Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Would Audley Harrison Beat Charles Martin?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Would Audley Harrison Beat Charles Martin?

I think he would

styles make fights and all, Audley wouldn't be under the type of pressure that made him fold

at his best, audley could beat martin, and probably by Knock out
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would Audley Harrison Beat Charles Martin?

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    I think he would

styles make fights and all, Audley wouldn't be under the type of pressure that made him fold

at his best, audley could beat martin, and probably by Knock out

I know you have a thing for all UK heavyweights.
    And believe me.... I'm fully on board with the likes of Fury and AJ.

But this is where we part company.
    Funny you mention the word "fold".
    It's exactly the description of what would happen to Audley against Martin.
    Only question is whether it would be in Rounds 1, 2, or 3.
    It's what Audley does.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In all seriousness, Audley clearly had talent, you don't win an Olympic Gold medal without that, and IMO he won his Gold better than AJ Won his ( I thought he lost twice ). But the mental side of the sport has to be considered and believe me, Audley is fucking mental!!!!
    It's a bit disrespectful to Martin , seeing as we haven't seen a great deal of him.
    You could say does Olympic winning Audley beat Olympic winning AJ ? And I would say yes, he probably does.
    But after all said and done , what does it mean?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No. Never ever would Audley beat Martin. How poor do you think Martin is?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've only seen Martin in this last fight and he didn't look that good. So I really have no idea. But why does it matter anyways? That's like asking could Corrie Sanders beat povetkin. Who cares?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's the principle of the thing. Obviously the only consideration here is that Audley's British, and Martin is not. As I said, there's an exciting young group of UK HW prospects out there (well.... a prospect and a champion). But let's not get carried away and make believe Audley is something he's not.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    It's the principle of the thing. Obviously the only consideration here is that Audley's British, and Martin is not. As I said, there's an exciting young group of UK HW prospects out there (well.... a prospect and a champion). But let's not get carried away and make believe Audley is something he's not.
    I think you are being a bit unfair with that assertion. We have for over a hundred years had a very good, tough and demanding domestic scene here in Britain. So we are more than capable of being able to assess when fighters are incapable of stepping up, and when the gulf is too big. I think Eric has a point. It easy to just trot out the "OH Audley will fold, that's what he does" line but actually earlier in his career (post Olympics) after losing to Danny Williams and then Sprott he fought them again and beat them. So yeah an Audley now might struggle, but the guy can clump a bit and even with having issues with his mental game, could still knock a lot of HW's spark out. Unlikely but not impossible.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Audley lost his desire to win quite a while ago because that became his principle problem.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he only had a brain.

No denying the mans talent but he was vacant upstairs. I was in total agreement with Lennox when he suggested that Audley was his heir. I fully admit to being early on his band wagon. Needless to say I was shocked and dismayed by his loses to Guinn and Williams. I held on thinking they'd turn into a positive and saw a little light with the Williams rematch and then Sprott happened. He had all the tools but no processor.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    If he only had a brain.

No denying the mans talent but he was vacant upstairs. I was in total agreement with Lennox when he suggested that Audley was his heir. I fully admit to being early on his band wagon. Needless to say I was shocked and dismayed by his loses to Guinn and Williams. I held on thinking they'd turn into a positive and saw a little light with the Williams rematch and then Sprott happened. He had all the tools but no processor.
    The Guinn fight was funny, because he was kind of the American version of Audley. Huge guys who seemed to have all the tools and just couldn't put anything together against good fighters. The only decent guys Audley ever beat were well past their best and he needed two go's at each of them. On the flip side, Martin doesn't look to have that much talent, hasn't fought anyone yet, and it's possible he goes the same way so who knows.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think you are being a bit unfair with that assertion. We have for over a hundred years had a very good, tough and demanding domestic scene here in Britain. So we are more than capable of being able to assess when fighters are incapable of stepping up, and when the gulf is too big. I think Eric has a point. It easy to just trot out the "OH Audley will fold, that's what he does" line but actually earlier in his career (post Olympics) after losing to Danny Williams and then Sprott he fought them again and beat them. So yeah an Audley now might struggle, but the guy can clump a bit and even with having issues with his mental game, could still knock a lot of HW's spark out. Unlikely but not impossible.

Obviously the guy has pop. Big, strong guy with a decent KO percentage on his record. But every time he stepped up to the big stage, he had a propensity to lose via spectacular early round KTFO. It's the HW's, so anything can happen..... a lucky punch, and the fight turns. But the guy's record speaks for itself.

Beyond that, however, it's Eric's stone clad assertion on the matter. The same Eric who calls Frank Bruno the best fighter (not HW..... fighter) over six rounds in the history of boxing, p4p. He also unabashedly calls the still rising AJ "the most exciting heavyweight since Iron Mike Tyson." Do you detect a pattern here?

So when you say... "we are more than capable of being able to assess when fighters are incapable of stepping up, and when the gulf is too big"..... you're casting your net over a whole bunch of people. This is one of those things where you have to individualize. Maybe substituting "I am" for "we are" would go over a bit better.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the mind of Harrison he coulda, shoulda, and woulda beat a lot of guys. I think Martin beats him in the manner of Guinn only with a better jab.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think audley would win

he wouldn't come flying at audley throwing lots of hard punches

hes a boxer mainly and would try and box him, audley is bigger and hits harder, I think audley would box him back and could well knock him out

styles make fights

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Audley had the "style" to beat a lot of guys, but not the heart or the output. His first two losses to Williams and Guinn he was hardly under any pressure at all, his first KO loss was against Michael Sprott who I don't believe ever knocked anyone else worth mentioning out. I'm in agreement that if you took him when he was undefeated against Martin currently, it could go either way. In hindsight though, that's basically assuming MArtin is shit

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah martin might be good

Thread Information