Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Leonard v Hagler

I've scored the fight 20 times with multiple people also scoring it. The best I could ever come up with in Leonards case is a draw. I just can’t find the clear win for Leonard at all or win period even though Hagler practically gave him the first 2 rounds fighting right handed which he also did with Mugabi. In the end I just don’t think Leonard did enough to take the "undisputed" title even though Hagler was stripped of some tin prior, during or after.

Leonard played it perfectly though and literaaly stole rounds just as Ali did. He also played the 12rd demand perfectly. He had no legs left. I doubt he would have made it out of 13th standing up.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can not see how you can score it for Hagler unless you count punches that do not hit. Halger was missing most of his punches and gave away more then just few rounds. 115-113 for Leonard the only scores i really came up with but to each his own thats a fight i really don't care to argue about.
    Last edited by Master; 04-03-2016 at 02:32 AM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leonard's punches were not landing effectively and Hagler blocked most of them. Leonard also dazzled and played the crowd, whereas Hagler did the effective but less eye catching work. Hagler was thumping body shots when they were close. these punches were not counted but Leoards misses were.

The fact that Sugar Ray had come back after so many years took the hearts from fans and judges.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who's arguing? I'm simply saying I can’t find the win for Leonard. It's not the only fight in history with a questionable ending and it certainly won’t be the last. Its just a higher profile one. Many factors at play here. Leonard was the poster child and as big as Ali or Mayweather was. Hagler was the bully bad ass through and through. Even that affected the scoring imo.

The official results show Leonard winning. They also show him taking Lalondes 175 title. Devils in the details.

Arvid_85 Guest

I will rewatch the fight for fun and put up a score. I have never scored it before, will be fun.
    My personal Hagler-Leonard type of fight was Trinidad- De La Hoya. Man i've scored that fight so many times, and the scores have always changed over the years. Is it a thread on that fight?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hagler was obviously deeply affected by the result of the fact. He developed a cocaine habit and started abusing his wife. It's documented with the Boston Police Department.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just saying i do not feel that it is that questionable decision have Leonard by 115-113 do not feel that it was shady decision at all it was close fight. I go back and rematch it but Leonard easily won most of opening and then there were a lot of close rounds during the fight as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just rewatch the fight and tell you the truth everyone talking about how Leonard looked tiered well Halger looked just as dead the man was throwing punches at wide open Leonard on the ropes and missed damn near every punch. I have Leonard winning 1,2,3,4,5,6,11 could give him 10 if wanted the first rounds are clearest won rounds out Hagler or Leonard. Most of the Fight it is Halger chasing around Leonard and getting jab and when he gets to the ropes he strait misses most of his punches. People Talking about flash at the rounds well it was better then Hagler plodding missing his punches Leonard all the way on that fight re watching makes it even more clear to me was better fight then i remember. Say what you want but i still can not believe the motor Leonard had after being out of the ring that long was amazing man.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keep in mind. This card is from 8 years ago and it was done with me trying to see what others have wanted me to see for years. I went into this trying to find a way for Leonard to win. Most times I scored it I had it 115/113 Hagler This is the exact card word for word because I kept it because aia couldn’t believe I scored it a draw. I have never found a way to give Ray the win. He should never have walked away with the undisputed middleweight crown. The story unfortunately wrote itself.

Btw this Wednesday will be 34 years since the fight.
    1-Ray. Not much of a round to score. I gave it to Leonard and just counted those that landed.
    2-Ray-Again I gave it to Leonard but I can easily see it going to Marvin. Leonard though did his Ali impression in the last half minute.
    3-Hagler-Frustrating round to score. Either guy could have eeked it out. I give it to Hagler as it really becomes obvious here that Leonard is trying to steal rounds not win them.
    4-Ray. Leonard by a slim margin. Hagler appears frustrated.
    5-Hagler. Haglers rd although Leonard looked flashy at the start. Hagler finally cut the ring off somewhat.
    6-Ray. This one to Leonard, he simply landed more w/o fighting.
    7-Hgler. Hagler as he looks to start finding the range. Leonard looks spent.
    8-Hagler. He just followed up from 7 and Leonard took the round off.
    9-Ray. This was the toughest to score thus far. I gave it to Leonard this time but if I watch this fight next week it could go to Hagler.
    10-Hagler. Leonard fighting as if he knows he has the judges. Hagler fighting as if he knows this also now.
    11-Ray. Leonard controls this round on all levels and is cocky doing it.
    12-Hagler, Hagler in a last ditch effort to close.

114/114

So card up!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well if that what you saw then i repsect it and put up card you had. I find it funny you even gave Leonard a round a was not expecting for me i feel Leonard won it more clearly because first round are the clearest won rounds. Anyway i just watch it the other day before posting it was a run match.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Well if that what you saw then i repsect it and put up card you had. I find it funny you even gave Leonard a round a was not expecting for me i feel Leonard won it more clearly because first round are the clearest won rounds. Anyway i just watch it the other day before posting it was a run match.

That’s cool and I don’t ridicule those who picked Leonard. It was a damn close fight bit when you see clowns like Guerra calling it 118-110 or 9 to 3 one realizes that Hagler had more than winning a close fight stacked against him.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

118-110 is 10 to 2 rounds.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information