Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If a fighter throws a punch and breaks his own arm, what is the ruling?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If a fighter throws a punch and breaks his own arm, what is the ruling?

If a fighter before the 4th round lands a power shot which misses completely and dislocates his shoulder or hits an opponent's elbow for example and cannot continue----is it a TKO?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly this happened quite recently (within the last 2 years definitely ) it was a European bloke fighting on boxnation and it was awarded to the other bloke as a TKO if I remember correctly

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If a fighter throws a punch and breaks his own arm, what is the ruling?

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    If a fighter before the 4th round lands a power shot which misses completely and dislocates his shoulder or hits an opponent's elbow for example and cannot continue----is it a TKO?
    Have you seen Pascal vs Diaconu 1 brock? If not, Pascal dislocated his shoulder about 5 times in that fight and finished and fought rounds against that Romanian Lamotta one -handed. And they kept resetting it. I was cringing in my seat. Had he pulled out it would have been a tko for Adrien.

You know one of Grebs 2 stoppages in 300 fights came as a result of a broken arm against Kid Graves and Harry pulled out the round he broke it in by many accounts. They stopped the fight and Graves got the tko.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If a fighter throws a punch and breaks his own arm, what is the ruling?

It depends where and who you are fighting for. The British board award a TKO no matter when.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even though Hopkins didn't mess his shoulder by throwing a punch (Antwon Echols) fight 2 basically body slammed him. It seemed at first his shoulder was dislocated (me thinks he was kinda faking/acting)

For the next round and half Hopkins took Echols to school with one arm.

Then like a movie star karate expert...he jerked his arm...like he had the power to snap it back in place. Funny shit.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As with Pascal, same happened to Holyfield vs Byrd.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weird. So a dislocated joint for example a shoulder or elbow can be snapped back into place at the corners and/or Fighters discretion. I guess it is not an automatic stoppage then. The fighter has the option to continue if if the joint can be popped back into place. F****** weird

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pernell Whitaker suffered a freak TKO when he dislocated his shoulder during his final fight. Hop taking Echols to school with one hand was one of my favorite performances. The ref wanted to stop the fight and award Hop the DQ, but Hop was paranoid and insisted to fight on so "they" couldn't steal his title. That performance convinced me to go against the odds and bet BIG on Hop when he fought Tito. Along with Foreman (vs Moorer), best bets I ever made...

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you are in the corner, your fighter throws a punch and gets his arm tangled in the strap that hholds the ropes together.....
    Your heart pounds and you think you might throw up. You feel his shoulder, elbow, arm, but you can't show worry.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another question to add to the thread..

Can boxers wear contact lenses?!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Flanagan won his title this year this way didnt he?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

loss by.........tko ......injury retirement (RTD) it depends on the governing body over seeing the event
    how the loss is worded.
    Personally I prefer the RTD when it comes to a legit injury stoppage, a tko should benefit the opponents particaption and a tko loss does punish the losers time span to be able to return to the ring. Again the "body" (federation, state, region, country etc..)over seeing the event will have presidence as to time duration banning. Most times a tko will be 30 to 60 days and a KO will be 90 to 120 days.
    Ray

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I seriously wish I could get the blurry footage up but I remember the sick scene of a young Gabe Ruelas having his arm wrenched and snapped by Jeff Franklin resulting in a 'tko'. Ruelas was in full control and absolutely battered Franklin in the 6th. Gabe had a way of following through with long punches, his right was like a tumbling brick here. He dropped him hard and Franklin gets up howling and points at the camera with a bloody face. Franklin gets hurt again badly right before the bell and stumbles down. In the next round the beating continues then somewhere along the way Gabe's right arm suddenly goes lame, he literally is dragging it and cannot raise hand above beltline. Joe Goosen between rounds goes ballistic...he says glue it to your head and go all left jabs and hooks. Goosen had a way of raging. Says he'll kick Gabes ass if he lowers it and gets into argument with doctor trying to examine the arm. He sends Gabe out with a "motherfucker" and tells doctor to back off as they stood there bickering. Franklin comes out and pours it on and starts to maul inside early 7th then lays inside as the arm might as well have been useless driftwood. He locks Gabe's right arm and turns into it like seeing a knee bend in backwards! A bad as you will see. Ruelas sagging, turns his back in excruciating pain looking at the arm like it was a separated limb. It was an interesting and sudden shift in a fight, the arm wrench was never even mentioned in a bad way and Jim Lampley basically says "he's a gonna do what he has to do to secure a win".

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you break your own arm, it's your fault and it results in a ko. If your opponent throws, grabs, or does something illegally to cause you to break your arm, depending on what happens, it may result in a DQ win or a No-Contest at best.

See Tyson/Norris for a no-contest that ended up with Norris turning his knee and was unable to continue and See Hopkins/Dawson for another- Hopkins fell/thrown on his shoulder and unable to continue. The fights were ruled no-contests.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    If you break your own arm, it's your fault and it results in a ko. If your opponent throws, grabs, or does something illegally to cause you to break your arm, depending on what happens, it may result in a DQ win or a No-Contest at best.

See Tyson/Norris for a no-contest that ended up with Norris turning his knee and was unable to continue and See Hopkins/Dawson for another- Hopkins fell/thrown on his shoulder and unable to continue. The fights were ruled no-contests.
    The crazy thing is the exact same thing happened to Norris earlier in career and was ruled a tko and wasn't result of a punch like Tyson. I don't think there is a definitive rule and seems very much random. I mean the record book says Pat Lawlor knocked out Roberto Duran but it was a combination of a shoulder separation and a hook right on it to help it out . I remember Takumbo Olajide being dropped by Mendoza and twisting his ankle resulting in tko, same as Tyson from a punch. Seems like a real shat way to lose yeh.

Thread Information