Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Spence vs Algieri

Nobody is excited about this? It can teach us a lot about the WW division. And also might provide a mandatory position against Brook.

To my mind Brook is the worst matchup for Spence in the division so I find it to be a curious route. But I appreciate his desire to take on Brook.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Spence vs Algieri

I'm very excited for this fight. I think it really shows us where Spence is at and if he is really ready for the big fights.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I'm very excited for this fight. I think it really shows us where Spence is at and if he is really ready for the big fights.
    Ditto.

Spence is poised to be the next big thing.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Ditto.

Spence is poised to be the next big thing.
    Yes, but does he have the goods? He looks the part but sometimes everything comes apart at that next step. I'm intrigued which doesn't happen in the sport as much as it should. Saturday we could say "the two best WWs are fighting in 2016"(Spence and Brook)or we could say Spence wasn't what he was said to be, or anything in between.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook's mandatory can't be enforced for around a year so don't expect that fight next (should Spence beat Algieri, of course).

Good test for Spence, in fact better than Brook's last three fights (that's coming from someone that believes Brook is the best welter in the world).
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook is the cream of the crop. He actually stands out by quite a margin in my mind but as @Fenster pointed out, he is doing himself a huge disservice but settling on mediocrity. Rather than demand people come to England, he should offer to go stateside again and thump out one of the posers. He was introduced with his great performance against Porter and then took a powder. He runs the risk of getting to comfortable and then getting surprised and beat by an Algieri type fighter himself.

For Spence and in this market of fickle, he'd be well advised not to execute his mandatory status should he beat Algieri. TMT and Haymon are joined at the hip and I bet it’s already been decided indirectly by Floyd that Haymon not make the fight. He should also be given a gag order that he not challenge Mr. Brook by offering to go to England. I doubt he decides anything. They would be wise to let it pass and if his mandatory claim is threatened agree to another eliminator. I think he has the goods to possibly beat Brook but there is no rush.

On the other hand, given Brooks last three opponents a decision to attempt now rather than a year or two might be perfect timing.

Lastly I actually don’t see Brook hanging around at 147 for that much longer. I'd bet he struggles in camp. The man is huge on fight night. Besides, Khan is still the money fight justified or not. I don’t know how much muscle mass Khan is adding on but I doubt he does a Roy Jones and melt back down. Of course should Amir pull a rabbit out of the hat and beat Alvarez, the first words out of his mouth will be Floyd Mayweather.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Brook's mandatory can't be enforced for around a year so don't expect that fight next (should Spence beat Algieri, of course).

Good test for Spence, in fact better than Brook's last three fights (that's coming from someone that believes Brook is the best welter in the world).
    Brook may well currently be the best WW in the World, but Spence is improving rapidly and fighting him in the near future is a risk for not that great money as Spence isn't a "big name" yet.
    a Year is realistically probably the fight after next. What Brook should do in his next fight is fight a major name , ideally a unification. that will be decent money , and if he wins, he'll buy some time for Spence to build his profile, so that when they do eventually fight, it's massive, Stateside or UK.
    Of course, that's not what will really happen. Brook will fight another relatively average fighter keeping warm for Khan and make the money that way. It may mean he even gives up the title. it could even end up being at a CW between WW & LMW. Brook has always struggled at the weight, and Khan probably won't be able to shift some of the fat he's gonna put on to fight Canelo.
    In my book he should forget about Khan and concentrate on making a legacy. nowadays fighters don't do that though.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook has lost basically all of his steam after beating Porter. He had a chance to become the legitimate best WW in the world but has just stagnated (which is what most boxers seem to do nowadays). Spence is going to become a big name IMO and soon enough, Brook is going to be asking for the Spence fight and not the other way around.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spence should chase Brooks down and say lets go champ! I just want to see Hearns face crapping himself.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good testing ground fight on paper and big jump for Spence. Algieri showed some bully and top confidence last out and we already know he can box well and fall back. It'll be all about his approach and Spence wanting to make massive statement. Spence is a big welter, he rolls punches very well and has serious pop in both hands. But he really lacks some head movement and can stand tall looking for power. If Chris comes forward trying to pressure he'll be chewed up and hurt. Eventually though he'll have to sit down and keep Spence off and can see him being outmuscled trying to clinch. Good experience and style for Spence to blueprint on if he is looking for Brook but he better be smart and understand this is no Brook. One thing at a time.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Good testing ground fight on paper and big jump for Spence. Algieri showed some bully and top confidence last out and we already know he can box well and fall back. It'll be all about his approach and Spence wanting to make massive statement. Spence is a big welter, he rolls punches very well and has serious pop in both hands. But he really lacks some head movement and can stand tall looking for power. If Chris comes forward trying to pressure he'll be chewed up and hurt. Eventually though he'll have to sit down and keep Spence off and can see him being outmuscled trying to clinch. Good experience and style for Spence to blueprint on if he is looking for Brook but he better be smart and understand this is no Brook. One thing at a time.
    His stationary head really gives me pause. I've seen many guys that looked like destroyers coming up step up and come apart when a good jab breaks their rhythm. I'm hoping to see Spence show a few more wrinkles Saturday.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    His stationary head really gives me pause. I've seen many guys that looked like destroyers coming up step up and come apart when a good jab breaks their rhythm. I'm hoping to see Spence show a few more wrinkles Saturday.
    Me too but I've never seen someone who looked anywhere near as good as Spence who ended up get taken apart by a good jab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm actually going to this fight tomorrow and hope it turns out like i imagine. Algieri may not have power, but he can take a punch. Spence could be the first person to knock him out, maybe mid to late in the fight. Either way i have Spence dominating, but you never know with these unproven prospects.

Gary Russell and Gamboa were two other world beaters, and both suffered knockouts to guys that at that time weren't a big deal (in regards to recognition, not talent). I blame that on bad management though, at least in Russells case. If i were a manager, id avoid guys like Lomachenko, rigondeaux, and other fighters in that tier like a plague. They aren't well known enough to generate nearly enough revenue with the amount of risk they possess. Rigondeaux may very well have the best footwork I've ever seen, kills me that he's so old.

However, in this case we know what we're getting with Algieri, so its more of whether Spence is as good as his hype. Hoping to see a fun fight and hopefully some nice action.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ez396979@yahoo.com View Post
    I'm actually going to this fight tomorrow and hope it turns out like i imagine. Algieri may not have power, but he can take a punch. Spence could be the first person to knock him out, maybe mid to late in the fight. Either way i have Spence dominating, but you never know with these unproven prospects.

Gary Russell and Gamboa were two other world beaters, and both suffered knockouts to guys that at that time weren't a big deal (in regards to recognition, not talent). I blame that on bad management though, at least in Russells case. If i were a manager, id avoid guys like Lomachenko, rigondeaux, and other fighters in that tier like a plague. They aren't well known enough to generate nearly enough revenue with the amount of risk they possess. Rigondeaux may very well have the best footwork I've ever seen, kills me that he's so old.

However, in this case we know what we're getting with Algieri, so its more of whether Spence is as good as his hype. Hoping to see a fun fight and hopefully some nice action.
    I think thats most likely true in this market but it also touches on the problems today. Fighters like Russell are coddled and pampered never facing any kind of adversity. As a result they build up a false sense of security. Russell built up a 24 and 0 record as was being compared to Roy Jones and yet it was clear against Loma that he had no plan B and more or less folded the moment things were not going his way. The same thing happened to Omar Chavez when he got beat by Paez Jr. Someone forgot to tell Omar that he may be in an actual contest at some point. Boxers should be matched tougher earlier imo and possibly lose like countless atgs did like Benny Leonard, Armstrong and Arguello did to name but a few. This coveting of the false 0 has done more to muddy up this sport then just about anything else. Brook is another great example as talented as he is. The guy has been fighting for 12 and has Shawn Porter as his legacy. That is pathetic. And Thurman. All show no go.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thurman is a wanker.

How dare he question bradleys resume.

Thread Information