Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pushups Crunshes and Dips

no doubt scrap knows his stuff but throwing in words that the average joe is not going to understand is not helping anyone is it? This is a boxing forum and i appreciate that the audience is not going to understand all the terms i know and use on bodybuilding/fitness forums... hence, i use laymans terms where possible and explain.

throwing in broad technological/anatomical statements only makes people think 'hmmm.... whatever'
    bullsh*t really does baffle brains and in this case scrap has probably hit on a really good note/point but his method of coming across to his audience needs to be revised.

i say things are 'mickey mouse' when there is no depth to the post and buzz words thrown in without actually helping anyone, hence why yourself (adamGB) has had to step in and help out

MD: triple extension exercises? cut the bull i say, stop using phrases like this unless you really intend to explain yourself to actually help members

i am far from knowing everything, i just understand that this site is here to help and not to confuse further.

back on topic:

i know about the sliding filament theory, hence why i stretch out between sets. I also believe that the negative side of a lift is sometimes more beneficial to muscle growth than the contraction.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scrap never mentioned Triple extension, that was MD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sorry, got forgot to put Md's name in there to break from scrap... point still stands though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oooh! Someone got out the wrong side of bed.

Brilliant Adam - I get s**t for simply mentioning triple extension and for overcomplicating the issue, then you hit him with the sliding filament theory, one of the most difficult things to grasp! And get sainted for it!

Sorry for my fancy words Gutshot . I was picking up on something Scrap pointed out about using your whole body - triple or multiple extension movements are the ones where you move more than one joint i.e. squats, power cleans, pushing cars etc.
    The muscles that create the movement work hard and rest of the muscles work to stabilise the rest of the body (isometrically). It's the opposite of isolating muscle groups.

I'll get back to my Mickey Mouse comic...... It says here you shouldn't stretch between sets as stretching during intense exercise leads to even more soreness afterwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by md
    Oooh! Someone got out the wrong side of bed.
    i just prefer to see technical talk side by side with explanations

Brilliant Adam - I get s**t for simply mentioning triple extension and for overcomplicating the issue, then you hit him with the sliding filament theory, one of the most difficult things to grasp! And get sainted for it!
    Hmmm... didnt you just say that stretching was bad and makes soreness worse? So what is it, stretching helps your workouts as AdamGB said, or you saying it increases DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)...

Sorry for my fancy words Gutshot . I was picking up on something Scrap pointed out about using your whole body - triple or multiple extension movements are the ones where you move more than one joint i.e. squats, power cleans, pushing cars etc.
    thats why deadlifts and squats are part of my workout

The muscles that create the movement work hard and rest of the muscles work to stabilise the rest of the body (isometrically). It's the opposite of isolating muscle groups.
    couldnt agree more, thats why i have as many compound exercises as possible...

I'll get back to my Mickey Mouse comic...... It says here you shouldn't stretch between sets as stretching during intense exercise leads to even more soreness afterwards.
    i'll let you see if your comic has an answer to my question...

Quote Originally Posted by adamGB
    By implementing a larger stretching routine the Z discs are further apart and a more powerfull contraction can be acheived because the Myosin and Actin can pull together more.
    or what you are saying?

I've heard both before but if you search the net hard enough, everything your currently doing in the gym is bad.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats why you find a credible source to get your facts from

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stretch is a funny old word - what does it mean?

Does it mean 'to move a joint structure through its full range of motion' or does it mean 'to increase the length of an individual muscle'?

Well, I might be wrong but I think it means both.

A joint's ROM requires that the surrounding muscles be flexible and strong enough to allow movement to occur. So the training implication is to train the muscles surrounding the joint in as full a range as possible without causing undue stress to the joint and supporting structures. If you can achieve this, the likelihood of injury is reduced.

If you want to increase the ROM of a joint, the surrounding muscles and connective tissue need to be gently stretched through time for the adaptation to happen. If you do this during and immediately after a heavy session you're asking for more DOMS than you were going to get because the micro tears you caused in the muscle fibres are stretched - making them larger.

The training implication is, that it's recommended if you want to develop flexibility, wait at least 4 hours after a heavy session.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    Thats why you find a credible source to get your facts from
    exactly, we all could do alot to use more explanation and source posting when giving advice

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jesus firsttime Ive been on here since I posted .Like reading your post very informative gut shot.I thought I was keeping things understandable Ive been in boxing 45 years, and nobodys told me that before. but they have said Im deaf.If thats the case Ill try and Improve, The problem is I didnt type the wife did it for me.She is busy told me to do it myself last week. Never done it before,so I try to keep it brief.So bear with me
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stretching helps the muscle work more efficiently the more expansion,more the contraction It gives the muscle the ability to take on board more fuel eg the more you blow a ballon up and let it go the further it will go,through released energy. Plus it opens up the energys pathways lactic acid is removed qiucker It has the ability to cope with shock and impact far better.So you have far less chance of getting injured Less injurys more time to get fit without worry Gut I hate personal trainers more than you to me their a load ponces ITrained amatuers for 27 years for nothing except enjoyment and havent read mens fitness for 30 years regards
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ahhh looks like i've found a new e-buddy in scrap
    good to see somebody who knows their stuff, i didnt know if you were a 'cut n paster' from other websites, thats why i was heckling for more explanation also

personal trainers i'm keeping my mouth shut, by telling you what i think about them i could run the risk of getting banned by using foul language :P

still think they are a bunch of bryll cream loaded, toffy nosed, plastic personality, addidas sponsered, anal retentive in spite of facts, assholes!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GutShot
    still think they are a bunch of bryll cream loaded, toffy nosed, plastic personality, addidas sponsered, anal retentive in spite of facts, assholes!
    B&... :P

My mate is training to be a personal trainer... I've have to use that one on him...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

will he get his spandex/lycra shorts on completion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personal trainers are a f*^%$@! waste if time. There for people who need their egos massaged while they try to get sweaty. Physical therapists and coaches are there for real athletes - they top up their hard sought after knowledge from credible sources and don't just read peak performance (although quite credible).

Anotherthing, Gutshot, go and do some research you lazy f*&^%# and find out some stuff for yourself, then you'll apreciate the advice you get here. Guys like Scrap, Adam and myself are doing this for free. I advise top professionals (not just in boxing) for a living, so a little less cheek wouldn't go amiss.

Well done Scrap.....getting your runner in the 2min bracket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lmao, MD....

i do a fair bit of research thank you! Telling people to go out there and further research what vague posts dont explain is not the best advice for a forum wouldn't you say?

scrap has already said he'd put things in more laymans terms for other members who havent a clue.
    I'm far from being lazy, i was fishing for more info to be put in the posts that was all.

a little less cheek, maybe, but i'm all for not trying to confuse the noobs to training as much as possible.

what people say on the net is taken at face value, i could say i train olympic weight lifters (total bull), but it all means nothing if you cant help out the average jo with your posts here.
    I'm doing this for free as well, i have helped a fair few members and i intend to carry on... do me a favour and drop the high and mighty act, if you stepped off the soap box you would see that your the same as everyone, there's no need to 'big' yourself up

Thread Information