0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Previously...on LOST!

'Lost' Findings

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/comment...4_3_0_,00.html

EW senior writer Jeff Jensen solves the show! (Or so he thinks...) Disagree with him? Then post your own best guesses about the hatch, the Dharma Initiative, and other mysteries

Every month EW will turn to our shadowy operative inside the world of Lost for insight. Burn this when you're done. The truth is out there.

1. THE ISLAND: It's Alive!
    Our theory of Lost begins with the question posed in the pilot by smack-addled rocker Charlie: ''Guys...where are we?'' Some have argued that the island could be a hallucination — ''A Psychological Shipwreck,'' to use the title of an 1879 short story by Lost-linked author Ambrose Bierce. Or an alien twilight zone. It's tempting to go with ''limbo'' — an elastic enough idea to corral the show's incredible coincidences and odd details, like a smoke monster and a band of child-swiping Others. But we believe the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 aren't stuck in a mass delusion or a satanic mousetrap. They're alive on the island. A haunted island. And it was made that way by the Dharma Initiative.

2. THE DHARMA INITIATIVE: Head Games
    What we know about Dharma is incomplete at best, utterly bogus at worst. According to a choppy ''orientation film'' found in the hatch, Dharma founders Gerald and Karen DeGroot established a research facility on the island in the 1970s to conduct experiments in meteorology, zoology, electromagnetism, psychology, and parapsychology — a dubious science that believes the brain houses mind-over-matter powers. (Think X-Men, Jedi Knights, and sci-fi author Robert Heinlein, whose 1941 short story Lost Legacy is about kids realizing their psychic potential under the tutelage of — COINCIDENCE ALERT! — Ambrose Bierce.) Our theory is that intentionally or not, the Dharma team pulled loose psychic powers from one of its test subjects — skip to No. 5 for the answer about who that might be — with disastrous results. How? With fear. Where? Where else, down in...

3. THE HATCH: Human Testing
    The orientation film claims the hatch was originally used to study the island's ''unique'' electromagnetic energy. And indeed, there is a curious wall that seems to be humming with the stuff. But the filmstrip also states that the DeGroots were following B.F. Skinner, a psychologist famous for his Skinner boxes: controlled environments used to study animal behavior. Folks, the hatch is a human Skinner box.

Why wasn't this mentioned in the orientation film? Because the orientation film is part of the experiment! The film was fiction, designed to induce paranoia and fear and observe the test subject's reaction. What Dharma was studying was the behavior every Lost fanatic engages in: the human imperative to organize seemingly random details into some kind of order. The problem is that someone — someone we haven't seen or met yet — was put in the hatch and had a psychic break of world-altering proportions.

4. THE NUMBERS: Those Damn Yankees!
    It has been Lost's most baffling conundrum: the seemingly inexplicable connection between Hurley's havoc-causing Lotto picks — 4 8 15 16 23 42 — and the hatch's computer code. This is a two-part riddle. First, the original purpose of the numbers: Skinner box experiments require test subjects to execute empty tasks, like pulling levers or, say, inputting digits into a computer. The Dharma-ites chose the sequence because...they were big Yankee fans, and each number correlates to a retired Yankee jersey. But the second question is far more important: What purpose do the numbers serve now? There are lots of out-there (and fun) ways to go with this, but the truth is that the numbers don't do anything. The ''cursed'' digits are just one more sinister detail in Dharma's elaborate sleight of hand intended to freak out test subjects. The problem was that extreme stress on the subject in the hatch combined with the electromagnetic energy down there to jar loose some suppressed psychic powers. And it jarred them loose in the wrong individual. In that explosive moment, the once meaningless digits were encoded with devilish life. Hence, Hurley's bad luck, and a virus that is rewriting reality on the island.

5. THE ANSWER TO 'LOST': The Island Is Haunted by a Powerful Psychic
    The Dharma experiments resulted in the creation of a potent disembodied being. A being deeply steeped in pop culture — think about all the novels, comic books, and random flotsam that make up the DNA of Lost — and powerful enough to bring those bits of pop culture to life. Someone who imprinted his consciousness on the island. Someone whose radioactive corpse was walled up in the hatch. Someone named Aaron.

So how did the Oceanic crew end up on the island? Aaron summoned them, because he has as-yet-undetermined uses for each of them...and he needed a new body. The body of a then-unborn baby. Claire's baby. Which is why the Others (Aaron's followers) have tried to kidnap her child. And why they had to snatch poor, psychic Walt — remember that dead bird from season 1? — who was the only one with the ability to see through their plan.

Of course, the castaways could all be dead. It could be a mass hallucination. The Others could be trying to secure franchise rights to the Twilight Zone Dairy Queen. But this is our story, and we're sticking to it. At least until the start of the next episode.

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thought there was some good stuff in the above reading...not sure how on point that shit is though.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC wacko,nice theories although I don't think any of them are remotely close! Didn't you guys see the latest episode? What did you think? I thought it was really interesting! I think something has happened to Desmond since the Hatch imploded! Maybe the sound blas thing did something to him,I mean he was running around naked! Seeing the state of the hole formerly known as the hatch,how the heck did he survive? He should have been the first to die! Also,I cannot believe there are 2 fricking islands! WTF1!!!!

I think I agree with you Wack,Ben is my fave character! He is mysterious,so calm even when Sawyer wacked him yet when he needed to teach Sawyer a lesson,he gave him a beat down with that batton! Also,remember when Jack saw the X rays and said it was a 40 year old man's spine with a tumour,I think it is either a test for Jack because they know he was a spine surgeon OR I think it is Ben's spine,I just have a feeling! I alos loved the ticker idea!That taught him and it was sad seeing Sawyer cry,I mean he was REALLY scared and I think Kate is the only person he REALLY cares for. Also,it was a surprise that he has daughter!

Hmmm,oh and I think the Others have too much dissension within their ranks and this will surely spill over sooner or later. You can already see the splits,and to me it seems Ben thinks everyone is disposable,even Julia,whom I believe will end up falling for Jack.

Anything else? Come on you bunch of homosexual grape eaters,lets discuss this shat!! I want to hear theories!

Also,just a side note,Wack,I believe you are 100000% correct that daddy Widmore is invloved in the isnald. I think he knew Desmond was going to end up on the island,never to see his daughter again. She somehow managed to squeeze out info from him about where the island is and hey presto,those 2 foreign guys who found the electrmagnetic anomaly at the end of season 2. Also,somewhere,I think on the back of the card Desmond showed to Libby with a pic of the boat rose,it says Widmore's name adn it said,"philanthropist" meaning lover of humans,IE Dharma initiative style? I made all this up but pretty interesting nope?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm gonna rewatch the last episode, my initial thought was it wasn't one of my favorite episodes, probably my least favorite of the year, but that doesn't mean it was bad, just the other ones were real good.

I was glad the whole pacemaker shit was just a mind game cause I thought that was a little over the top. And the whole beating up Saywer till Kate said she loved him, I don't know.

But the ending was interesting.

Just a thought, I was out of town the last couple days and saw my nephew for the first time in like two years. He's 13 now and its amazing how different he looked than the last time I saw him. (yes I know this sounds odd but bear with me) My point is the people are supposed to have been on the island for like 70 days right? But its about three years since they started filming. You can hide aging among older people but I suspect Walt's look has changed even from the last time we saw him. You can't hide it as well among kids of that age, 11 to 12 year old kids look a lot different than 14-15 year olds. So will they just say fuck it, suspension of disbelief, we know he looks a lot different even though he's only supposed to have aged 70 days, just deal with it cause he's important to the story? Cause its just gonna get more and more noticeable as the seasons go on (assuming he continues to be a character)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I missed the previews last week, what did it look like for tonight?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice, I like Eko episodes

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So it is Henry with the tumor, thought so

wow, noticed the black thing streak by Eko when he woke up on the ground

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

new people

Boo

its back, does that thing seem to be around Eko more than anybody else or is that just me

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has this show gone over the top

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

maybe going over the top/jumping the shark is a bit harsh but I haven't been real happy with this season so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    maybe going over the top/jumping the shark is a bit harsh but I haven't been real happy with this season so far.
    Why bro? I tihkn it has been quiet good thus far although I want to learn more about the Others! Yeahhhh! I nailed that spinal thing in one of my earlier posts~! Hmmmm,I think it's a lie though,I think they are testing Jack,I don't think Ben's girl is really interested in him and that video part I think that was a set up.

I like the new girl in Locke's camp,she is cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute! I don't like that guy though,we already have Hurley for our jokes and sarcasm,that is more than enough. I was shocked at the ending(I don't want to post it just in case I spoil it for any of the guests reading)need less tosay THAT I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING"!!

I don't think it is over the top,I think it fits in pretty well with the show although I think that is the furthest they can take the black smoke etc any further anD I would be inclined to agree with you Ouma,it would be going too far. I am intrigued though,we/Ecko see black smoke but Jon asked him,do you see it too,the white light and the ending with Ecko saying that it is after you next or something?!

The only thing I will say about this season is I have NO IDEA where it is heading! I mean season 2 had the hatch etc but this season,the group is split,and I don't see how Kate,Sawyer and Jack will get out.

OH,how could I forget when they went to the other station and Sayeed wired the stattions and they picked up a picture of that fricking weird loooking guy with the patch,was it me or did he seem to be expecting someone to have a camero pointed at him? He seemed to be in place nd did not seem shocked! I was quite startled but the question is.....Who the Heck was he?!?! I have not seen him with the Others! Maybe another group? That was intriguing!

I love this show!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HOLY SHIT!

THAT WAS THE MOST INCREDIBLE HOUR OF TV I HAVE EVER SAT THROUGH.

AMAZING.

CAN'T WAIT TILL FEBRUARY.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hour? Mine was 45 min! What happened in the trailers for the next episode? I just paused it for a minute because I can't believe Jack wants to leave the island!!!! Good episode so far,but the only thing,I want to see is more of Hurley!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was a good episode.

Jack went up in my estimation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Come on guys,what do you think is going to happen>? I just read an interview with the producers and here is my summary of what they said:

They have already decided how to end it or at least to explain the island

They ARE introducing that cute girl and that dude,they know they will get criticised for it because it means less time for other regular characters but they believe it's something they have to do.

This season,there are going to be 2 bombs,a character one and a main story one?

We will find out about why Locke was in a wheelchair,the guy with the patch on his eye will feature prominently,why Jack has tatooes and LOADS of other things.....

This season is shaping up to be the best yet!Talk to me peeps,what are your thoughts and theories?

Thread Information