Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Exactly how good was Terry Norris?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Exactly how good was Terry Norris?

I was very impressed by the highlight i posted where he beat Sugar Ray Leonard at his own game, but how good was Terry Norris really?
    He was an great record to say the least, but i rarely ever hear about him ever mentioned among the greats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Exactly how good was Terry Norris?

Talking about Terry Norris is like talking about Zab Judah. Which Terry Norris? The one when Teryr Noris showed up or the one when he didn't?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good fighter, could have been even better, very fast, good power, wasn't disciplined enough, little chinny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He only beat old an old Leonard... either than that he was great Julian Jackson kicked his ass if I recall... He is like Zab Judah in that if he fights good opponents he loses, and if he fights bad ones he looked good... unless he wasn't focused... which against is like Judah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Talking about Terry Norris is like talking about Zab Judah. Which Terry Norris? The one when Teryr Noris showed up or the one when he didn't?
    I believe that Terry Norris was far better than Judah. Except for a few debacles, 1st in 1987 against Joe Walker (1st round disqualification) and then in July of 1989 against Julian Jackson (2nd round knockout), Norris dominated the junior middleweight division from 1989 through 1993:

http://boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=000532

Look at how many times Norris defended the WBC Light Middleweight Title, and look at the guys he beat during the period between his loss to Jackson and his shocking loss to Simon Brown in Dec. 1993. I was a Simon Brown fan, but the way Norris totally befuddled and outclassed Brown in the rematch signalled the end of Simon's career as a world class fighter.

Anway, even though boxrec.com's ranking system is seriously flawed, they definitely got it right when they have Terry Norris as the best light middleweight of all time. Zab Judah isn't anywhere close to that level, at least yet, and I doubt that he ever will be.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw most every Terry Norris fight, beginning with #7 I believe. He was very fast of hand and foot, threw excellant combinations and could punch with lots of power. Had 6 or 7 one punch kos, including one over Steve Littles who later won a title at 168. (his only stoppage loss) Lackof discipline, defense and weak chin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An excellent topic. i rememeber watching TN and was of the view he was a competent boxer who came around at the right time. A lot of the big names on his record were past their prime when they fought him.

This doesnt take away from him being a very good fighter or the legitimate champion at the time.

Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    I saw most every Terry Norris fight, beginning with #7 I believe. He was very fast of hand and foot, threw excellant combinations and could punch with lots of power. Had 6 or 7 one punch kos, including one over Steve Littles who later won a title at 168. (his only stoppage loss) Lackof discipline, defense and weak chin
    Norris' balance and coordination were among the best I've ever seen. He rarely if ever lunged and was on balance all the time after throwing a shot. As a pure athlete he wasn't far behind Roy Jones Junior or Floyd Mayweather Junior. His cockiness and hot-headedness were probably responsible for his occasional defensive lapses.

What I never understood was why he had a persistent tendency to hit other fighters when they were down or after the bell rang ending a round. He didn't need to do that. He could have won without any of that dirty stuff. He was disqualified 3 times during his career, just about a record for a modern champion.

El Kabong Guest

Terry Norris.....he was terrible

you get it? It's his nickname, and I used it to describe how he fought....eh I guess you had to be there

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Thats probably the ONLY way they can be compared!!! THE ONLY!!!!That they both were immature and head head problems.....

Terry was a far better fighter, champion and puncher then Zab.....
    As it was pointed out by mokele

Thread Information