Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gervonta Davis. Next star or next also ran?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gervonta Davis. Next star or next also ran?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    According to Ranallo, Al and Jim Grey the questions finally been answered . Had to. For whatever the flaws career trajectory and competition wise, the mans improved just a bit.
    The commentary was way over the top and nauseating. Davis has improved and has some huge fights in front of him but somehow I think he will end up like Broner. He should get rid of "hanger on's" like Floyd.

and lay off eating $70 bucks worth of sugar and candy while camp....
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shakur Stevenson told TMZ: “I felt Tank looked sharp, he looked real sharp, he boxed real good.

“I think Ryan was like pre-school, Ryan wasn’t on that top level.

“When they speak about the ‘Four Kings’, all of the ‘Four Kings’ were special, great fighters and I don’t think Ryan was on that kind of level, I don’t think Ryan was that good.

“I ain’t taking no credit away from Tank, Tank did what he was supposed to do, but Ryan just wasn’t that.”

Asked if he wants to face Davis, Stevenson said: “I would love that fight.

“I think that’s the biggest and best fight in the sport of boxing.

“You’ve got special fighters that come around. You got like a Michael Jordan that came around in his era. Then you got a LeBron James that came around in his era.

“But they weren’t in the same era so we never got to see them go against each other.

“With me and Tank, you’ve got two special fighters that have been special our whole careers and our whole lives.

“When it comes down to it, it’s going to be the biggest and best fight in boxing.

“The people who really know boxing going to tell you that’s the big fight and I agree with them. I think that that’s the biggest fight.”

Sadly though, when asked to give a realistic timeframe for the fight to happen, Stevenson admitted he is not massively confident that it will materialise in the very near future.

“I’m ready right now, I’m ready right now,” he insisted, “But I think it’s depending on what he wants to do. He’s the cash cow, he’s the A-side.

“He can pick and choose right now. He’s at that point.

“He’s like at the Floyd Mayweather point where he can go, ‘I’ll fight him, I’ll fight him, but I’ll wait to fight him.’

“He’s got that type of leverage right now so it’s all up to him. Nothing but respect to what he just did, I respect it.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...yd-mayweather/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See now... I can GET behind a Shakur vs Tank fight. THAT would merit all the hype it gets. See... here's the difference between a fight like that, and what we just witnessed. Shakur has been fighting credible and dangerous opposition almost since Day One. AND... he's been doing it relatively quietly. He doesn't wear a damn crown on his head... he doesn't claim to be the next face of boxing. He just goes out there and does his job. He doesn't have a billion groupies on social media, fawning over everything he does. His resume is ten times better than the Pauper's resume.

So hell yeah I'd get behind a fight like that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    See now... I can GET behind a Shakur vs Tank fight. THAT would merit all the hype it gets. See... here's the difference between a fight like that, and what we just witnessed. Shakur has been fighting credible and dangerous opposition almost since Day One. AND... he's been doing it relatively quietly. He doesn't wear a damn crown on his head... he doesn't claim to be the next face of boxing. He just goes out there and does his job. He doesn't have a billion groupies on social media, fawning over everything he does. His resume is ten times better than the Pauper's resume.

i think davis must like fighting these bigger guys because he can punch in between all those big wide punches he makes them throw. boxing has a sort of gravity, a kind of push and pull, and the way davis fights is to deliberately create a lot of pull and pull out those big wide punches to punch in between. he just has to sort of wait it out and let the effect manifest itself. ryan said he got bored, but, did he get bored, or did tank's effect kick in? that will be very, very hard to do to stevenson.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post

i think davis must like fighting these bigger guys because he can punch in between all those big wide punches he makes them throw. boxing has a sort of gravity, a kind of push and pull, and the way davis fights is to deliberately create a lot of pull and pull out those big wide punches to punch in between. he just has to sort of wait it out and let the effect manifest itself. ryan said he got bored, but, did he get bored, or did tank's effect kick in? that will be very, very hard to do to stevenson.
    Does Usyk do the same with the heavyweights he faces particularly AJ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

usyk is more stationary. tank moves and makes himself small and compact to get you lunging and reaching to hit him, and once he can get you doing that, he can explode into those big openings he pulled out of you. he fights a little bit like a sink drain moving around in the ring. but he doesn't punch a lot, because he wants you doing all the punching. and all of this combines into the feeling of impatience described by ryan garcia.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post

Wait... Ryan said he got bored??

Can't say I'd be surprised if he did... as this is the time when the excuses come flooding out. Why should Ryan be any different?

Watching the sequence leading up to the first knockdown... I noticed how Davis ducked a few Ryan flurries that seemed to come one after the other. His boxing computer was taking that information all in... so that when the next flurry came (also, Ryan seemed bent on landing that check hook)... Davis was ready with the counter and it worked to perfection.

I would expect Davis vs Stevenson to be a much different fight. Stevenson's much too polished to fall into those traps.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the ring removed juan francisco estrada to make room for tank in their pound for pound
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wait... Ryan said he got bored??

Can't say I'd be surprised if he did... as this is the time when the excuses come flooding out. Why should Ryan be any different?

Watching the sequence leading up to the first knockdown... I noticed how Davis ducked a few Ryan flurries that seemed to come one after the other. His boxing computer was taking that information all in... so that when the next flurry came (also, Ryan seemed bent on landing that check hook)... Davis was ready with the counter and it worked to perfection.

I would expect Davis vs Stevenson to be a much different fight. Stevenson's much too polished to fall into those traps.
    he says in the post fight press conference that he was getting bored and thats why he was running into shots. but i think davis was the reason for both of those things. a bigger man's punches will have bigger arcs and with davis being small like master pointed out about usyk they can insert their smaller quicker punches into those bigger wider gulfs - provided they can get them to load up on big shots like that. tank cant do that to stevenson. i dont think tank beats stevenson. i dont think stevenson loses a fight to anybody for a while.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GERVONTA DAVIS has been put on house arrest for 90 days for his involvement in a 2020 hit-and-run.

The boxing pound-for-pound superstar's career has been put on hold after his sentencing in Baltimore, Maryland.

Davis admitted to fleeing the scene of a car accident in 2020, after his Lamborghini Urus smashed into a car carrying four people - including a pregnant woman.

Davis was in the car with two other people when he ran a red light.

All three left the scene before officers could assist.

The fighter entered a guilty plea including a sentence of 60 days of unsupervised home detention.

One of the passengers in the other car, Jyair Smith, spoke out against the plea deal.

"I begged Mr. Gervonta Davis, I looked him in his eyes," Davis said.

"I said, ‘I have to get home to my daughter, I’m pregnant.’ He never once came over to help me."

The 90-day house arrest is a far cry from the maximum penalty of 50 months in prison if found guilty.

The new sentencing comes days after Davis secured a significant win over fighting superstar Ryan Garcia.

Davis destroyed Garcia in their hugely-anticipated catchweight clash with a seventh-round body shot KO.

The rousing defeat catapulted Davis' stardom, with many speculating he may be the new face of the sport.

Now, his sentence calls into question if he will be allowed into the boxing ring again.

The fight was allowed to take place after sentencing was delayed so the pair could finally clash.

In a separate incident, Broward County Police arrested Davis in February after he allegedly hit a woman using a "closed hand type slap."

The woman suffered a small cut on the inside of her mouth from the alleged contact, according to the incident report.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22267...-garcia-fight/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gervonta Davis will no longer have to stand trial for the domestic violence battery charge against him from December as it has been dropped by prosecutors.

The 28-year-old American boxing star was arrested and jailed on December 27 in Broward County, Florida, charged with battery causing bodily harm in an altercation with his girlfriend Vanessa Posso - who is also the mother of his second daughter.

The police report alleged that Davis struck a woman on her head with a 'closed hand type slap'.

It added that this caused her to suffer 'a small abrasion to the inside of her upper lip'.

He was released from custody on $1,000 bail the next day and hit out in a statement in which he said: "I never put my hands on my child's mother nor my f***ing daughter. I'm not a monster."

Posso released a statement of her own soon afterwards, saying she made 'an unnecessary call to law enforcement' and wanted to put the situation to bed.

She then made an official legal request for the charge to be dropped which read: “Before me, the undersigned authority, personally appeared, who, after being by me duty sworn, stated the following under oath.

"I have been listed as the purported victim in the above-styled case against my boyfriend, Gervonta Davis, whom I am aware was arrested on December 27, 2022, for domestic battery by the Parkland Police Department.

"Without any hesitation or reservation whatsoever, I want to advise the Court and the State Attorney, that it is my absolute, complete, and full desire that this criminal prosecution be withdrawn and terminated, and that the Office of the State Attorney dismiss any and all such charges against Gervonta Davis.

“I do not want to testify in this case.

"If the charges are dismissed, and this prosecution terminated as I wish, I will not in any way hold the Office of the State Attorney, the Parkland Police Department, or anyone else responsible for dismissing the charges, for any actions of Gervonta Davis or for any other result that may occur following such dismissal.

"I am signing this affidavit of non-prosecution of my own free will, knowingly, freely, voluntarily and intelligently.

"I have not been tricked, coerced or threatened in any way in order to sign this and no promise of any nature has been made in exchange for my execution of this affidavit.”

The prosecution initially opted to proceed despite this, which is to be expected in a domestic violence case, however the charge has now been dropped several months later.

In February 2020, Gervonta was previously arrested and charged in Miami with two misdemeanour counts of simple battery domestic violence on the mother of his first daughter Andretta Smothers at a charity basketball game. A video of this went viral on social media at the time.

The court case relating to that incident dragged on for nearly three years before the prosecution abandoned the charges on December 13, 2022, just before this latest incident.

Davis is currently still serving a 90-day home detention sentence after avoiding jail time earlier this month relating to his hit-and-run crash which injured four people in November 2020.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...-case-dropped/

Thread Information