Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ward vs Kovalev - Fight deal reached (apparently)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ward vs Kovalev - Fight deal reached (apparently)

You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ward vs Kovalev - Fight deal reached (apparently)

I like both fighters and glad they are meeting one another. Ward is taking on the best light heavyweight and will be ranked the best p4p fighter if he pulls this off.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I like both fighters and glad they are meeting one another. Ward is taking on the best light heavyweight and will be ranked the best p4p fighter if he pulls this off.

I feel ward will hug the fuck outta him for 12
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

I feel ward will hug the fuck outta him for 12
    Kov is a beast and will not allow it. Ward must be more aggressive and pro-active because i think the judges will not give him the decision.

Basically Ward will have to earn the victory.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is when we see how good Ward is. I fancy Kovalev here. Ward will try make it ugly but think Kov will over power him.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward needs one more fight to make sure his rust is gone because he will not beat kovalev if he isn't at 100%. I like both fighters so I'm torn who I want to win.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward is a proven great fighter IMO - you don't beat Froch, Kessler by comfrtable UD and TKO Chad dawson when you're not a big puncher unless you're great.

I'm picking Ward - I think he probably is the best fighter on the planet - but it's a very very exciting fight!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really do hope this happens! Taking it step by step though and see Kov deal with Chilemba back home and who-if-and when Wards second pert of the deal takes place. Love the style clash but if Ward goes in thinking all he has to do is bend and twist around some caveman he's in for a terrible night. Like Kovalev to win regardless.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still don't like Ward but it can't be denied he has always wanted the best opponents.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Krusher is a beast. I’ll give him that. He has that pre-historic Neanderthal man look, Nicolay Valuev's slightly better looking younger brother. He’s mean SOB. This mofo has killed someone in the ring.

And you’ve got to give Kovalev his props and respect. Pretty much all his fights and title defences are in the opponent’s back yard in front of their fans.

Having said that Kovalev does not hit as hard (at elite level) as his rep makes out that he does. I'm talking one punch KO ability. He knocked Nadjib Mohammedi down two times, he got up two times. He knocked down Nathan Cleverly down three times, he got up three times. When have you ever seen a ref count out a Kovalev fighter out for the ten and he’s flat on his back ?

Mike Tyson used to knock them out for the count of 30 !!!

Julian Jackson, Gerald McClellan, George Foreman, they used to knock them out COLD.

Kovalev couldn’t stop a geriatric old man but people think he’s gonna stop a fighter who is almost 20 years younger ? Harder to hit ? Faster ? Stronger ? And hits harder ?

Ward deserves all the credit coming to him. He’s a class act who doesn't clown just handles business. Kovalev’s weakness is his defence. He is there to be hit. I think Ward breaks him down with crisp counter punches en route to a points win.

It’s a very rare occurrence when the elite level puncher beats the elite level boxer. The most recent and obvious example of this disparity is the Garcia/Mattyhsse fight.

I think Ward is just too versatile and strong for Kovalev. I do think Kovalev is a tough guy who has power, but for a guy like Ward, neutralizing power is his forte.

This is the biggest fight in boxing right now and I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about two fighters at their peak, who are the absolute best in the sport. Money and politics have become secondary for once.

Boxing hasn't seen this in a while.
    Last edited by denilson200; 04-29-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Ward will start sharp, then realise he prefers to clinch and grapple after getting tagged, and then it's downhill from there. Kovalev by stoppage as Ward doesn't have a Hopkins chin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Ward needs one more fight to make sure his rust is gone because he will not beat kovalev if he isn't at 100%. I like both fighters so I'm torn who I want to win.
    Agreed. Ward was good but not great in his last fight. Wasn't consistently sharp.

This fight can wait.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post
    Krusher is a beast. I’ll give him that. He has that pre-historic Neanderthal man look, Nicolay Valuev's slightly better looking younger brother. He’s mean SOB. This mofo has killed someone in the ring.

And you’ve got to give Kovalev his props and respect. Pretty much all his fights and title defences are in the opponent’s back yard in front of their fans.

Having said that Kovalev does not hit that hard at elite level. I'm talking one punch KO ability. He knocked Nadjib Mohammedi down two times, he got up two times. He knocked down Nathan Cleverly down three times, he got up three times. When have you ever seen a ref count out a Kovalev fighter out for the ten and he’s flat on his back ?

Julian Jackson, Gerald McClellan, George Foreman, they used to knock them out COLD.

Kovalev couldn’t stop a geriatric old man but people think he’s gonna stop a fighter who is almost 20 years younger ? Harder to hit ? Faster ? Stronger ? And hits harder ?

Ward deserves all the credit coming to him. He’s a class act who doesn't clown just handles business. Kovalev’s weakness is his defence. He is there to be hit. I think Ward breaks him down with crisp counter punches en route to a points win.

It’s a very rare occurrence when the elite level puncher beats the elite level boxer. The most recent and obvious example of this disparity is the Garcia/Mattyhsse fight.

I think Ward is just too versatile and strong for Kovalev. I do think Kovalev is a tough guy who has power, but for a guy like Ward, neutralizing power is his forte.

This is the biggest fight in boxing right now and I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about two fighters at their peak, who are the absolute best in the sport. Money and politics have become secondary for once.

Probably your best post ever. Kovalev isn't a one punch KO artist but he has very heavy hands. He is also a very good boxer. His heavy hands just make him that much better. Just because you hit hard doesn't mean you will dominate. There have been countless hard hitters in the history of boxing that have just been good. Kovalev absolutely destroys all of his opponents.

Ward at his peak I think wins fairly easily. I say that because Ward is probably a top 3 talent (behind Jones and mayweather) that I have seen during my lifetime. He has just ended up being a partime boxer and wasted his prime years.

I see this fight as a haglar-leonard type of a fight. The smaller fighter who is a great boxer with great IQ fighting the heavy handed, good jabber bigger man.

I will still pick Ward but it's a close one I think.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

Having said that Kovalev does not hit that hard at elite level. I'm talking one punch KO ability. He knocked Nadjib Mohammedi down two times, he got up two times. He knocked down Nathan Cleverly down three times, he got up three times. When have you ever seen a ref count out a Kovalev fighter out for the ten and he’s flat on his back ?

Probably your best post ever. Kovalev isn't a one punch KO artist but he has very heavy hands. He is also a very good boxer. His heavy hands just make him that much better. Just because you hit hard doesn't mean you will dominate. There have been countless hard hitters in the history of boxing that have just been good. Kovalev absolutely destroys all of his opponents.

Ward at his peak I think wins fairly easily. I say that because Ward is probably a top 3 talent (behind Jones and mayweather) that I have seen during my lifetime. He has just ended up being a partime boxer and wasted his prime years.

I see this fight as a haglar-leonard type of a fight. The smaller fighter who is a great boxer with great IQ fighting the heavy handed, good jabber bigger man.

I will still pick Ward but it's a close one I think.
    It's a great match up and my pick on a Ward win is only 60%. I think Kovalex has a 40% chance. Kovalev is the bigger man. He does hit harder than anyone who Ward has faced and he has been a lot more active. Yeah he didn't stop B-Hop. But no-one stops B-Hop. Ward is going to have to get in the shape of his life for this one. But should he do so. It's a close one but I think will prevail with UD points win.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see how Ward can win , George Groves iced Paul Smith inside 2 rounds in 2011.
    Ward took until round 9 to stop Smith in 2015 , just don't see the big deal with Ward he has lots of skill but Kovalev is an underrated boxer who has hammer fists.

Kovalev KO 8.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information