Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing as a newcommer

Hi guys,
    Im from Germany and i want to start with Boxing. My goals are to loss some weight and get a better Body. My plan is 20 Miniuts of Training each Day before work. As morning Workout.
    So now i have some Questions about which punching bag is the good for a appartment. I cant use a hanging one because of the House rules ....

So my idea was buy this one megaboxsack.com/standboxsack/

The site is in German so i translate the technical Informations

Height: 170 cm, Results Overall Length: ca.142 cm, Diameter: about 39cm, Diameter base: about 69cm
    Filling: special foam. The weight is arround 140kg.

Is the Size and the weight ok? Im not sure 170cm is enough. I am 185 cm.

If the punching bag are not good can you give me some advise which kind of bag are better? because im really not a expert in this.

Which technics are good to learn at the start as a newcommer in Boxing? I have watch some Videos, but no idea where to start.

Would be really nice from you guys if you can help me to get a good training Plan. By the way if someone means the boxset I m about to buy isnt good pls recommend me a good one but explain to me why it's better, I have a budget of 180€.

Thank you guys on advance.

And sorry for bad english

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing as a newcommer

honestly, man, I'd rather buy 3-6 months in some boxing gym for 180 EU.
    The bag does not look convincing, also it will still generate noise and you may not be able to workout at home
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi boxing is quite a hard sport because you have to be dedicated, you have to want to learn. I recon with just a standard boxing bag or the one you linked to is quite boring for a newcomer, Way easier to start with in a gym, there's a few different bags, trainers, tell you how to punch. 140 kg stand is quite hard bag as well i recon.

If you go to the local boxing gym a few times and learn the basic and you like it, then i recommend you to buy your own boxing bag.

That's just my thoughts.

I started out with my own bag but was I was going really dedicated. so its not impossible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trust me on this. First I want you to understand that 20 minutes a day is nothing for getting in shape---it wont happen. Second, you can not teach yourself boxing by watching a video or reading a book. Third, you are a long way from punching anything, or investing any money in any kind of bag. (I know fighters in training that use their bed mattress proped up against a wall for punching). The end result after several months is that you will be out of shape, you will be no where close to even getting in a ring and sparring with anyone. And worst of all, when you finally do decide to get gym membership and learn the 'sweet science', your trainer will spend weeks having to undo all the wrong things you have picked up.
    If your funds are such that you can not afford to get into a boxing gym, then go by and ask them if you can work in the gym in exchange for free lessons. If not, then ask if you can hang around and watch. You can pick up a wealth of training tips by just watching.
    Ask some of the fighters if there is a retired boxing coach who might just be bored and would be glad to donate his free time to working with you. You can cut his grass or do odd jobs around his home for payment. I am doing that now. I am 73 and got tired of being expected to be at the gym on certain days and spend hours of my volunteer time teaching. I now work with a young fighter who was adopted by a family, and it has put the fun back into training someone...and I have a nice lawn and trimmed hedges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello...
    First of I want to tell you that boxing is a hard sports...Boxing is not a sports for every one only dedicated and hardworking people can adjust their-selves in this sports...Being a boxer i suggest you to use all of protective and training gears to prevent injury while you are practicing...I am a user of RDX Sports Gears...and I also recommend you use these quality gears...Because of its quality gears...RDX sports provide a large range of Boxing gloves and punching bags...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

20 minutes a day is not enough....

I'm a advanced novice that's been practicing for 1.7 years as of now. I train 3 hours everyday except Sundays. Sometimes on Saturday I train twice a day, I haven't even began to scratch the surface of things. If you aren't dedicated you'll go to sleep with a lot of headaches if you ever start sparring against quality opponents.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfighter View Post

I'm a advanced novice that's been practicing for 1.7 years as of now. I train 3 hours everyday except Sundays. Sometimes on Saturday I train twice a day, I haven't even began to scratch the surface of things. If you aren't dedicated you'll go to sleep with a lot of headaches if you ever start sparring against quality opponents.
    That is dedication

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfighter View Post

That is dedication
    Yes but I started to train seriously at 30 and I'm 32 now and I have no idea what I'm doing or why I'm dedicating myself to combat sports. I haven't been able to find a teacher that can plan a fight for me so I'm putting all this time into training and neglecting other aspects of my life and at the end of the road I have no fight planned. I met some guy last month that talked about having me fight some Russian guy but they expected me to drop 12 pounds in one month and even though the other guy said he was 0-0 I saw videos of him and he looked extremely experienced. Probably had an amateur background in Russia to be honest with you because he was slipping shots and throwing from angles like a professional and he was fight ready at the proper fight weight. I had to back away from that one and felt like a coward for a week, but there's no way I'm to put myself into that position and have to lose 12 pounds in one month while the other fighter doesn't have go through that hardship and I'm 0-0 and no amateur fights in boxing or Muay Thai so I have no business in the right with someone that's super experienced. My motivation is in the dumps right now so I'm going to get back into focusing on my business life (which I neglected) and the conditioning aspects of fighting in general so I can be ready for whatever shows up out of nowhere, perhaps I will pick up running as a sport and start training for marathons. But I'm just about giving up on the idea of ever having a meaningful fight, at this point if I fight at some hole in the wall fight show I'll consider it a success. So I'm just going to build myself up for one fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a poster on here that fights unlicensed here and he has fought in those white collar fights which you could easily do yourself. That would give you a reason and focus to train so hard.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a poster on here that fights unlicensed here and he has fought in those white collar fights which you could easily do yourself. That would give you a reason and focus to train so hard.
    That's a good idea! I will also start documenting my process to maintain motivation. At this point if I can get one meaningful 'fair' fight I will be happy. The fun is in the journey anyway and I don't want to die before ever being in a fight. But I also don't want to get thrown into the wolves because well that's another thing all together. These striking sports are more about technique than brute strength and I don't want to put myself into a strength vs technique situation on my first fight due to my lack of technique as of now when compared with someone with lets say 30+ amateur fights and properly schooled from an early age.

In the gym I'm in I'm the only one that is not fighting for purses out of the regular ones that come everyday and I don't think the trainers are too interested in putting any effort to find me a fair fight. I don't think they know how to at this point since they deal with advanced professionals and there's even one major alphabet belt holder training in this gym which gets most of the attention. They are not sure how to go about finding someone that's 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 for me. They are more worried about bigger events and the one time they did find me a potential opponent it was this random Russian guy in his early 20's who's obviously looking for a stepping stone to start padding his record and go deep into the professional ranks. After I said no to that they told me to just get in the best condition possible so I'm ready to step into a fight at any minute since it's hard to match up beginners ahead of time.

You gave me an idea though. I will start seeking out white collar events on my own and set short term goals. Thank you.
    Last edited by wanderingfighter; 07-01-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keeping a journal of how you are doing is a good way to stay motivated.

The poster I mentioned is @Tam Seddon, look up his threads and he has posted videos.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keeping a journal of how you are doing is a good way to stay motivated.

The poster I mentioned is @Tam Seddon, look up his threads and he has posted videos.
    You know as soon as I did a google search for white collar events I found one that takes place in September for beginners. I messaged them and it looks like they will start holding these events every month starting September. I never thought about booking my own fights. Thank you!

Thread Information