You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky has been a two weight Champion, why not give him a shot look at Groves three shots failed at all three! a former Champ like Burns may just pull it off.
    After all we can't call him a nearly man can we I like Burns a decent guy.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, he's a nice bloke, no doubt. But is that the criteria now? He had some bad losses (and gift decisions) at the weight below and was basically shot. Infact , he was odds on for retirement .
    So he goes up a weight , into what has probably been one of the better quality/prestigious divisions of recent times, does absolutely sweet FA and gets a World title shot.
    Ricky Burns is a genuine down to earth guy and I like him, but how this becomes a World Title bout I will never know. He's only ranked 14 in their rankings ffs.
    As for Di Rocco, I'm not sure if he's worthy of a World title shot, but at least he has a decent record at the weight and has been fighting many years in that division waiting for his shot and maybe on that basis deserves it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is this a joke or what?

Leave Ricky alone, it is for WBA title which means it is a quality prestigious title.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Leave Ricky alone, it is for WBA title which means it is a quality prestigious title.
    Keep believing Master. But what you don't realise is that when Burns or Di Rocco wins this title (and I do think Di Rocco might do him), then they'll have to make Broner SUPER CHAMPION of this "Prestigious" title.
    Do you like that? 😂😂😂😂

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Keep believing Master. But what you don't realise is that when Burns or Di Rocco wins this title (and I do think Di Rocco might do him), then they'll have to make Broner SUPER CHAMPION of this "Prestigious" title.
    Do you like that? 😂😂😂😂
    Who cares? Broner does not.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Fres Oquendo is still ranked for title shots, why not Burns.

What a great ranking system boxing has.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't mind seeing burns getting another title shot he's had 3 defeats in the last 10 years all to undefeated fighters and I know he's got 1 or 2 gifts but I think he won the Figueroa fight, so happy to see him get probably his last shot at a title.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, he's a nice bloke, no doubt. But is that the criteria now? He had some bad losses (and gift decisions) at the weight below and was basically shot. Infact , he was odds on for retirement .
    So he goes up a weight , into what has probably been one of the better quality/prestigious divisions of recent times, does absolutely sweet FA and gets a World title shot.
    Ricky Burns is a genuine down to earth guy and I like him, but how this becomes a World Title bout I will never know. He's only ranked 14 in their rankings ffs.
    As for Di Rocco, I'm not sure if he's worthy of a World title shot, but at least he has a decent record at the weight and has been fighting many years in that division waiting for his shot and maybe on that basis deserves it.

The problem here is not Burns, but you. You are giving the WBA too much credit; a world title fight nowadays is a diluted product. Look at the 140lbs division, figure out in your mind who most deserves to be champ, and then consider his fights as world title fights; and when that line breaks down; repeat...

That way Burns can fight and make a little extra cash because some still buy into alphabet titles, but you will know who the real champ is!
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post

The problem here is not Burns, but you. You are giving the WBA too much credit; a world title fight nowadays is a diluted product. Look at the 140lbs division, figure out in your mind who most deserves to be champ, and then consider his fights as world title fights; and when that line breaks down; repeat...

That way Burns can fight and make a little extra cash because some still buy into alphabet titles, but you will know who the real champ is!
    So why don't we get rid of all the titles if they're as meaningless as you say.
    I'm not naive enough to think it's not about the money first,second and third. But everyone's all too keen to talk about these "12 British World Champions" or the Boxing boom because of that. Doesn't seem to matter so much that these titles are "diluted" then does it?
    If Mexico or Puerto Rico or Nicaragua even, had as much Money as Britain, they would double the World champs that Britain has. Too many people aren't EARNING their shot.
    It's no good saying "he's a nice bloke" or "he was an ex-champ at the division below", he's done nothing to earn a shot in THIS DIVISION.
    Martyn Murray, Paul Smith, Tony Bellew, Dereck Chisora. There are loads of other examples, all fighting endless World Title shots without doing Jack shit to earn it.
    Finally , your point about "knowing who the real champ is", yes, quite right. Super Bantamweight for example, why should Frampton and Quigg earn the best money in the Division while continually avoiding the man who everybody knows is "the real champ"
    Doesn't help Rigo's bank balance though does it?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not naive enough to think it's not about the money first,second and third. But everyone's all too keen to talk about these "12 British World Champions" or the Boxing boom because of that. Doesn't seem to matter so much that these titles are "diluted" then does it?
    If Mexico or Puerto Rico or Nicaragua even, had as much Money as Britain, they would double the World champs that Britain has. Too many people aren't EARNING their shot.
    It's no good saying "he's a nice bloke" or "he was an ex-champ at the division below", he's done nothing to earn a shot in THIS DIVISION.
    Martyn Murray, Paul Smith, Tony Bellew, Dereck Chisora. There are loads of other examples, all fighting endless World Title shots without doing Jack shit to earn it.
    Finally , your point about "knowing who the real champ is", yes, quite right. Super Bantamweight for example, why should Frampton and Quigg earn the best money in the Division while continually avoiding the man who everybody knows is "the real champ"
    You have answered your own question about why titles exist (money).

As for the Rigo, you make a good point. But part of the blame is Rigo's and his management. He either needs to change his style or change his promoter to get the fights I agree he deserves. If he does not want to, he needs to accept others will also use their free will too and choose not to fight him.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have answered your own question about why titles exist (money).

As for the Rigo, you make a good point. But part of the blame is Rigo's and his management. He either needs to change his style or change his promoter to get the fights I agree he deserves. If he does not want to, he needs to accept others will also use their free will too and choose not to fight him.
    I just believe that the best should earn the most. I know it's a bit idealistic, but what bugs me is people that fall for hype and hype only.
    Tbf to you Britkid, I just did a limited bit of homework and looked at some of your back posts, and you have been very consistent about your views on Titles and their meanings, so I respect what views on this.

Thread Information