Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gervonta Davis. Next star or next also ran?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gervonta Davis. Next star or next also ran?

Granted its very early at just 15-0 but the push and exposure this kid is receiving is massive. Mayweather himself is anointing him "the next me" and has tucked him firmly under his wing with promotion. Have seen him a few times now and I do not see the Mayweather style at all but more a seek and destroy southpaw with tremendous reflex. They have stepped up comp ever so slightly last few fights and he doesn't look impossible to hit and comes wide at times. On the other hand a top notch finisher and one punch hitter with either hand. Style wise a little bit Gamboa or maybe early Judah and I hope we haven't just cursed the guy . Also in contrast to an early Mayweather he is a humble guy with that personality 'pop' and has a sense of self awareness about him. I'm all in favor of matching a guy tough and hope they do so next out. A steady build and steer clear of trying to microwave rush him for the sake of early stardom and championship. That defense has holes but you can see the personality and underlying natural talent to mature and carry him along way. We have all seen 101 "next this or that" types come and go, guys rushed to market with stars in there eyes only to fall flat and never fully develop...Broner was on last nights card as well .. so we'll see what comes of it but starting to like this guy!

His fight before last night right here. The awkward torque he gets on the finisher pretty brutal! https://youtu.be/1j6WDZ0r_Lo

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gervonta Davis. Next star or next also ran?

Wow had that wrist bent downward any further with that punch he may have broken it. I have to say that its one of the first times that Tarver made any sense. I thought his criticism was bang on from getting caught with the uppercuts, to having no jab and Floyd getting in the way of his corner. If he got up and stood in front of me like he did others I'd tell him to sit the F down and if he said something like don't you know who I am I'd say yes now sit the F down so I can watch the fight I paid for and not the back of that polyester suit.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a natural hate for anyone associated with Floyd but Davis is talented and good. Wait and see how he does with better tests.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm not sold on him yet, i'd say we can judge once he steps up. He didn't have a easy time with his opponent. Davis did what he was supposed to do with the type of figher he was against.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His last fight was the first one I had seen of him and I wasn't impressed really at all. He had decent reflexes but he didn't have great power and he lunged in a lot. His opponent seemed to have a lot of good moments in the fight. Maybe I have to watch more of him but based off of that one fight, nothing tells me he will be a star of any sort.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have only watched a couple of bits of the fight but he doesn't have much of a jab, he's more comfortable throwing left hand leads than the jab with any precision. He's definitely got ability though but hey, who knows. Could be another Kermit Cintron. See what happens when he moves up in class.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    His last fight was the first one I had seen of him and I wasn't impressed really at all. He had decent reflexes but he didn't have great power and he lunged in a lot. His opponent seemed to have a lot of good moments in the fight. Maybe I have to watch more of him but based off of that one fight, nothing tells me he will be a star of any sort.
    His reflex is solid yeh, exactly on the lunging and think it offsets what has looked to be legit pop in both hands. If he doesn't sure up the jab and combinations he looks like a guy who could collect a lot of dumb punches jumping in overtime.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Granted its very early at just 15-0 but the push and exposure this kid is receiving is massive. Mayweather himself is anointing him "the next me" and has tucked him firmly under his wing with promotion. Have seen him a few times now and I do not see the Mayweather style at all but more a seek and destroy southpaw with tremendous reflex. They have stepped up comp ever so slightly last few fights and he doesn't look impossible to hit and comes wide at times. On the other hand a top notch finisher and one punch hitter with either hand. Style wise a little bit Gamboa or maybe early Judah and I hope we haven't just cursed the guy . Also in contrast to an early Mayweather he is a humble guy with that personality 'pop' and has a sense of self awareness about him. I'm all in favor of matching a guy tough and hope they do so next out. A steady build and steer clear of trying to microwave rush him for the sake of early stardom and championship. That defense has holes but you can see the personality and underlying natural talent to mature and carry him along way. We have all seen 101 "next this or that" types come and go, guys rushed to market with stars in there eyes only to fall flat and never fully develop...Broner was on last nights card as well .. so we'll see what comes of it but starting to like this guy!

His fight before last night right here. The awkward torque he gets on the finisher pretty brutal! https://youtu.be/1j6WDZ0r_Lo
    Never heard of him before now. So I youtubed him. He has obvious talent. Hard to judge though this early. He looks small though, with quite a thick, stocky build, so not sure how far he will be able to go up in weight. Totally different fighter to Mayweather though. A lot more aggressive, takes a lot more chances. He's just 21 and already racked of 15 straight wins. I can see him getting to 25-0 and then challenging for a belt. He's good fighter to have under the Mayweather banner, with Davis and Errol Spence in Mayweathers stable looks like we will be seeing the Mayweather name for many years to come.
    Last edited by denilson200; 04-07-2016 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well we know more about him now. His star is rising and his beat-down of Pedraza opened many eyes. Liam Walsh has been mentioned as a potential next opponent. I have been impressed with Walsh and I think he could cause a few issues. Davis lives up to that 'Tank' nickname tho. Damn.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I have a natural hate for anyone associated with Floyd but Davis is talented and good. Wait and see how he does with better tests.
    Hate is a strong word.

How can you hate greatness?
    (Ducks for cover)

https://youtu.be/OGrQaJm-2Ow
    Last edited by imp; 02-16-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

Never heard of him before now. So I youtubed him. He has obvious talent. Hard to judge though this early. He looks small though, with quite a thick, stocky build, so not sure how far he will be able to go up in weight. Totally different fighter to Mayweather though. A lot more aggressive, takes a lot more chances. He's just 21 and already racked of 15 straight wins. I can see him getting to 25-0 and then challenging for a belt. He's good fighter to have under the Mayweather banner, with Davis and Errol Spence in Mayweathers stable looks like we will be seeing the Mayweather name for many years to come.

He does look really small. I think he's going to struggle when he moves up in weight. Officially he's five six. He looks about five four.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

According to Ranallo, Al and Jim Grey the questions finally been answered . Had to. For whatever the flaws career trajectory and competition wise, the mans improved just a bit.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

According to Ranallo, Al and Jim Grey the questions finally been answered . Had to. For whatever the flaws career trajectory and competition wise, the mans improved just a bit.
    The commentary was way over the top and nauseating. Davis has improved and has some huge fights in front of him but somehow I think he will end up like Broner. He should get rid of "hanger on's" like Floyd.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The man just came out of a thrilling win and this is how you treat a warrior...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey... no hate over here for Gervonta. As far as I'm concerned he did boxing a favor by putting an emphatic lid on all this nonsense about PauperRy being the next face of boxing... when all the kid has done is amass a gargantuan following on Instagram and Tik Tok. For that I'm grateful. Not only that... but it was by KO.

But is Gervonta now "the next face of boxing"? Hell no! Just like Ryan wouldn't have been had he somehow beaten Tank. This is all part of the "I want it now" generation, which wants to take shortcuts to the top... rather than grind it out like the warriors of old used to do. Tank DOES need to call out the winner of Haney-Loma... and continue trying to ascend beyond that. Otherwise he's just an exciting boxing facade.

Thread Information