Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto stripped

Didn't really see that coming. Not specific on what 'rules and regulations' not met they are referring as to cause. But if you're a middleweight..you fight at middleweight. Mauricio Sulaiman released the following statement:

The World Boxing Council worked tirelessly through a process that began over two years ago to secure the celebration of the highly anticipated fight between Miguel Cotto and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. The WBC is proud of that accomplishment that is giving boxing fans around the world a very important fight to see.

After several weeks of communications, countless attempts and good faith time extensions trying to preserve the fight as a WBC World Championship, Miguel Cotto and his promotion did not agree to comply with the WBC Rules & Regulations, while Saúl Alvarez has agreed to do so. Accordingly, the WBC must rule on the matter prior to the fight.

The WBC hereby announces that effective immediately has withdrawn recognition of Miguel Cotto as WBC World Middleweight Champion. If Saul “Canelo” Alvarez wins the fight against Cotto, he will be recognized as the WBC middleweight world champion.

The WBC’s decision is premised on the fact that Miguel Cotto and his camp are not willing to abide by the governing WBC Rules & Regulations, and the specific conditions the WBC established to sanction the fight. Simply put: they are not willing to respect the very same rules and conditions which applied to Cotto becoming WBC champion. The WBC wishes Miguel Cotto the best of luck as we truly regret the course of action which led to them taking such decision.

The WBC is a non-profit governing organization founded 53 years ago. The WBC has implemented all of the current rules in the sport, paving the way to much safer boxing. The WBC creates, implements and enforces, its Rules & Regulations to bring safety, order, unity, justice and equality to a sport that was marred with abuse and unfairness. Since the first day of existence of our organization, the WBC has taken countless actions for the protection of the boxer and it is a fact that most if not all boxers dream of conquering the green belt.

The WBC stands by its honorability and will not participate in the abuse of power and greediness, which has taken our boxing world to regrettable actions from different parties. The WBC wishes the promotion great success and we are satisfied that this great fight for boxing will be enjoyed by millions of fans around the world.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto stripped

Ha. He wouldn't pay a sanctioning fee. Smart move. He saves 2 or 3 percent of his purse* and because he's stripped if he wins it lessens the pressure on him to fight Golovkin. He can just say he's not a middleweight and fight somebody else, he has a ridiculously high purse guarantee for his next few fights from RN anyway. Win win.

*The sanctioning body rules are generally 3 percent of the purse but the big boys like Floyd can negotiate how much they're going to pay -- no way do the WBC or whoever get anything like three percent of Floyd's purses. 0.3 percent maybe. Cotto has been negotiating with them right up to now and had probably planned to not pay a fee all along.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Didn't really see that coming. Not specific on what 'rules and regulations' not met they are referring as to cause. But if you're a middleweight..you fight at middleweight. Mauricio Sulaiman released the following statement:

The World Boxing Council worked tirelessly through a process that began over two years ago to secure the celebration of the highly anticipated fight between Miguel Cotto and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. The WBC is proud of that accomplishment that is giving boxing fans around the world a very important fight to see.

After several weeks of communications, countless attempts and good faith time extensions trying to preserve the fight as a WBC World Championship, Miguel Cotto and his promotion did not agree to comply with the WBC Rules & Regulations, while Saúl Alvarez has agreed to do so. Accordingly, the WBC must rule on the matter prior to the fight.

The WBC hereby announces that effective immediately has withdrawn recognition of Miguel Cotto as WBC World Middleweight Champion. If Saul “Canelo” Alvarez wins the fight against Cotto, he will be recognized as the WBC middleweight world champion.

The WBC’s decision is premised on the fact that Miguel Cotto and his camp are not willing to abide by the governing WBC Rules & Regulations, and the specific conditions the WBC established to sanction the fight. Simply put: they are not willing to respect the very same rules and conditions which applied to Cotto becoming WBC champion. The WBC wishes Miguel Cotto the best of luck as we truly regret the course of action which led to them taking such decision.

The WBC is a non-profit governing organization founded 53 years ago. The WBC has implemented all of the current rules in the sport, paving the way to much safer boxing. The WBC creates, implements and enforces, its Rules & Regulations to bring safety, order, unity, justice and equality to a sport that was marred with abuse and unfairness. Since the first day of existence of our organization, the WBC has taken countless actions for the protection of the boxer and it is a fact that most if not all boxers dream of conquering the green belt.

The WBC stands by its honorability and will not participate in the abuse of power and greediness, which has taken our boxing world to regrettable actions from different parties. The WBC wishes the promotion great success and we are satisfied that this great fight for boxing will be enjoyed by millions of fans around the world.
    Wow I said they should have or should but never thought they would. These two never needed the damn thing to begin with. Props to the WBC for doing the right thing for once.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OOPS read to quickly. Alvarez will still be able to win the thing makes this look like Cotto actually dropped it rather then it being stripped. So props to Cotto and I take back my props to the WBC,

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

they think that their title still holds the significance that it used to, he's the lineal champ, that's the only thing that matters

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    OOPS read to quickly. Alvarez will still be able to win the thing makes this look like Cotto actually dropped it rather then it being stripped. So props to Cotto and I take back my props to the WBC,
    I actually reckon that Maybe Cotto has said he won't be fighting GGG at 160, whereas Canelo has agreed to ( although he'll actually squirm out of that further down the line.)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha! Cotto has a problem with paying the sanctioning fee. But has no problem paying step-aside money to Golovkin.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's been long established that neither Cotto nor Canelo are too eager to face GGG.
    At least Cotto has a size excuse.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think it's been long established that neither Cotto nor Canelo are too eager to face GGG.

Yes he does. Balls and heart are indeed smaller

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Yes he does. Balls and heart are indeed smaller

I normally prefer not to speculate on the size of another man's balls, thanks.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is a natural 147-pounder, slightly smallish for 154... and definitely not suited for 160.
    Canelo is a natural 160-pounder, who dehydrates to make 155, but could easily fight at 168.

Cotto or Roach never said they'd never fight GGG.
    Canelo and Oscar said various things:

1. Canelo would fight GGG "someday".
    2. Canelo wouldn't fight GGG at 160. It would have to be at 155.
    3. They would let the fight "marinate" (whatever the f*ck that means).

Yet Cotto is the one that catches hell for ducking GGG.

Sounds like sound logic to me.

I like my side of the argument.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was never prepared to cheer against Cotto in this one but a part of me wanted him to get his ass kicked because of the way he has handled himself since winning the title. Even the silly 159 with Martinez picked my ass but things changed. The part of me that wanted the title to change hands was based on the assumption that Alvarez would have had the nutsack to fight Golovkin after signing on to do so. After all he was inheriting Cotto's mandatory that allowed him to fight Cotto. Well, well, he has no intention on fighting Golovkin either. To add insult to injury, instead of the WBC declaring the title vacant, their native son now gets to fight for it after their champion dropped it. This is what I mean when speaking about the Wbc making things up as they go along.

I mean seriously, announcing in the press 5 days before the fight that you stripped a guy when in reality he dropped the belt. Not paying the fees and ignoring the phone calls means he dropped the belt. Honourable by Cotto but he also should have said something sooner. Pride perhaps and I guess the posters were already done up, advertising in the millions and promotion.

The closer this fight gets the more I think Cotto might beat this kid up. At first I thought well what we have here is a classic case of the long in the tooth boxer puncher facing a much younger version of himself. Youth should prevail one would think but boxing is different and Cotto is also fighting a less savvy version of himself based on my initial comparison. The same mistakes Cotto made that allowed others to cash in on he can now cash in on against his younger self. Alvarez still comes to a complete stop to throw a power shot. You don't have to be Floyd Mayweather to take advantage of that. And when you really think about it, Alvarez has never seen a fighter like Cotto anymore then he had seen a Floyd but the quality comes from two different angles. With Floyd it was his D but with Cotto its the O.

Its most definitely going to be a hook fest.

Ps- And good for Cotto letting the tin go, refusing to pay the 300 grand sanctioning fee and the 800 grand to Golovkin. And good for Alvarez getting a free shot at a title that should not be on the line and not having to pay a cent to do it. Typical Wbc douche performance. Should Alvarez win he wont be fighting Golovkin and has already made that clear even though he signed on to do so. At least Cotto had the balls to drop the tin even if he did it late.
    Last edited by IamInuit; 11-18-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not at all impressed really. If Cotto were to win, then GGG is again denied the chance to fight the lineal champion. 159 against Martinez was already a middle finger up and sticking his tongue out now so that he drops the bottle hardly gives his title hostage taking BS anymore credence. Smoke and Mirrors on both sides (WBC and Cotto). No Better than putting Rousey on the front of Ring. Diva like nonsense.

I hope Canelo flattens him.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Canelo will win, but will bin the belt, he's not facing Golovkin either. So unless the WBC just give Golovkin the belt his next fight will be Jorge Sebastian Heiland.

As for Cotto dumping the belt, that is nothing new, just about every big rich famous fighter dump the belts when they become bigger than them. $300,000 to represent a gang that basically means nothing (nobody that knows anything about boxing considers Cotto the best middle in the world).
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see Canelo as a natural 160lber.

Did he show signs of being weight drained at 152lbs?

Sorry, my post is completely out of context!

I have no real problem with Cotto dropping the title. What Canelo will do with it is also up to him, as long as he doesn't hold it hostage. That shit needs to stop!
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 11-18-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information