Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Guys who punch and guys who don't

I'm sure I'm in the vast minority regarding this, but it really gripes me when I watch fights when you can just flat out tell that guys are touching someone else's face just for the sake of points. I'm not talking about the 12th or 30th rounds when someone's so tired they can barely stand. I'm talking about the guys from round one that are only concerned about making any kind of contact JUST to score points. I know some guys just naturally don't have that much power, but you can TELL when someone's not putting their ass behind a punch. I've only been in a gym for a few weeks now and I've just started sparring a bit, so maybe I don't have the full picture, but everytime I throw a punch, be it a jab or an hook, it's purpose is to hurt the other guy. Just thought I'd throw that out there and get some opinions
    Down Goes Frazier!!! Down Goes Frazier!!! Down Goes Frazier!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Guys who punch and guys who don't

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cosell
    I'm sure I'm in the vast minority regarding this, but it really gripes me when I watch fights when you can just flat out tell that guys are touching someone else's face just for the sake of points. I'm not talking about the 12th or 30th rounds when someone's so tired they can barely stand. I'm talking about the guys from round one that are only concerned about making any kind of contact JUST to score points. I know some guys just naturally don't have that much power, but you can TELL when someone's not putting their a** behind a punch. I've only been in a gym for a few weeks now and I've just started sparring a bit, so maybe I don't have the full picture, but everytime I throw a punch, be it a jab or an hook, it's purpose is to hurt the other guy. Just thought I'd throw that out there and get some opinions

some punches are thrown to feel the distance or sometimes to keep the smaller fighter at a distant...like a jab...a perfect example lennox lewis keeps his oppenent at a distant with his jab...some fighters throw valuem of punches...such as when the oppenent is against the ropes and the aggressor throws combinations of punches not as hard as a str8 right or left but...the valuem the many punches can affect a lot or as much as 1 solid power punch...but theiR are cases wheRe fighter throw punches only to win round with no intention of knocking out or knockind down oppenents...glen johnson does very well...he hits you anywhere he can...it may not seem to hurt...but the number of punches he lands will later slow you down...another case floyd exellent counters thRows to hurt you and with the number he throws after a counter is meant to embarress you...theiR aRe a lot of ways to thRow a punch...some fighters head hunt some punishes the body some hits u anywhere they can and some just trys to win rounds if slaping u they have to they will...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also when fighters are tied up at close range it is a good strategy to throw continuous light punches to the face. This covers your opponents eyes and makes it hard for them to throw anything worth while at you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand the little nuances of when you throw a punch simply to open up an opportunity for a bigger blow... I guess it's hard to explain, I can't exactly remember what fight I was watching when this hit me, but I know I've seen it several times. Just seems that there are an abundance of guys out there that make their livings simply surviving and not really trying to make a statement... I guess that's why I'm such a fan of Gatti, he may not be the best, but he goes out there everytime trying to rearrange the facial structure of his opponents, and since this is a game of aggression, I appreciate his dedication.
    Down Goes Frazier!!! Down Goes Frazier!!! Down Goes Frazier!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by babyboNe
    I'm sure I'm in the vast minority regarding this, but it really gripes me when I watch fights when you can just flat out tell that guys are touching someone else's face just for the sake of points. I'm not talking about the 12th or 30th rounds when someone's so tired they can barely stand. I'm talking about the guys from round one that are only concerned about making any kind of contact JUST to score points. I know some guys just naturally don't have that much power, but you can TELL when someone's not putting their a** behind a punch. I've only been in a gym for a few weeks now and I've just started sparring a bit, so maybe I don't have the full picture, but everytime I throw a punch, be it a jab or an hook, it's purpose is to hurt the other guy. Just thought I'd throw that out there and get some opinions
    Lewis' jab hurt opponents tho... when he threw it properly his opponent felt it, and it would snap their head back. The few times he didn't he had tough nights. I like poeple like Roy Jones Jr., Floyd Mayweather Jr., James Toney, Ricky Hatton who only throw meaningful well thought out punches usually.
    some punches are thrown to feel the distance or sometimes to keep the smaller fighter at a distant...like a jab...a perfect example lennox lewis keeps his oppenent at a distant with his jab...some fighters throw valuem of punches...such as when the oppenent is against the ropes and the aggressor throws combinations of punches not as hard as a str8 right or left but...the valuem the many punches can affect a lot or as much as 1 solid power punch...but theiR are cases wheRe fighter throw punches only to win round with no intention of knocking out or knockind down oppenents...glen johnson does very well...he hits you anywhere he can...it may not seem to hurt...but the number of punches he lands will later slow you down...another case floyd exellent counters thRows to hurt you and with the number he throws after a counter is meant to embarress you...theiR aRe a lot of ways to thRow a punch...some fighters head hunt some punishes the body some hits u anywhere they can and some just trys to win rounds if slaping u they have to they will...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't forget fatigue either.
    Guys don't wanna be putting absolutely everything they have in every punch only to miss and be completely drained early on.

AC-Cobra Guest

I understand the little nuances of when you throw a punch simply to open up an opportunity for a bigger blow... I guess it's hard to explain, I can't exactly remember what fight I was watching when this hit me, but I know I've seen it several times. Just seems that there are an abundance of guys out there that make their livings simply surviving and not really trying to make a statement... I guess that's why I'm such a fan of Gatti, he may not be the best, but he goes out there everytime trying to rearrange the facial structure of his opponents, and since this is a game of aggression, I appreciate his dedication.
    I wouldnt be surprised if the fight you were watching was Audley Harrison vs Danny Williams. I've got to be honest, I hadnt paid much attention to Audley's career as I didnt like him as a fighter, I knew that he'd knocked a lot of opponents out though so was excited for the fight initially..

Then the fight came, I swear Audley was throwing punches like a 12year old girl. I've always wondered whether this is how he fights (in which case how did they find saps to get KO'd by him!) or whether he was just scared of Danny and was dedtermined to create a boring fight he might win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SVENN OTTKE!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but everytime I throw a punch, be it a jab or an hook, it's purpose is to hurt the other guy. Just thought I'd throw that out there and get some opinions
    On a side note, you could do with reassessing that technique mate.

As has been detailed above sometimes a punch is thrown to create distance as a defensive meseaure.

But far more important than that, is when you throw a combination its often only the last punch with you wish to 'hurt' them with. For example, You'll double up a jab to break the guard and create an opening then its the big right.

If you loaded up with all your shots, one you are losing speed - but two hes just gonna back off you and you will be hitting glove all evening.

Finally in the amatuer game the object is not to 'hurt' your oppenent, its to hit and not get hit. hence the protection etc.

However i do see your point mate, a boxer that comes to mind for is Femi Fehintola

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=214398

Who is apparently a prospect but whenever i see him i think hes terrible - his 12 first fights were one is expected to stop more than those who last the distance without a single stoppage (no 4 rounders all 6 or 8 as well!) And finally stopped a guy by TKO who had lost 22 of which 20 were by stoppage....

He lacks power anyway, but he does what you complained about and is just lazy, putting the rounds in the bank without doing anything more.

Can't wait to see a real prospect like: Khan, Meager, Stewart, Mitchell to knock him out.

Thread Information