Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshuas weight increase

People are saying hes filled out its not all muscle.

What is that extra weight then if not muscle? Is it fat? No! Is it water retention? No...

Muscle doesnt grow from normal boxing training if you are already developed. It can if youve never trained but not someone whos trained and trained with weights for years.

It will be his undoing anyway.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Antony is not as muscle bound as Bruno. He seems faster and more fluid than that but we will see if tires during the latter stages of his fights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

What is that extra weight then if not muscle? Is it fat? No! Is it water retention? No...

Muscle doesnt grow from normal boxing training if you are already developed. It can if youve never trained but not someone whos trained and trained with weights for years.

as per usual , with your ignorance , you are summising. nothing remotely like a fact anywhere to be seen in your posts.
    he's gone from 16 and a half stone to 17 and a half stone in 2 years . considering he's that weight and 6 foot 5, Proportionately, he's not going to look that different. can you not fucking understand this?
    either come up with some facts or fucking pipe down!!!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

as per usual , with your ignorance , you are summising. nothing remotely like a fact anywhere to be seen in your posts.
    he's gone from 16 and a half stone to 17 and a half stone in 2 years . considering he's that weight and 6 foot 5, Proportionately, he's not going to look that different. can you not fucking understand this?
    You talk a load of shit. Youv jever trained and no nothing about building muscle. For a forum of enthusiasts there isnt much in the way practical knowledge and experience in here.

Your opinion means little to me as it should to anyone else in here. Hes gone up in weight fast. It is muscle which is blatantly obvious for those not just looking for an argument. You might think its not a big increase but talk to anyone else who knows a bit about building muscle and they will agree that it is not insignificant. Especially given all his other training.

This forum is getting as bad as eastside boxing/boxingforum24 with idiots like you arguing about stuff you clearly have no idea about. Its also embarrasing watching others like your crap.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ross you are losing it mate. The moment you are worried about other posters "liking" comments that are not yours, is the moment you lose all perspective. Careful too, comparing Saddos to Eastside should be an immediate banning offence.

For such an expert your contribution to the training section seems pretty meagre. After getting ill I put a lot of weight back on with free weights and it certainly wasn't all muscle. About a Stone in a year. Reaching mate.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You talk a load of shit. Youv jever trained and no nothing about building muscle. For a forum of enthusiasts there isnt much in the way practical knowledge and experience in here.

Your opinion means little to me as it should to anyone else in here. Hes gone up in weight fast. It is muscle which is blatantly obvious for those not just looking for an argument. You might think its not a big increase but talk to anyone else who knows a bit about building muscle and they will agree that it is not insignificant. Especially given all his other training.

This forum is getting as bad as eastside boxing/boxingforum24 with idiots like you arguing about stuff you clearly have no idea about. Its also embarrasing watching others like your crap.
    You Wanker, it's YOU Who's talking crap! "I've never trained" how the fuck do you know that ? I've said I NEVER BOXED,and I said I did another Sport where it wasn't about being a lower weight , it was more about being bigger and stronger. I also said that I participated to a decent, just below Pro level. How the fuck do you know I'm not an ex (or current for that matter) weightlifter or Bodybuilder?
    Just because I don't sob my heart out on here, crying about how unpopular I am and worrying about other people liking other posts, and just because I don't give everyone my life story on here like some needy insecure twat, don't think that you know it all.
    Now , I REPEAT ,
    a. Putting on a Stone within 2 years of training like a pro is NOT OUT OF THE ORDINARY.
    b. How do YOU KNOW it is "20 lbs of pure muscle" ?
    And don't reply with "is it water,no is it fat, no" bollocks because that is meaningless. Come up with a fact once in a while.
    Joshua was interviewed and said he gets tested 5 times a month. Whyte was asked if he thought Joshua was on Steroids, he said no. He said he was a drug peddler, but not on steroids.
    So,unless you can come up with anything resembling a fact rather than live in your pathetic fantasyland of bullshit, fuck off and be ridiculed by everyone in Guernsey who thinks you're a joke figure like every other normal day for you.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You Wanker, it's YOU Who's talking crap! "I've never trained" how the fuck do you know that ? I've said I NEVER BOXED,and I said I did another Sport where it wasn't about being a lower weight , it was more about being bigger and stronger. I also said that I participated to a decent, just below Pro level. How the fuck do you know I'm not an ex (or current for that matter) weightlifter or Bodybuilder?
    Just because I don't sob my heart out on here, crying about how unpopular I am and worrying about other people liking other posts, and just because I don't give everyone my life story on here like some needy insecure twat, don't think that you know it all.
    Now , I REPEAT ,
    a. Putting on a Stone within 2 years of training like a pro is NOT OUT OF THE ORDINARY.
    b. How do YOU KNOW it is "20 lbs of pure muscle" ?
    And don't reply with "is it water,no is it fat, no" bollocks because that is meaningless. Come up with a fact once in a while.
    Joshua was interviewed and said he gets tested 5 times a month. Whyte was asked if he thought Joshua was on Steroids, he said no. He said he was a drug peddler, but not on steroids.
    So,unless you can come up with anything resembling a fact rather than live in your pathetic fantasyland of bullshit, fuck off and be ridiculed by everyone in Guernsey who thinks you're a joke figure like every other normal day for you.
    Believe me you dont need to point it out

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    20lb of pure muscle is a huge gain in two years for a heavyweight boxer.

Its not like he was a lighter weight fighter boiling down in weight who could easily move up.

Fury goes up and down with fat and fluid. Joshua has clearly gone up with muscle. I cant believe you even used Fury as an example

Tyson and all the Furys get random tested regularly as Peter Fury points out on hos twitter. He laughs about it because people look at their success and cant believe its just natural hard work. There is a lot of bitterness and jealousy about the furys success but thats neither here nor there.

Anyone whos tried building miscle purposefully will tell you that a lean 20lb gain in two years is huge, even if you are 6,6". Its massive for anyone, let alone someone doing it "naturally" legally.

Like I said, Joshua has said himself he used to be big on weightlifting before the boxing so its not like he just started and unlocked some growth potential out of nowhere. For someone who regularly lifts weights up to the age of 24 to suddenly gain 20lb in 2 years is suspicious!

Im hoping someone who knows a bit about weightlifting/bodybuilding chips in here.
    @AdamGB would be useful about now, shame he doesn't post that often.

The bit in bold. I agree in part, but only in part. For Joe Bloggs popping down the gym at the weekend, occasionally after work, mostly looking at tarts in yoga pants yeah they'd struggle to pack on 20lbs of lean muscle I'm sure.

But for a full time athlete with the best of everything who is also clearly very gifted genetically, is it really that ridiculous a gain?

Ross why don't you think his physique and weight gain has got more exposure?
    I still read the boards occasionally but had a very busy jan-july and I've not really gotten back into posting since, dropped back and having to sift through the usual passive aggressive dribble, obsessive Ali threads and whimsical spam put me off...

That's another story though.

Coincidentally, since July, I've gained 5-6kg. Not really sure you guys want pics, but my body fat % is about the same and my focus was more on gaining strength and power whilst maintaining my conditioning, not gainig mass.

Through work I obviously have access to the gym more than most and more knowledge/experience.

I don't have the genetics, nutritionists or coaching that Joshua has though, nor as much time to train.

If a 6 foot 6 pro athlete packing 20lb on in his early 20s is crazy, a 6 foot bloke gaining over 10lb in under 6 months at 29 must be fantasy?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    20lb of pure muscle is a huge gain in two years for a heavyweight boxer.

Its not like he was a lighter weight fighter boiling down in weight who could easily move up.

Fury goes up and down with fat and fluid. Joshua has clearly gone up with muscle. I cant believe you even used Fury as an example

Tyson and all the Furys get random tested regularly as Peter Fury points out on hos twitter. He laughs about it because people look at their success and cant believe its just natural hard work. There is a lot of bitterness and jealousy about the furys success but thats neither here nor there.

Anyone whos tried building miscle purposefully will tell you that a lean 20lb gain in two years is huge, even if you are 6,6". Its massive for anyone, let alone someone doing it "naturally" legally.

Like I said, Joshua has said himself he used to be big on weightlifting before the boxing so its not like he just started and unlocked some growth potential out of nowhere. For someone who regularly lifts weights up to the age of 24 to suddenly gain 20lb in 2 years is suspicious!

Im hoping someone who knows a bit about weightlifting/bodybuilding chips in here.
    @AdamGB would be useful about now, shame he doesn't post that often.

The bit in bold. I agree in part, but only in part. For Joe Bloggs popping down the gym at the weekend, occasionally after work, mostly looking at tarts in yoga pants yeah they'd struggle to pack on 20lbs of lean muscle I'm sure.

But for a full time athlete with the best of everything who is also clearly very gifted genetically, is it really that ridiculous a gain?

Ross why don't you think his physique and weight gain has got more exposure?
    I still read the boards occasionally but had a very busy jan-july and I've not really gotten back into posting since, dropped back and having to sift through the usual passive aggressive dribble, obsessive Ali threads and whimsical spam put me off...

That's another story though.

Coincidentally, since July, I've gained 5-6kg. Not really sure you guys want pics, but my body fat % is about the same and my focus was more on gaining strength and power whilst maintaining my conditioning, not gainig mass.

Through work I obviously have access to the gym more than most and more knowledge/experience.

I don't have the genetics, nutritionists or coaching that Joshua has though, nor as much time to train.

If a 6 foot 6 pro athlete packing 20lb on in his early 20s is crazy, a 6 foot bloke gaining over 10lb in under 6 months at 29 must be fantasy?
    Yeah id like to see proof

Body fat about the same eh? Give or take 10%

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nowt to prove

The practicality of sending piss and hair samples, before and after shots and a caliper test of my bodyfat verified by an impartial person probably isn't worth it either

The fact is that it takes balanced, simple but smart training/nutrition, a lot of hard graft and above all consistency and time.

The average bloke doesn't have a lot of those qualities (relative to a professional athlete) or luxuries so you can't really use joe public as a reference point when talking about an elite athlete.

Doesn't mean that Joshua is clean, but gaining 20lbs on a massive frame in two years isn't a smoking gun for me, there are plenty of tells to look for, this isn't one of them.

Usually 24 you're only just hitting your physical peak.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nowt to prove

The practicality of sending piss and hair samples, before and after shots and a caliper test of my bodyfat verified by an impartial person probably isn't worth it either

The fact is that it takes balanced, simple but smart training/nutrition, a lot of hard graft and above all consistency and time.

The average bloke doesn't have a lot of those qualities (relative to a professional athlete) or luxuries so you can't really use joe public as a reference point when talking about an elite athlete.

Doesn't mean that Joshua is clean, but gaining 20lbs on a massive frame in two years isn't a smoking gun for me, there are plenty of tells to look for, this isn't one of them.

Usually 24 you're only just hitting your physical peak.
    Ill take your word for your muscle increase and fat percentage staying ambiguously "about" the same

BUT!!

The whole reason I started bringing this up is we arent talking a 100 meter sprinter, we are talking someone whos supposedly an endurance athlete. Someone who has to be able to fight for 12 x 3 minute rounds. It just doesnt make sense to me and clearly alot of other people who know a bit about boxing who are bringing it up now on other sites and interviews. You see what a fighter has first before you pack more weight on them. Make sure they are fine over the distance as they are. Doesnt make any sense to me. Maybe if hed lost and it was a strength issue but he was heavily muscled already, he wasnt a stick insect.

Maybe there is another issue in the background like the ability to take punishment that histeam are concerned about. There are rumours of him being knocked out in sparring by Price. He gpt a good going over by Wlad in sparring by all accounts. Been stopped a few times in the ams. Dropped by Whyte. There is a big question mark as there was with Price.

Coincidentally Johnny Nelson has just done an i terview where he says that Chisora gave Whyte a going over in sparring and Olubamiwo reckons he dropped Whyte with a body shot.

And predictably for some ill mention Fury. Apparently hes never been dropped in sparring and hes sparred some huge punchers. Its a funny old game!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want to split hairs, I'm floating about 10 - 12 % same as I was when I was 5kg lighter.

To call boxing an endurance sport is erroneous, a endurance events are characterised by being consistent and low in their intensity and long duration, predominantly aerobic. Boxing, especially as you move up the weights is extremely anaerobic in nature.

Partly depending on style, you're not a marathon runner, you're a sprinter who needs to be able to sprint repeatedly and then make up the oxygen debt inbetween rounds.

I'd suggest researching sarcoplasmic hypertrophy versus myofibular hypertrophy to better understand why gaining 'muscle' can hurt some fighters, but not others.

Boxing has a way to go in terms of strength and conditioning, guys like Bruno trained more like bodybuilders, hence the phobia the sport still has.

Whether Joshua has put on 20lb usefully or not remains to be seen, but the fact remains 20lb on him is not suspicious alone.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want to split hairs, I'm floating about 10 - 12 % same as I was when I was 5kg lighter.

To call boxing an endurance sport is erroneous, a endurance events are characterised by being consistent and low in their intensity and long duration, predominantly aerobic. Boxing, especially as you move up the weights is extremely anaerobic in nature.

Partly depending on style, you're not a marathon runner, you're a sprinter who needs to be able to sprint repeatedly and then make up the oxygen debt inbetween rounds.

I'd suggest researching sarcoplasmic hypertrophy versus myofibular hypertrophy to better understand why gaining 'muscle' can hurt some fighters, but not others.

Boxing has a way to go in terms of strength and conditioning, guys like Bruno trained more like bodybuilders, hence the phobia the sport still has.

Whether Joshua has put on 20lb usefully or not remains to be seen, but the fact remains 20lb on him is not suspicious alone.
    We will all just have to take your word for it

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If only whyte had Ross to give him advice, poor him
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We will all just have to take your word for it
    Still finding that Humble Pie hard to swallow Ross?

Thread Information