Thread: Alfonso Zamora vs. Jorge Lujan ~ November 19, 1977 ~ 'What An Upset'

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Alfonso Zamora vs. Jorge Lujan ~ November 19, 1977 ~ 'What An Upset'

November 19, 1977

WBA Bantamweight Championship

Sports Arena ~ Los Angeles, California

Alfonso Zamora ~ {Mexico City, Mexico}
    * WBA Bantamweight Champion

> Nickname ... 'El Toro'
    > Manager ..... Manuel 'El Chilero' Carrillo

> Record ....... 29-1-0 {29 KO's}
    > Age ............ 23 years, 9 months
    > Height ........ 5' 3"
    > Reach ......... 65"
    > Weight ....... 118 lbs.

> Stance ....... Orthodox
    > Style .......... Aggressive Slugger
    > Forte .......... Knockout Artist ~ Heavy Hands

Alfonso Zamora {Mexico City. Mexico} had been the WBA Bantamweight Champion since March 14, 1975
    {2 years, 8 months}.

Alfonso was the 'youngest' ever fighter to win a World Championship {Age; 21 years, 1 month} when
    he won the WBA Bantamweight Championship on March 14, 1975.

Alfonso has been a Professional for only {4 years, 7 months}, and is regarded as one of the hardest
    hitters in all of boxing.

This would be Alfonso's 5th Title Defense. But the WBA Champion had last successfully defended
    his Title 13-Months earlier, back on October 16, 1976.

The Bad >
    Alfonso had last fought 7-Months earlier {April 23, 1977} when he was 'blitzed' by a {L TKO 4} to
    WBC Bantamweight Champion - Carlos Zarate in a 'non-title' bout.

The Skinny >
    Alfonso was heavily favored here, and was listed as a {10-1} Betting-Favorite.

But, 'the skinny' circulating around town was, that Alfonso had lost his desire {fire} for Boxing, and
    had not been the same in Training Sessions. The devastating loss to Carlos Zarate {7-Months earlier}
    had completely destroyed Alfonso's confidence.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 11-17-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Alfonso Zamora vs. Jorge Lujan ~ November 19, 1977 ~ 'What An Upset'

Howdy sir, glad to see you back to doing what you do better than anybody! Giving us the 'shinny' about what happened in the lives of the regular (less controversial) fighter. Looking forward to it!

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Alfonso Zamora vs. Jorge Lujan ~ November 19, 1977 ~ 'What An Upset'

I remember this fight very well. Zamora was a killer in the ring. In 29 fights none of them were around for the final bell. So yes it was a big upset. Ring magazine picked Zamora to beat Zarate. Zarate was another killer in the ring but had some skills to go along with big power. Lujan was not on the same planet as these two. Yet he out boxed and out punch Zamora. He hurt Zamora again and again. I didn't know Zamora didn't train for this fight and it showed. The last 3 rounds Zamora was tired and his legs were shot. Never even saw Zamora tired in any fight.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    November 19, 1977

WBA Bantamweight Championship

Alfonso Zamora ~ {Mexico City, Mexico}
    * WBA Bantamweight Champion

> Nickname ... 'El Toro'
    > Manager ..... Manuel 'El Chilero' Carrillo

> Record ....... 29-1-0 {29 KO's}
    > Age ............ 23 years, 9 months
    > Height ........ 5' 3"
    > Reach ......... 65"
    > Weight ....... 118 lbs.

> Stance ....... Orthodox
    > Style .......... Aggressive Slugger

Alfonso Zamora {Mexico City. Mexico} had been the WBA Bantamweight Champion since March 14, 1975
    {2 years, 8 months}.

Alfonso was the 'youngest' ever fighter to win a World Championship {Age; 21 years, 1 month} when
    he won the WBA Bantamweight Championship on March 14, 1975.

Alfonso has been a Professional for only {4 years, 7 months}, and is regarded as one of the hardest
    hitters in all of boxing.

This would be Alfonso's 5th Title Defense. But the WBA Champion had last successfully defended
    his Title 13-Months earlier, back on October 16, 1976.

The Bad >
    Alfonso had last fought 7-Months earlier {April 23, 1977} when he was 'blitzed' by a {L TKO 4} to
    WBC Bantamweight Champion - Carlos Zarate in a 'non-title' bout.

The Skinny >
    Alfonso was heavily favored here, and was listed as a {10-1} Betting-Favorite.

But, 'the skinny' circulating around town was, that Alfonso had lost his desire {fire} for Boxing, and
    had not been the same in Training Sessions. The devastating loss to Carlos Zarate {7-Months earlier}
    had completely destroyed Alfonso's confidence.
    Alfonso 'El Toro' Zamora

Was a wide-open and wide-swinging slugger. There was nothing sophisticated about his style.
    He just walked forward, and threw heavy-bombs. Alfonso had power in both hands, and his
    'hooks-from-long-range' were a thing of beauty to watch.

Alfonso had remarkable strength. His upper-body looked that of a 'Brick-Laying Mason', and he
    resembled a 'stout-and-solid' 135 lb. Lightweight.

Virtually nobody could withstand his punches for very long.

Manuel Carrillo {Manager} >

We had a 'straight-forward' fight-plan when we fought Carlos Zarate. Our strategy was to go out
    and try to take him out early. But what we found out, was that Carlos had a tremendous chin. He
    withstood Alfonso's early attack and took some heavy punches to the chin that would have knocked
    out anybody else.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a 'Plan B' to go to.

Next time, we will fight him differently. What we'll do, is box him and go to his thin body. Alfonso will
    wear him down some first, and then go upstairs.

The first time we fought him, we thought that we could take out Zarate early. But Alfonso was swinging
    from way outside in Rounds 3 and 4, and he got caught by Zarate's long reach.

Basically, we fell into their trap. We just got out-smarted, that's all. If we fight again, the result will be
    completely different. We'll box him early and fight more conservatively. We'll just fight smarter, and wear
    him down before we open up.

I'm hoping we can get another chance at Carlos Zarate. We're hoping for a bout with him in 6-Months,
    possibly April or May {1978}.

I want Alfonso to have '2' more Title Defenses first. After - Jorge Lujan, we'll have another Title Defense
    in early-February 1978. Then we'll have 3-Months to prepare for the rematch with Carlos Zarate.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 11-17-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ MagnaVerde Promotions ~

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    I remember this fight very well. Zamora was a killer in the ring. In 29 fights none of them were around for the final bell. So yes it was a big upset. Ring magazine picked Zamora to beat Zarate. Zarate was another killer in the ring but had some skills to go along with big power. Lujan was not on the same planet as these two. Yet he out boxed and out punch Zamora. He hurt Zamora again and again. I didn't know Zamora didn't train for this fight and it showed. The last 3 rounds Zamora was tired and his legs were shot. Never even saw Zamora tired in any fight.
    If Zamora never trained properly for the fight then he deserved to lose.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jorge Lujan ~ {Colon, Panama}
    #5 WBA-ranked Bantamweight

> Nickname ......... 'Mocho'
    > Manager ........... Aurelio Cortez

> Record ............. 16-2-0 {9 KO's}
    > Age ................. 22 years, 8 months
    > Height ............. 5' 5"
    Reach ................. 66"
    Weight ................ 117 3/4 lbs.

> Stance ............. Orthodox
    > Style ................ Boxer / Counter-Puncher
    > Forte ............... Patience ~ Sharp-Puncher

Jorge Lujan {Colon, Panama} is a calm-and-cool stylish boxer. Jorge has been a Professional for
    {4 years, 5 months}, and has established himself as one of the finest Bantamweight boxers in
    Central America.

As early as mid-1975, Jorge entered the Top 10 in the Flyweight {112 lbs.} Division. But, by the
    end of the year Jorge was having difficulty making weight. He then ventured up to the Bantamweight
    Division.

By mid-1976, the 'undefeated' Panamanian was now ranked in the Top 10 of the WBA Bantamweight
    Division.

On May 14, 1977 ~ Jorge battled countryman #5 WBA-ranked Gilberto Illueca, who was also a former
    WBA Bantamweight Title Challenger.

In the Panamanian Bantamweight 'eliminator', Jorge lost for the 1st-ime in {16-Bouts}, as he was edged
    out by a 10-Round Majority Decision.

Jorge bounced back with a win {TKO 7} on July 30, 1977 > and then took a step up in weight and
    entered the Super Bantamweight {122 lbs.} Division on September 2, 1977.

Jorge travelled to Cali, Colombia to take on Jose Cervantes, who was the #6 WBA/#7 WBC ranked
    Super-Bantamweight. Cervantes was a WBC Super Bantamweight Title Challenger earlier in the year.

In that bout, Jorge lost a 'close and controversial' 10-Round Decision. It was called a 'home-town' Decision,
    and a robbery by the Central American Boxing Press.

Despite the loss, the WBA still ranked Jorge Lujan as the #5 Bantamweight.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 11-17-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Alfonso Zamora Attempts New Knockout String ~

WBA Bantamweight Champion - Alfonso Zamora had started is career with an amazing string of
    '29' consecutive Knockouts.

Then came to the disastrous loss {L TKO 4} to Carlos Zarate on April 23, 1977 in a 'non-title' bout.
    Alfonso promised to get back to his 'KO' winning ways.

Alfonso Zamora >
    "I know all about Jorge Lujan. He's been around for a while. I don't think it will be my toughest
    fight, but it will be a tough one. He's a very good boxer, and he has a tight defense."

"If I fight with steady-pressure, I will win. He like to counter-punch, so I must not miss with my
    punches. I must press him with constant pressure."

Jorge Lujan >
    "I make no predictions. All that I can say is, that I am confident and will fight my best fight. I will
    not take any chances with Alfonso. He punches too hard to stand and trade with him."

"If I box and stay with my fight-plan, I will do fine."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note; > Jorge Lujan was billed as having a fight record of > 20-1-1 with {16 KO's}.

Fight Purses
    Alfonso Zamora ........ $40,000 + {Radio and Television Broadcast Rights to Mexico}

Jorge Lujan .............. $12,500 + {Travel and Hotel Expenses, plus Amenities}

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 11-16-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saturday ~ November 19, 1977

Attendance ...... 9866

WBA Super-Bantamweight Championship

* WBA Champion - Alfonso 'El Toro' Zamora ~ 29-1-0 {29 KO's}
    vs.
    #5 WBA Challenger - Jorge 'Mocho' Lujan ~ 16-2-0 {9 KO's}
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Skinny ~

Alfonso Zamora was an over-whelming {10-1} Betting-Favorite.

Lightly-regarded Challenger - Jorge Lujan was expected to be nothing more than a
    'sacrificial lamb'.

On the undercard - Roberto Rubaldino was fighting. Roberto was listed as the next
    Challenger {if he won} for the WBA Bantamweight Championship.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Back Information

October 30, 1977

~ Alfonso Zamora- Jorge Lujan ~ WBA Bantamweight Championship Pushed Back 1-Week ~

This bout was 'originally' scheduled for November 12, 1977.

But, Alfonso Zamora was having difficulty getting down to 118 lbs.

MagnaVerde Promotions {Promoter ~ Danny Villanueva} made an announcement on October 30th,
    that he was pushing the bout back 1-Week, to give Alfonso Zamora additional time to get in shape.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ The Fight ~

Round 1 >

Both fighters met at Center-Ring. Both fighters were patient, as each looked for an opening
    over the first {1:00}.

The Challenger - Jorge Lujan did not at look intimidated by the hard-punching Champion,
    as he tried to utilize his 2" Height advantage by staying up-right and tall.

The Champion - Alfonso Zamora was looking for a moment to attack, as he was loading
    up and waiting.

There was little action over the first 2-Minutes, as each boxer was parrying the other.

At the {2:10 Mark}, Alfonso made an aggressive attack, and drove Lujan into the front-left
    Corner with a '5-Punch' salvo.

But the Panamanian was calm, and slid to his left and to the back-left Ring area, as the Champion
    pursued.

Alfonso started to 'wing-in-punches', but he was missing as Lujan proved he had a good defense.

At the {2:45 Mark}, Alfonso was able to get off with a good-flurry, and drove Lujan into the
    back-left Ring area, as he scored with a solid 'left-right' just before the Bell.

Round 1 ........... {10-9} ..... Alfonso Zamora
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 11-17-2015 at 06:26 PM.

Thread Information