I'm pretty certain that he is seen as the next Superstar of Boxing by many people over there, and that's exactly why he has his detractors like Ron Swanson & BBB, because he's relevant . a sort of back handed compliment.
    GGG has already said the only fighter he would ever drop down to fight would've been Floyd. He (quite rightly in my opinion) feels that he shouldn't have to be the "B Side" to anybody but Floyd.
    And finally, for all the GGG haters who moan that he won't go up in weight, they may get their wishes granted sooner rather than later, because the WBC have already said that if the Cotto/Canelo winner doesn't fight GGG, they will be stripped and GGG will be installed as their Champion. so, he'll have very nearly mopped up the division, and then he will move on, probably to SMW , but probably not for Ward as he will be going North himself for Kovalev (if he ever fights again! )

Thread Information